Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Handle Diarrhea?
Valerie928 10:43 AM 10-13-2020
This one is always tough, I feel like I am always not sure if sending home is right or wrong. Today I sent dcg home for diarrhea. I let it go the first time like usual unless there is a fever ect. But today she had no symptoms other than diarrhea. I sent home the second after the second incident because it leaked out from her diaper onto her pants and was pure liquid. I feel like it was ok to call for pick up, ......but kid was acting normal. Kids are funny that way. How do you all handle diarrhea in your daycare?
Littlepeopleprovider 10:47 AM 10-13-2020
I would do the same as you did if it leaked through. Prior to COVID-19, I would wait until the second time to send home, but now I send home after the first time.
Cat Herder 11:25 AM 10-13-2020
The go home after the second one, same as you.

The cause does not matter.

They can return 24 hours after all symptoms have passed, minimum 48 hours out because I had to send them home.
AmyKidsCo 01:02 PM 10-13-2020
Depends... If it's contained in the diaper I'll send home after a second time, but if it's not contained they go home right away. It's a sanitation issue - I can't keep things clean if there's poo running down someone's legs.
Blackcat31 01:16 PM 10-13-2020
I don’t.
Diarrhea = goes home.
Snowmom 01:52 PM 10-13-2020
One and done.
Feces is one of the #1 disease spreaders. So many viruses shed through feces!
Not to mention the time it takes to clean up. No thanks. One incident and they're sent home.
springv 02:01 PM 10-13-2020
One of the symptoms of covid is vomiting and diarrhea but it can also be the beginnings of a stomach virus as well. You did the right thing to send her home and if I were you, I would be sure that she's out at least 14 days to make sure it's not covid-19
Valerie928 04:07 PM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
One of the symptoms of covid is vomiting and diarrhea but it can also be the beginnings of a stomach virus as well. You did the right thing to send her home and if I were you, I would be sure that she's out at least 14 days to make sure it's not covid-19
While I am always concerned about covid, I will not exclude this baby for 14 days. It's not in my budget.
Ariana 10:45 AM 10-14-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don’t.
Diarrhea = goes home.
Same! Precovid I had a zero tolerance for diarrhea.
Ariana 10:46 AM 10-14-2020
Originally Posted by Valerie928:
While I am always concerned about covid, I will not exclude this baby for 14 days. It's not in my budget.
My parents still have to pay.
Valerie928 12:10 PM 10-14-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
My parents still have to pay.
Your families pay for a 14 day exclusion?
Blackcat31 12:55 PM 10-14-2020
Mine do. Their child's absence or exclusion is not my responsibility. I had that responsibility when my kids were young but they are now grown.

I currently have a family that just got over COVID. The parents were both quarantined for 14 days. The two kids' quarantine didn't start until the parents quarantine ended.

The family has paid for their child care the entire time. (almost a full month).
Snowmom 01:32 PM 10-14-2020
Absolutely! It's the state of the world right now.
I'm open=they pay.
They agreed to pay for any/all sick days when they signed on. Of course, it wasn't 14 days pre-covid and it will likely revert back to pre-covid policy in the near future. But in the meantime, this is what we're all dealing with right now. School would make them stay home too!
Valerie928 03:05 PM 10-14-2020
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Absolutely! It's the state of the world right now.
I'm open=they pay.
They agreed to pay for any/all sick days when they signed on. Of course, it wasn't 14 days pre-covid and it will likely revert back to pre-covid policy in the near future. But in the meantime, this is what we're all dealing with right now. School would make them stay home too!
Looks like I need to up my game 🙂
Tags:24/48, 24/48 hours, 24/48 rule, illness policy
Reply Up