Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Degrees for Staying Indoors?
midaycare 09:52 AM 01-12-2016
I keep the kids indoors when it is below 20. I'm starting to second guess myself on that, though. I think we could do colder.
Play Care 10:33 AM 01-12-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I keep the kids indoors when it is below 20. I'm starting to second guess myself on that, though. I think we could do colder.
We do colder (15) so long as there is no additional wind chill.
hope 10:36 AM 01-12-2016
40 or below we are indoors. That is the rule the elementary schools here follow. I like it.
midaycare 10:38 AM 01-12-2016
Originally Posted by hope:
40 or below we are indoors. That is the rule the elementary schools here follow. I like it.
You're kidding right? 40 degrees? Do you live in Hawaii?
Unregistered 10:40 AM 01-12-2016
Our schools go outside if it's over 10 degrees
Unregistered 10:42 AM 01-12-2016

Those poor kids It must be miserable to be cooped inside when the weather is plenty warm enough to be out in the fresh air.
laundrymom 10:52 AM 01-12-2016
I do 30. I keep tiny ones though and they have zero fun when it's much colder than that.
Play Care 11:08 AM 01-12-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Those poor kids It must be miserable to be cooped inside when the weather is plenty warm enough to be out in the fresh air.
This is so dependent on where they live. While I agree 40 is downright balmy, in Florida or south Texas or California, it would be freezing. Please keep in mind that often people in these parts don't have appropriate gear for being outside in cooler weather as they get so few "freezes"
A provider from south Texas once told me there had been a "coats for kids" fundraiser but so many people complained that the weather doesn't warrant charity providing coats that they changed the fundraiser to something else
A lot of parents in those areas would be furious if their kids were out playing in 35 degree weather.
Play Care 11:11 AM 01-12-2016
I am cautious about doing things just because the public schools do it. Infants and toddlers have more sensitive skin than older children, are less mobile, and can get colder/frostbite much more quickly than bigger kids.
hope 11:16 AM 01-12-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I am cautious about doing things just because the public schools do it. Infants and toddlers have more sensitive skin than older children, are less mobile, and can get colder/frostbite much more quickly than bigger kids.
I don't do it just because the schools do it. It is just one of the things they do that I agree with.
If it is snowing I ask parents to bring snow suits and we play in the snow throughout the day.
And I have plenty of room in my home for children to run and play. It is big enough that they would never feel cooped up.
KSDC 11:44 AM 01-12-2016
I don't have a hard and fast temperature rule. It is a combo of temperature, cloud cover, and wind. If it is sunny with no wind we are out there 15-20 degrees. If it is cloudy and windy, then it has to be around 40 before I venture forth.

But, as PP said, this is very relative to where you live and how well prepared your munchkins are. Having the right outdoor clothes makes all the difference. I expect my families to send snow pants, heavy coats, hats and mittens. I would go crazy in the winter if I had to keep everyone inside until the thermometer was above 40!
mommyneedsadayoff 11:49 AM 01-12-2016
It all depends on the wind here. We went sledding and it was 5 degrees out, but there was no wind and it was great! Now today, it is minus 7 and there is a decent wind, so we wouldn't go outside. It also depends on if I have my little guy here (18 months). He actually loves to go outside, but keeping a hat and gloves on him is tricky
Play Care 12:21 PM 01-12-2016
I don't do it just because the schools do it. It is just one of the things they do that I agree with.
If it is snowing I ask parents to bring snow suits and we play in the snow throughout the day.
And I have plenty of room in my home for children to run and play. It is big enough that they would never feel cooped up.
I'm sorry, I meant those who bring littles out in cold weather because their schools do. I wasn't referring to your policy, per se.
Controlled Chaos 12:21 PM 01-12-2016
Its a combination of temp and air quality.

We went out last week on a green air day, it was 22 degrees.

Today I kept us in, it was 25 but yellow air day. The baby also is getting over croup so I am being extra cautious.
Thriftylady 12:23 PM 01-12-2016
If I have any say, it has to be at least 45! But some days they just need out for a little bit.
Ariana 12:40 PM 01-12-2016
LOL! I'm in Canads so during the winter we go out until it's 1.4 F or -17 C
kendallina 12:42 PM 01-12-2016
I'm glad you asked this. I was questioning myself yesterday when I kept them in at just below 20 degrees. I've always kept them in if it's below 20, but it was the first snow of the year and they realllllly wanted to go out. I had a child with no snowpants, so I kept them in, but really think we could have gone even if just for 15 minutes.

Also, if school is in session we HAVE to walk to the bus stop in the afternoon, regardless of temp. So, if we can do that, we certainly could play in the fun stuff for a few minutes.

But, I'm 8 months pregnant and wasn't jazzed about getting them all dressed and ready...
midaycare 01:08 PM 01-12-2016
This is so dependent on where they live. While I agree 40 is downright balmy, in Florida or south Texas or California, it would be freezing. Please keep in mind that often people in these parts don't have appropriate gear for being outside in cooler weather as they get so few "freezes"
A provider from south Texas once told me there had been a "coats for kids" fundraiser but so many people complained that the weather doesn't warrant charity providing coats that they changed the fundraiser to something else
A lot of parents in those areas would be furious if their kids were out playing in 35 degree weather.

