Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Think People Are Walking On Me
Unregistered 06:47 AM 07-10-2014
Ok, don't judge me, I am writing as unregistered for privacy. I worked when my children were young and they went to home daycare. It was a great experience for my kids and I. But my heart wasn't into working outside the home. I convinced my husband to let me be a SAHM. I did that until my children were both well into grade school and then I went back to work where I could work their hours and be there before and after school. I decided to leave my past employer and open a home daycare (I did this briefly when I first quit). I have worked with children in the past.

I know what it is like to pay daycare and I know what it is like to receive money for being a daycare provider. My choice has been to not charge my parents when their children are not here. For the most part, it hasn't been a problem until the last couple months. Well, I am rethinking my choice. I have two children that have parents with pretty flexible work schedules and I have been getting lots of texts saying so and so won't be there today. I went into this with the idea of providing a service because I love children. I won't deny that the money helps me pay some of the bills. But, enough is enough. I only keep 2 children plus one during the school year. I got up at 6:00 am to get ready for the day (one child arrives early and one later) and then get a text (from the early child's parent) that dcp has decided to just keep the child home. UGH! What was I thinking. Months of insanity, I guess!

So, lead me to a good form, give me ideas. HELP!
hope 06:54 AM 07-10-2014
You can write up a new contract that includes days paid when they are at daycare or home. They pay for their slot. Explain to the parents that you do wake up each and every morning and plan your days as if they were coming every day. You need to be paid for that. If they don't like it then good luck to them finding a daycare that will accommodate such a crazy schedule.
snbauser 06:58 AM 07-10-2014
If you want to continue to allow them to not pay when they don't attend, what about modifying it so they don't pay with say 24 hours notice but the do pay for less than that? This way they can't call that morning and change plans without paying for the day.
finsup 06:58 AM 07-10-2014
I have been there! I started off the same way, I didn't want parents paying for days the kids weren't here. Knowing the costs of childcare, I wanted to help parents out and it was a HUGE selling point. But, the same thing happened to me that's happening to you. Lots of texts/calls saying so and so won't be there today or Grandma's going to watch him etc. After too long of that happening, I said enough was enough. I re-evaluated my rates, and set a weekly part time, full time, or drop in rate. Money wise, full time rate is the best deal, then part time, then drop in. The drop in rate is pretty high and doesn't guarantee a spot. My rates are a little less then they were when I was charging daily, but, I know I have a guaranteed amount, paid at the start of each week. No dealing with late payments, no unpredictable income, it is MUCH better.
I do have one family on the old plan of paying daily however and I will say with them, it's been awesome. No problems what so ever. But that's the only family it's ever happened it. But yeah, really consider making the switch, it's a lot less stress
KiddieCahoots 08:38 AM 07-10-2014
Your opening line gave me a chuckle....Ok, don't judge me.

If you want to keep offering no payment for days off, then the 24 hour notice snbauser suggested I'd definitely do.

If it's more of the loss of income and inconsistencies, then rewrite your contract to get paid no matter what. That way, if you still have to deal with the inconsistencies, at least you get paid.
nanglgrl 08:45 AM 07-10-2014
It's never a problem until it is KWIM? I think most providers started out trying to do what they thought was the most fair for the parents thinking it wouldn't be a problem. There is a problem though, most parents will do what they feel is most fair to them too without a thought of their provider. I used to do the same until everyone called out a ton in December and I had little money for the holidays.

I would tell the parents it's not working for you anymore and charge them for the spot. If that's to much for you them offer the 24 hour notice of absences.
craftymissbeth 08:48 AM 07-10-2014
Maybe you could require a schedule a week in advance? Or when they pay each Friday, they submit the schedule for the next week. For whatever reason I need a LOT of warning when something changes... I don't do well with change at all. I get anxious when someone doesn't come one day without letting me know or if they ask to come on a day they don't usually with little notice. Then again, I'm weird and socially impaired so... yeah
nannyde 10:03 AM 07-10-2014
When providers who were previous child care consumers open up shop they want to offer the services they wanted when they were the parent. What parents want is to save money, have "flexibility". When a parent saves money the provider doesn't get that money. When something is easy for the parent it is hard for the provider. The only providers that can afford not to be paid are the ones who don't need the money. The only providers who can be "flexible" are the ones who profit from the child being there for some other reason than money.

Some providers love kids and want to be around them. Some providers want a playmate for their kid. Some providers want to do community service. Those providers are very rare and when they realize how much work it is they quit. They can get their kid fix elsewhere, do community service elsewhere, and get playdates elsewhere.

If your business model is to provide your daycare parent dream service you won't be in business for long. The average provider quits at the two year mark. This is one of the main reasons why.
Play Care 10:18 AM 07-10-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
When providers who were previous child care consumers open up shop they want to offer the services they wanted when they were the parent. What parents want is to save money, have "flexibility". When a parent saves money the provider doesn't get that money. When something is easy for the parent it is hard for the provider. The only providers that can afford not to be paid are the ones who don't need the money. The only providers who can be "flexible" are the ones who profit from the child being there for some other reason than money.

