Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Stay Ahead Of The Game?
Rockgirl 06:14 AM 11-13-2014
With most of my previous groups, I didn't have to focus as much on staying ahead, but my current kids have thrown me for a loop! Any lull in the craziness, and I'm doing anything I can to prepare for the next big thing. Now I make breakfast first thing, instead of waiting until almost time. I fill milk cups for the next meal/snack and put them in the fridge, do as much lunch prep as possible early in the morning, etc. The less time I spend in the kitchen after everyone is here and going strong, the better.

I've also started pulling out the toys/activities we'll be using ahead of time, rather than doing it while the kids wait. Basically, my group can't handle any idle time whatsoever!

What are some things you do that make the day flow better?
Annalee 07:23 AM 11-13-2014
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
With most of my previous groups, I didn't have to focus as much on staying ahead, but my current kids have thrown me for a loop! Any lull in the craziness, and I'm doing anything I can to prepare for the next big thing. Now I make breakfast first thing, instead of waiting until almost time. I fill milk cups for the next meal/snack and put them in the fridge, do as much lunch prep as possible early in the morning, etc. The less time I spend in the kitchen after everyone is here and going strong, the better.

I've also started pulling out the toys/activities we'll be using ahead of time, rather than doing it while the kids wait. Basically, my group can't handle any idle time whatsoever!

Routine with planning.....my kids get ample free play but breakfast, lunch, nap are on time every day and the children learn to work with this.... they know what comes next by my lead.....
midaycare 10:24 AM 11-13-2014
My daycare is set up so the kids can play while I'm getting things ready. Most of the toys are already out and ready to be played out. I rotate some things each week, but the majority of it stays the same. Tent, ball pit, slide, books and reading corner, kitchen/store, area for little ones, dollhouse, blocks, coloring, puzzles, trucks, dinosaurs.

The bad thing is ... it gets really messy. The good thing is the kids are never bored or waiting for me. I don't mind the chaos as long as it gets picked up for snack time, lunch, nap time, after nap, and going home time. Then I hire my 7-year-old DS for $1 a day to help me pick up the rest right after school. But I usually have most of it done by then, so he can do some deep cleaning.
taylorw1210 10:53 AM 11-13-2014
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:

I do all of this on a regular basis because it makes our days much smoother.

We also have snack, lunch, and nap time at the same exact times everyday. If we don't, my kids are NOT happy. In between those times we alternate activities.
taylorw1210 10:54 AM 11-13-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
My daycare is set up so the kids can play while I'm getting things ready. Most of the toys are already out and ready to be played out. I rotate some things each week, but the majority of it stays the same. Tent, ball pit, slide, books and reading corner, kitchen/store, area for little ones, dollhouse, blocks, coloring, puzzles, trucks, dinosaurs.

The bad thing is ... it gets really messy. The good thing is the kids are never bored or waiting for me. I don't mind the chaos as long as it gets picked up for snack time, lunch, nap time, after nap, and going home time. Then I hire my 7-year-old DS for $1 a day to help me pick up the rest right after school. But I usually have most of it done by then, so he can do some deep cleaning.
I do the same! We sing the clean-up song at least 5x a day. Even my 18 mo. olds are great at picking up. And then at the end of the day I get one of my own 3 boys to do a final sweep through for various rewards.
Rockgirl 11:06 AM 11-13-2014
My daycare room is directly off of my kitchen, but as soon as I set foot in there to do anything, something is guaranteed to happen that will end in screaming. I've just never in all my years of daycare had a group this tough. I'd love to be able to let them have more choices, and more free play, but they are just not there. Hopefully in time! Until then, I've got to stay right on top of everything.
spinnymarie 11:13 AM 11-13-2014
We make milk cups the night before and make sure food is cut up/portioned if possible, in a ready-to-cook container (also if possible). We cook chicken in the crock pot once and week and store it shredded in the fridge for lunches. We have a monthly menu and a little chart that takes all the thinking out of it. Kids stop every so often and clean up certain toys, and we have a weekly checklist of all the things that need to be done and on what days.
Rockgirl 11:22 AM 11-13-2014
Good ideas--thanks!
midaycare 12:25 PM 11-13-2014
Originally Posted by taylorw1210:
I do the same! We sing the clean-up song at least 5x a day. Even my 18 mo. olds are great at picking up. And then at the end of the day I get one of my own 3 boys to do a final sweep through for various rewards.
It works well to keep the little ones occupied but there are days when my one "dumper" is here and I look around and I'm like, "why, why, why do I allow this?"
midaycare 12:31 PM 11-13-2014
I don't cook anything that takes longer than 20 minutes. I have everyone in high chairs when I start, which is at noon. Then I give them the first "course". Ha, ha it sounds like fine dining. The first course might be an apple, orange, banana, etc.

While they eat that, I start the main course. Then I pour milk while it is cooking and get them course #2. Either a veggie or a grain, whatever is needed.

This gives me time to cook and gives them time to enjoy their food. They also tend to try more things if they only have one thing in front of them at a time.

I do snacks the same way. I give them 2 things, one thing is always super easy and the "starter". Then I have time to do the other thing, which may be cutting grapes or carrots. Nothing that takes a long time, but still I don't want them complaining they are hungry while I'm taking 5 minutes to prepare something.
Reply Up