Brittany 01:28 PM 01-12-2016
Yeah I am in Southern California, and parents would be in shock if kids were out in anything below 40ish. But usually when it's this cold it's raining and windy.
Thriftylady 01:53 PM 01-12-2016
That and other factors. I have fibromyalgia and the cold kills me. I do everything I can to avoid it. It is 23 here today and snowy. They cancelled school but more for the temps than the couple inches of snow. I figure if the schools don't want the kids out at bus stops I shouldn't have them out either. Luckily our bus stop is in my yard, but not everyone is so lucky, it just happens to be where it is for us. I can send them out when I hear the bus coming (I wish my house was turned some so I could see it), and I stand on the porch and watch them so I have eyes on all my kids at once that way.
Blackcat31 02:06 PM 01-12-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
LOL! I'm in Canads so during the winter we go out until it's 1.4 F or -17 C
LOL! But a majority of Canadians live farther south than I do. Most of our winter temps are below zero.

Its currently -20F actual temp here (which is -28.8C) and then add in wind chill and its a balmy -30F/-34C
Ariana 02:39 PM 01-12-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
LOL! But a majority of Canadians live farther south than I do. Most of our winter temps are below zero.

Its currently -20F actual temp here (which is -28.8C) and then add in wind chill and its a balmy -30F/-34C
Do you go outside in that? The majority of the winter here (Eastern Ontario) is around -20C but we definitely dip below that as well sometimes. Public Health has made the cutoff for preschool kids to be -17C which is what I adhere too.
Blackcat31 03:08 PM 01-12-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Do you go outside in that? The majority of the winter here (Eastern Ontario) is around -20C but we definitely dip below that as well sometimes. Public Health has made the cutoff for preschool kids to be -17C which is what I adhere too.
I do, but the daycare kids don't. We've gone out when it's below zero before (otherwise we'd be inside all winter) but it's highly dependent on the day too... sometimes even 10 minutes outside is enough to get some much needed fresh air.

Sometimes we've taken 15-20 minutes to get dressed/ready only to go out for 10 minutes. Do that 3X's in one day and we managed to sneak in half hour of outside time.

Last winter we had more than 100 days where the temp was well below 0. It gets so cold here, our big lake (Lake Superior) actually freezes over. IRCC, no other Great Lake does that. I live close to one of the coldest recorded temps in the US (-60F actual temp).
284878 07:02 AM 01-13-2016
My licenser told me that I needed to let my parents know that we would not go out when it was to cold. I told her I did and the parent was upset, she wanted her babies (yes babies, one was an infant other was about 18 months) to go out everyday. Anyways, I told her I was using the chart I found on here. I had printed and laminated it. I showed it to her and she liked it, thought it was a great resource.

https://www.daycare.com/news/daycare_and_weather.html
sharlan 07:07 AM 01-13-2016
I don't venture outside if it's less than 70*. If we need jackets it's tooooooooooo cold.
sharlan 07:09 AM 01-13-2016
I do, but the daycare kids don't. We've gone out when it's below zero before (otherwise we'd be inside all winter) but it's highly dependent on the day too... sometimes even 10 minutes outside is enough to get some much needed fresh air.

Sometimes we've taken 15-20 minutes to get dressed/ready only to go out for 10 minutes. Do that 3X's in one day and we managed to sneak in half hour of outside time.

Last winter we had more than 100 days where the temp was well below 0. It gets so cold here, our big lake (Lake Superior) actually freezes over. IRCC, no other Great Lake does that. I live close to one of the coldest recorded temps in the US (-60F actual temp).
No way would I be able to handle that. Give the 100* days and I'm fine.
Hunni Bee 08:46 AM 01-13-2016
It's 29 with 40 mph gusts. That would require us to only be out about 10 mins. It takes longer than that to get our winter gear on. I passed. We were out for a field trip this morning so they at least got some fresh air in their lungs.

We'll go out in the afternoon when its a bit warmer.

It was 77 here on Christmas just to give some perspective on how cold 29 seems
Rockgirl 08:50 AM 01-13-2016
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
It's 29 with 40 mph gusts. That would require us to only be out about 10 mins. It takes longer than that to get our winter gear on. I passed. We were out for a field trip this morning so they at least got some fresh air in their lungs.

We'll go out in the afternoon when its a bit warmer.

