Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do I Need to Remember to Not Forget? ;-)
Msdunny 10:47 AM 12-16-2018
I have my first interview today to reopen my in-home daycare. Family with a 3-year-old. My interview skills are a bit rusty, so what questions or information do I need to make sure I remember?

My handbook is ready and I will go over it. I have established their hours and days.

Thanks in advance!
littlefriends 12:18 PM 12-16-2018
I always go over my handbook page by page and make sure they understand all of it thoroughly and ask any questions I need to know like their typical home schedule for sleep, meals, if their kiddos been in daycare before and if so what type of environment, how their typical behavior is, how they deal with punishment at home and what they prefer from me as far as how much communication they expect etc. I just try to get as much of a feel for the family as possible so I can tell if it’s going to work or not.
Meeko 07:17 PM 12-16-2018
Be in charge.

You are interviewing THEM to see if they would be a good fit for your daycare.

They are not interviewing you for a job and they will never be your employers.

Answer their questions with no nonsense facts. This your policy on this or that. Not up for debate. If they want favors...well, you don't offer that service. Rinse. Repeat.

I make it clear when setting up a visit that I am interviewing several families for the same position. I will decide by a certain date which child I decide to take. So they know from the start that their child is not my only option. After the interview, I thank them for coming and repeat that I will let them know IF they have the spot.

Parents are waaay more respectful when they know you have other options.
Mike 09:05 PM 12-16-2018
Your contract does include a trial period, right?
Michael 12:47 PM 12-17-2018
Here are some threads on Interview Checklist: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ew+-+checklist

and Interview Questions: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...view+questions
Blackcat31 01:23 PM 12-17-2018
I have an interview checklist/form I use to guide me during interviews. I start keeping info from initial contact through the tour/interview and then afterwards.

This helps me remember what I did and didn't discuss with the family as well as helps me keep track of the individual things the family told me, requested or needs.

This is the check-list guide I use
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8_...ew?usp=sharing
Ariana 02:04 PM 12-17-2018
At this age I would ask:

Has he been in care before? Why or why not? Why did you leave that provider (get basic background info if child had been in care).

If child has not been in care before, does he attend playgroups (get an idea of how much socialization this kids has had)

Does he nap? Let them know your napping policy.

Any behaviors you should be made aware of (watch the child to see behaviors for yourself and see how parents interact with him). Let them know your policies on behavior and your expectations. This is when I let them know that I do not tolerate hitting or pushing.

Any allergies?

Favourite foods? Favourite things to do/play with? This will give you an indication of developmental level and nutrition at home.
amberrose3dg 04:02 AM 12-18-2018
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
I have my first interview today to reopen my in-home daycare. Family with a 3-year-old. My interview skills are a bit rusty, so what questions or information do I need to make sure I remember?

My handbook is ready and I will go over it. I have established their hours and days.

Thanks in advance!
Any items that are important that you will not budge on. For me that is being late to pick up and paid time off. I go over them in great detail so they do not enroll unless they are ok with that. Do not expect them to read your contract cause they won't. Heck, I have had people still question me on these policies the first time they come up after I tell them repeatedly at the interview.
Msdunny 06:31 AM 12-19-2018
Thanks everyone! I will use all the tips provided.

(Because of this forum, I have learned to have contracted hours, to have a handbook with my policies ready for every family, and to remember that I run my own business and am not being 'hired' by the families that walk through my door. Thanks for this!!)
Mom2Two 11:27 AM 12-19-2018
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I make it clear when setting up a visit that I am interviewing several families for the same position. I will decide by a certain date which child I decide to take. So they know from the start that their child is not my only option. After the interview, I thank them for coming and repeat that I will let them know IF they have the spot.

Parents are waaay more respectful when they know you have other options.
I think I want to start doing this one.

Originally Posted by Ariana:
Has he been in care before? Why or why not? Why did you leave that provider (get basic background info if child had been in care).
I like to do that one, just to try to find out if they were booted out of the last one. Also, you find out things like if the child was watched by teenagers during the Summer--it might mean that they'll leave next Summer.

Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Any items that are important that you will not budge on.
For me this is sick policy. I ask if the family has back up care.
Tags:first interview, interview - checklist, interview questions
Reply Up