Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Killing Bugs
daycare 07:34 AM 07-17-2014
DC rules say:

If we are in the bugs home outside, we leave them be. We need to be the one to go away.

If the bugs are in our home, we will help take them outside if we can. If we can't we will suck them up with the vacuum cleaner/smash and in the trash.

I have a back yard full of the peel bugs, the kids call the rollie pollie???

The kids, all but one, have been having a great time with them. They are making RP farms, houses, stores and etc. HOurs have been invested into the kids caring and preparing for these harmless bugs.

I have one DCK who will go over and kill them. She will say I am going to smash your RP, but instead she tears the feet off one by one, and so on.

All of the kids, but her were very upset, a few cried. I made DCK sit in a time out. TOld her we don't HURT anything. Her response was, it's just a bug.

Of course, DCG 3 tells DCP that she had to take a break for too too long at DC (her words) because she smashed a bug.

When I tried to tell them the manor in which it was occurring, the DCP laughed, saying oh yeah, she's not afraid of anything.

I told them that we did not find it funny at the least, several of the kids cried. DCM actually said to me "Oh, now that your classroom is turning to an outdoor setting, are we going to learn about mother nature"?

I bite my tongue and called to the spirits to hold me back.....lol

I am not even open yet, but I am sure that this will be addressed again today at DO. Am I over reacting about this bug issues or should I stand my ground?
Blackcat31 07:39 AM 07-17-2014
I don't think I would address the killing bugs issue so much as I would address the fact that the point of her behavior seems only to be angering the other kids.

THAT is not acceptable.

She is being mean TO the other kids by doing something she KNOWS will make them upset.

It's no different than kicking over the sandcastle they built in the sandbox...know what I mean? It's not about the sand but that she is behaving like a playground bully.

That is how I would approach the DCP's about it.
daycare 07:44 AM 07-17-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't think I would address the killing bugs issue so much as I would address the fact that the point of her behavior seems only to be angering the other kids.

THAT is not acceptable.

She is being mean TO the other kids by doing something she KNOWS will make them upset.

It's no different than kicking over the sandcastle they built in the sandbox...know what I mean? It's not about the sand but that she is behaving like a playground bully.

Yes, I can't agree more.

Normally, if this were something that she was doing, like lets say throwing the baseball in the house (example) and as a rule we don't throw hardballs in the house, I would probably give her a squishy ball to throw instead.

I will use your approach, do you think that I should still allow her to kill the bugs even if she collects her own? This to me sounds deranged.
NightOwl 07:46 AM 07-17-2014
And it's just cruel! That alone would concern me as a parent. Kids who have no empathy and are cruel to animals/bugs sometimes grow up to have some very unsavory characteristics as an adult.
NightOwl 07:48 AM 07-17-2014
I would not allow her to collect her own bugs for a looooong time. She needs to demonstrate that she understands what she's doing is causing severe physical pain and in my eyes, equals torture.
Blackcat31 07:50 AM 07-17-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
Yes, I can't agree more.

Normally, if this were something that she was doing, like lets say throwing the baseball in the house (example) and as a rule we don't throw hardballs in the house, I would probably give her a squishy ball to throw instead.

I will use your approach, do you think that I should still allow her to kill the bugs even if she collects her own? This to me sounds deranged.
If she collects her own, I would let her simply because you aren't dictating to the other kids what they can and can't do with them...kwim?

While it does seem a bit cruel, kids are kids and they do learn from killing bugs... I know I did my fair share of stomping, squishing and flicking as kid to insects and such..

I guess if it gets out of hand and she seems to be focused soley on terrorizing the bug, I'd put a stop to it but she will more than likely lose interest in killing them when she finds herself playing alone. She will then learn a good lesson in how to play WITH others rather than against them.

I would also encourage her to "check them out" MORE than just hurt them. Give her a magnifying glass and ask her some leading questions. Give her a notebook and ask her to record what sort of footprints the bug leaves in the sand or what types of things the bug can or can't walk on, over or under..etc..

It's great that she is curious and not afraid of bugs but I would ignore her "meanness" as long as it's not done purposely to anger the others and just encourage kind behavior instead.
Angelsj 08:02 AM 07-17-2014
I can't get the image to post.

daycare 08:06 AM 07-17-2014
If she collects her own, I would let her simply because you aren't dictating to the other kids what they can and can't do with them...kwim?

While it does seem a bit cruel, kids are kids and they do learn from killing bugs... I know I did my fair share of stomping, squishing and flicking as kid to insects and such..

I guess if it gets out of hand and she seems to be focused soley on terrorizing the bug, I'd put a stop to it but she will more than likely lose interest in killing them when she finds herself playing alone. She will then learn a good lesson in how to play WITH others rather than against them.

I would also encourage her to "check them out" MORE than just hurt them. Give her a magnifying glass and ask her some leading questions. Give her a notebook and ask her to record what sort of footprints the bug leaves in the sand or what types of things the bug can or can't walk on, over or under..etc..

It's great that she is curious and not afraid of bugs but I would ignore her "meanness" as long as it's not done purposely to anger the others and just encourage kind behavior instead.
Thanks BC those are some great ideas. I did give them the magnifying glass, but did not think to open it more with the journals and open ended questions.

