Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New 9 Month Old...Help Please..Been a Loooooog Time
handemom 05:22 PM 10-18-2010
hello!

I just started watching a 9 month old. She is currently on formula. Parents said that she has NO schedule and they have never been able to get her on one.

she arrives at 8:30 every morning. Has a 4 oz. bottle at 10 a.m. and a small jar of baby food at 12:00 and then another 4 oz. bottle at 3:00 p.m. she goes home around 4:30.

She only naps at the 10:00 feeding and that is ONLY if she falls asleep during eating her bottle. more often then not, it seems like she wants more....

This is all the parents send me everyday. What is your opinion on this?

Is this a normal "schedule" for a 9 month old? She is not overweight or anything like that, it's just how the parents choose to feed her.

anyone else out there with 9 month olds? What are their schedules like?
ninosqueridos 05:52 PM 10-18-2010
my 9mo dcb is on a similar schedule

8:30 arrival
9:15 3-4 oz ebm & some puffs/cheerios
10-11 nap
12 4-6 oz baby puree fruit or veggie
1:15 3-4 oz ebm
1:30-3 nap
4 some puffs/cheerios
4:30 3-4 oz ebm
5 go home

(ebm=expressed breastmilk)

He is healthy and growing like a weed. My own kids barely had any solid foods at all their first year and they were healthy as well.

I'm wondering why she doesn't sleep in the afternoon at all? I wonder if you gave her a 2pm bottle, then nap, then 4pm bottle before she went home if that would make a difference? Or are they expecting her to nap once at home before bedtime? It just seems that noon to bedtime is a looooong time for a 9mo to be awake with no rest. What are her bedtime hours at home?
handemom 06:00 PM 10-18-2010
I guess my first thing was "is it normal for her to only have those two 4 oz. bottles in the 8 hours she is here? She cries quite a bit and I almost feel like maybe she is hungry.

The parents said that she only takes minor cat naps. and the longest she has slept here in the last week I have watched her is 1 1/2 hours total. They didn't tell me her sleep schedule.

And I would LOVE to offer her another bottle as i am almost positive that is what she needs, but they send me 2 premeasured baggies for the bottles. I asked for extra but they said that they don't really think that she will need it.

????
ninosqueridos 06:14 PM 10-18-2010
Being that she is crying a lot, I would strongly encourage more formula as a back up just to try it. You could always suggest it as a "1 week trial" thing. Does the baby have teeth yet?

I should mention that my 9mo dcb sometimes will take ZERO milk from me but he is still a happy camper. The crying would have me concerned - good luck!
handemom 06:26 PM 10-18-2010
i know that she is teething also, which I feel horriable about, i am trying all i can to help her out. Im just really not all that good with formula as both of my kiddos..... now 10 and 6 were both breastfeed.
Live and Learn 06:36 PM 10-18-2010
At this age their nap schedule is 9 to whenever usually 10:30 to 11:00.
Afternoon nap is SACRED. EVERYONE is down at 1:00 to 3:00.
This is really the best age to get them on a schedule. The first couple of weeks can be hard but stick to it and the pay off is golden.
I don't think she is eating quite enough...follow your instincts...maybe some cheerios or puffs?
Francine 01:48 AM 10-19-2010
The 9 month old little boy that I have would starve to death eating that little bit. He eats a big bowl of cereal and fruit before coming to me, he gets here at about 7:45, sometimes he wants to go down for a nap shortly after getting here and will sleep 2 hours. When he wakes up he will eat a container of applesauce ( real, not babyfood) with cereal stirred in plus cherrios, or some other snacky thing that his Mom has brought. At noon he will eat lunch, sometimes Mom cooks squash or some other home made food and sometimes she brings baby food but either way he will eat what equals at least two containers of baby food plus cherrios, bits of muffins or whatever Mom supplies. Takes another two hour nap and then eats a container of yogurt, chunks of banana, cherrios, etc. He is a HUGE food eater but I am lucky if I can get him to drink any formula at all during the day. He MIGHT take a bottle for Mom at bedtime but that's not even a given, he just doesn't like it. Mom was giving him juice until the DR. told her to stop and only give him formula.....if he's thristy he will drink it. Now she will bring him with a sippy (doesn't do bottles) of water instead of juice but he doesn't even really drink that. He just isn't a drinker, it really bothered me when he first started coming here but he seems to be very healthy although I do worry about him missing out on all of the vitamins that are in the formula. I stir it into whatever I can just so that he gets it one way or the other but as far as him drinking it he just doesn't. I made 2 ounces yesterday morning and offered it before I offered food every single time and still he didn't drink all of it. If he were a year or so older I would be stirring chocolate syrup into it just to get him to drink it but what can you add to it for a 9 months old? Seriously if anybody has any ideas I would love to hear them.
Unregistered 06:57 AM 10-19-2010
WOW 4oz of FORMUAL is NOT enough for a 9 month old she should be eating at the least 6 oz ad the most 8oz. My own kids where eating 8oz by that age and tablefood and graduate snacks ive had kids in daycare who where 9 months eating 6 to 8 oz and stage 3 jars of food not ones she is not feeding her kid enough. You CAN you her on a shecdule by feeding her MORE at the same time everyday my kids and dc kids ate every 4 hours at that age on shecdule.
Tags:9 month old, feeding, formula, schedule, schedules
Reply Up