It was 77 here on Christmas just to give some perspective on how cold 29 seems
The 40 mph gusts would have been a deal breaker for me! I live on the plains--it is very windy here a lot of the time. It definitely factors in when I'm deciding whether to go out.
Unregistered 09:01 AM 01-13-2016
We actually were just having this discussion...we have been going out, or 3 and ups even when wind chill is -10 F and kids have all their gear...just for less time. At least they get the fresh air. But in order to give clear guidelines to staff I feel like we probably do need to have a policy...
Unregistered 11:42 AM 01-13-2016
I'm in southern Oregon. We stay in if it's below 45 or over 90.
BabyMonkeys 04:46 PM 01-13-2016
I'm in florida and the parents would not be happy if I took the kids out if it was below 60. I took them outside today and it was 64. I dressed them in long sleeve pajamas, put a pair of warm pants and sweat shirt on top of those, and then put their little hoodies on them. I can just see northerners mocking us
Blackcat31 04:49 PM 01-13-2016
Originally Posted by angelw2babies:
I'm in florida and the parents would not be happy if I took the kids out if it was below 60. I took them outside today and it was 64. I dressed them in long sleeve pajamas, put a pair of warm pants and sweat shirt on top of those, and then put their little hoodies on them. I can just see northerners mocking us
NOT mocking you but yeah, we swim at 64F

.....I get it though
Controlled Chaos 05:50 PM 01-13-2016

Haha it's funny how those in colder areas have "thicker blood". We had a sprinkler day at 68 degrees this fall
stephanie 07:02 PM 01-13-2016
At my center toddlers (16 mos and up) go outside if it's over 15, and preschoolers go out if it's above 0. (All kids have to have snow pants, boots, hat, coat, and mittens.)

I live in MN though, it all depends on what people are used to in your area.
spedmommy4 10:48 PM 01-13-2016

.....I get it though
It's funny how the perspectives change from state to state. My son played rec soccer in Oregon and those kids played in the bitter cold and the pouring rain. Here in California, the game gets called off if there is a light drizzle.

We do love the sun here and I won't take the kids out when it's below 40 degrees. California has turned me into a pansy.
auntymimi 06:30 AM 01-14-2016

.....I get it though
I've lived in the mountains for 8 years now, but grew up in central Florida. Now when I come back to visit I'm ready for the beach, and they're all like "it's only 68 degrees, it's freezing out!" Lol. It's all in what you get used to, I guess.
Rockgirl 06:34 AM 01-14-2016
It was sunny and 45 after lunch here yesterday, and after a few minutes of running and jumping, kids were shedding their jackets.
auntymimi 06:34 AM 01-14-2016
We were all out playing in snow yesterday at 33 degrees and went out the day before at 27 degrees. In fact, yesterday, the kids kept trying to take off their jackets because they were too warm in their bibs and underarmor. For me it depends on wind chill, sunny or not, ect. I keep snow gear and boots for all my kiddos here so we go outside pretty much year round. Being outside is a huge part of my program.
Blackcat31 06:35 AM 01-14-2016
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
It's funny how the perspectives change from state to state. My son played rec soccer in Oregon and those kids played in the bitter cold and the pouring rain. Here in California, the game gets called off if there is a light drizzle.

We do love the sun here and I won't take the kids out when it's below 40 degrees. California has turned me into a pansy.
lol! This was a recent factor in an NFL game....

My state team (MN Vikings) were said to have an advantage because they were playing out doors in the bitter cold and the team they were playing was not from the north.....

So it even affects the NFL
Unregistered 03:05 PM 01-14-2016
I'm in WI. Our schools go out zero and above. I stay in if it's below 20. I live in a wooded valley where the wind rarely blows. So really it's usually fairly decent outside. It was way too cold the beginning of this week....zero. Today was 34 and it was sunny and truly felt balmy! I told parents..."It's hot outside today!" They agreed!
mommyneedsadayoff 03:23 PM 01-14-2016
lol! This was a recent factor in an NFL game....

My state team (MN Vikings) were said to have an advantage because they were playing out doors in the bitter cold and the team they were playing was not from the north.....

So it even affects the NFL
Huge viking family here! They did way better than we thought they would...well, until the end. It's so hard to be a vikings fan sometimes!!
Pepperth 05:26 AM 01-15-2016
I remember back when I was in school, and it would hit 40 degrees. Everybody would be in short sleeves and mittens so we could have amazing snowball fights.
midaycare 06:46 AM 01-15-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm in WI. Our schools go out zero and above. I stay in if it's below 20. I live in a wooded valley where the wind rarely blows. So really it's usually fairly decent outside. It was way too cold the beginning of this week....zero. Today was 34 and it was sunny and truly felt balmy! I told parents..."It's hot outside today!" They agreed!
Sounds like here! I usually don't wear a coat until it reaches 32 or below
midaycare 06:51 AM 01-15-2016
Well, I couldn't handle your bugs, so...I'm quite the wuss when it comes to cockroaches, big insects, snakes, and other "stuff". It's too cold here for all that.
BabyMonkeys 08:30 PM 01-15-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Well, I couldn't handle your bugs, so...I'm quite the wuss when it comes to cockroaches, big insects, snakes, and other "stuff". It's too cold here for all that.
My husband has been in pest control for 18+ years. He will always have a job! The only thing I am a total wuss with is spiders...cringe....bugs, rodents, snakes? I'm good. Just keep those damn spiders away!
Tags:cold weather, temperature, weather chart
Reply Up