When I was a child I did not like bugs, but now they fascinate me.
My asst told me yesterday that she used to pour salt on a snail and it will bubble up, FRY so she said and die. I told her now I know what it wrong with you....lol
daycare 08:06 AM 07-17-2014
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
I can't get the image to post.
that is sooooo cute
Josiegirl 10:42 AM 07-17-2014
I hate it when they smash bugs with no 2nd thoughts. I always try to talk about the bugs outside like this 'Oh let's watch the daddy-long-leg go home so he can have dinner with his brothers and sisters.' And we'll catch bugs sometimes to observe, like watching how ladybugs open their shells and their wings magically appear underneath. We talk about how hard ants work, how they can carry something many times their size. I try to make it fun and interesting for them, as it sounds like you do too.
I'll be the first to admit I'll try to kill wasps or yellow jackets in our play area because I'm trying to avoid anyone getting stung. Including ME!
But I do have 1-2 kids who think bouncing balls on them or squishing them under their shoes is entertainment. Until all the others pipe up and say No! Don't do that!
My3cents 10:42 AM 07-17-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
DC rules say:

If we are in the bugs home outside, we leave them be. We need to be the one to go away.

If the bugs are in our home, we will help take them outside if we can. If we can't we will suck them up with the vacuum cleaner/smash and in the trash.

I have a back yard full of the peel bugs, the kids call the rollie pollie???

The kids, all but one, have been having a great time with them. They are making RP farms, houses, stores and etc. HOurs have been invested into the kids caring and preparing for these harmless bugs.

I have one DCK who will go over and kill them. She will say I am going to smash your RP, but instead she tears the feet off one by one, and so on.

All of the kids, but her were very upset, a few cried. I made DCK sit in a time out. TOld her we don't HURT anything. Her response was, it's just a bug.

Of course, DCG 3 tells DCP that she had to take a break for too too long at DC (her words) because she smashed a bug.

When I tried to tell them the manor in which it was occurring, the DCP laughed, saying oh yeah, she's not afraid of anything.

I told them that we did not find it funny at the least, several of the kids cried. DCM actually said to me "Oh, now that your classroom is turning to an outdoor setting, are we going to learn about mother nature"?

I bite my tongue and called to the spirits to hold me back.....lol

I am not even open yet, but I am sure that this will be addressed again today at DO. Am I over reacting about this bug issues or should I stand my ground?
whoaaaa.... Are you unhappy here daycare Mom?

No way should you allow a parent to talk to you in that tone or show lack of respect to you- your tongue should have said something. I too prob would have been shocked, but it would be addressed either phone call or pref verbal at next drop off or pick up. I would express that you expect to be a team and work together not against each other when it comes to issues.

Not nice Mom! UGH!

Stand your ground- It is one thing to squish a nasty bug but it is another to dismantle it one leg at time- If your learning about it you don't harm it at all- You are so in the right.

For the record I am a bug squisher.....esp if inside the house. I don't have it in me to be nice and set it free......esp spiders and things that sting. Ladybugs, and butterflies I don't mind- I fall somewhere in the middle when it comes to bugs- If I had someone that cared enough to capture and set it free I would be all for that and respect that. I also don't make a big deal over it and just get it done quick-
My3cents 10:43 AM 07-17-2014

THAT is not acceptable.

Josiegirl 10:45 AM 07-17-2014
I love that poster, I want one!!
Blackcat31 11:07 AM 07-17-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
It's not the same picture one but I did find these posters of the same quote:
https://www.etsy.com/search?q=Teachi...ote&ship_to=US
Angelsj 12:22 PM 07-17-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I have one very close to that hanging up on my bulletin board, after a discussion with a dcm about how leaving fireflies in a jar overnight was OK because they are just bugs. Sigh...
sahm1225 07:01 PM 07-17-2014
I am very afraid of all bugs & Insects, but we have the same rule as daycare (we don't kill bugs in their home, but if inside we try to let them out).

Just today I screamed & jumped while the kids laughed, but I successfully put outside a centipede.

I agree w the post about talking to the mom about her snotty comment. The child is going out of her way to be the playground bully & torture a bug.
Josiegirl 02:44 AM 07-18-2014
Thanks BC, for the link. I liked the jar one but 20 bucks is outside my budget. I wish I was more creative. BUT I have a very creative 11 yo dcg this summer who is always looking for something new to create! I think she now has something else to do today.
daycarediva 07:20 AM 07-23-2014
We do NOT kill bugs in my house. Inside or out. All of my kids know this. We talk about how big we are, how bugs are afraid of us. We learn their names, what they eat, how they help (or hurt) us. Every spring/summer we do a unit on them. I take pictures of the bugs they find, we put them on a poster and write their names underneath.

The more they know about something, the better they treat it, in my experience.
Kelly'sKids 07:38 AM 07-23-2014
When I was little I ATE every rollie pollie I saw. No idea why, I didn't eat other bugs, just those. I'm now 45 years old, and if my mom is ever with me and we see one she automatically asks me "Does it make you hungry ?". Lol mean ol lady :-)
Josiegirl 10:30 AM 07-23-2014
Originally Posted by Kelly'sKids:
When I was little I ATE every rollie pollie I saw. No idea why, I didn't eat other bugs, just those. I'm now 45 years old, and if my mom is ever with me and we see one she automatically asks me "Does it make you hungry ?". Lol mean ol lady :-)
Hahahaha!!! And ewwww

Earlier this week we were checking out a ladybug we'd found. I love ladybugs so we were letting it walk on our arms and watching it fly around, land, then we'd all race over to it. It was grand fun. Until my dog caught it in mid flight, gulped it into her mouth and spit it back out.
Reply Up