Some providers love kids and want to be around them. Some providers want a playmate for their kid. Some providers want to do community service. Those providers are very rare and when they realize how much work it is they quit. They can get their kid fix elsewhere, do community service elsewhere, and get playdates elsewhere.

If your business model is to provide your daycare parent dream service you won't be in business for long. The average provider quits at the two year mark. This is one of the main reasons why.

Angelsj 11:00 AM 07-10-2014

Apparently, I am not average.
I have provided this style of care for over 30 years. It can be done, but you do have to accept that things are going to happen. You will get texts that so and so won't be there (though a chat about respect can limit those) and you will get 'can I bring them today?' texts.
I also do all sorts of naughty daycare things, like accept evenings/overnighters (for the right kids) and get paid after service is rendered.
I will say, however, that I have at least two families that pay a full month in advance. Their choice.

Keys:
Provide care at just below your full level, leaving one to two spaces open.This way you can afford to take kids that fill in spaces. I have 16 kids on my registry. I am allowed 10 at a time. I typically only fill my days to 8 or less. First text, first serve.
Work with parents who respect what you do and appreciate the style of care you offer.
Demand respect and correct things that bother you. (If you want 24 hours notice, demand that or they are charged for a standard or average day.)

All that said, I am in a countdown. I just got my RN license, and I am ready to move on. Maybe I am just slow...lol
AmyKidsCo 11:36 AM 07-10-2014
Originally Posted by snbauser:
If you want to continue to allow them to not pay when they don't attend, what about modifying it so they don't pay with say 24 hours notice but the do pay for less than that? This way they can't call that morning and change plans without paying for the day.
I would be SO frustrated if I got up early for a family and they didn't show for any reason besides dire emergency.

I think that this is a great compromise - the family can still cancel if they want, but you get 24 hours notice so you're not getting up early for nothing. Doctors, dentists, even my hair stylist require 24 hours notice of cancellations; why not child care too?
MarinaVanessa 05:22 PM 07-10-2014
The only providers who can be "flexible" are the ones who profit from the child being there for some other reason than money.
This is true. I don't typically take more than 2 PT kids and really only if their schedules compliment each other and take up one FT spot. I did accept a 3rd PT client though because he is "special needs" because I was trying to get into a pilot program for our QRIS program but I din't have enough infants and toddlers to qualify. Having a special needs child with an IEP enrolled counts so I accepted him so that I could stay within ratio and qualify. I did get accepted btw, pretty much as soon as I notified them that I had enrolled him. I would NOT have accepted him as PT (has nothing to do with his abilities) otherwise.

I've learned that whatever it is that I'm doing has to benefit me too, not just my client.
daycarediva 06:08 PM 07-10-2014
If you still want to be somewhat flexible/offer unpaid days, you could do a few different things---

set up a contract up with a minimum payment, eg. minimum payment of $90 for 3 days due, regardless of attendance. Bill additional days at the same rate Eg. 4=120 5=150.

contract with minimum days/payment and bill the additional days at a higher/drop in rate. 3 days=90 other days 40/each.

Set up a tiered scale, FT gets the best daily rate, 150.

Raise your daily rate and have them submit a schedule that they must stick to/pay for by Friday of the week prior to care.

with ANY of the options, I would require notice by 6pm the evening before at least unless it's an emergency/ eg child wakes up sick.
Controlled Chaos 08:53 AM 07-11-2014

Hmm now why I want to quit after 2 years makes sense
nannyde 10:01 AM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Hmm now why I want to quit after 2 years makes sense
Yup. Few are prepared for how hard it is.
My3cents 11:59 AM 07-11-2014

yeap!!! This all the way.

Seems to be a lot of this these days. I have posted on this on a few other threads.

In order to be able to maintain the daycare and keep it running smoothly you need to be able to depend upon a weekly steady income.

Good policy/rule/hand book and contract are a must.

If your just dabbling for extra money for short term then do what you want. If your in this for the long hall I suggest what Nan said, what I have said and what many others have said on this subject. Start off by being good to yourself and giving yourself paid days off, personal/sick time and paid vacations. Your going to be working long hours and with very little benefits. Have consistent rules and clear ones. Be paid for the child's slot not for attendance. Read the forums a lot- great wealth of information here at your finger tips. Best-
rebekki78 01:38 PM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I think this could be a good option for you to try!! That way you don't feel like you got up and got ready for the day for nothing! It stinks, I know, but it even bites when parents do pay you for the day.
rebekki78 01:40 PM 07-11-2014

This is very well written.
Controlled Chaos 02:22 PM 07-11-2014
Yup. Few are prepared for how hard it is.
I had worked at a large daycare facility previously so I thought I was set. But the business end is overwhelming. I feel for you op. I am dealing with the same.
Tags:getting walked on, new providers, policy changes, taking advantage
Reply Up