Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>How Much Do You Spend On DC Food?
Play Care 05:49 AM 03-02-2014
Hope this is the right spot for this question, but how much do you spend in a year to feed the dck's?

We keep our receipts and spent over 10 grand last year. I do a lot of fresh veggies and fruits, cook from scratch when possible, etc. does that amount seem high?
Josiegirl 06:49 AM 03-02-2014
My tax acct. just allows per meal like the FP does. I buy for the dc, myself, and 2 dogs(although not much goes to them). Occasionally I buy for when 1 of my dds comes home(like this week). Today I spent $187, but the more normal amount is around $120-140 for a week.
So yeh, it's right up there, maybe around 7000-7500 a year. Amazing isn't it? Groceries is probably our biggest bill in running a daycare.
NeedaVaca 07:06 AM 03-02-2014
I think it will vary by the area you live in-some places the prices are higher or lower. For me, I don't spend more than $3000-$3500 per year. Yes, to me that seems very high!
Cradle2crayons 10:36 AM 03-02-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Hope this is the right spot for this question, but how much do you spend in a year to feed the dck's?

We keep our receipts and spent over 10 grand last year. I do a lot of fresh veggies and fruits, cook from scratch when possible, etc. does that amount seem high?
That doesn't sound that far off to me.

I don't spend nearly that much though because my family has a huge farm that includes every veggie imaginable including greens and potatoes and even some stuff in the winter. They also slaughter their own meat so I'm pretty set.
SilverSabre25 03:40 PM 03-02-2014
For my family of four and daycare we budget $200/week for groceries, Costco, etc. We have a vegetarian and two people who are Glen free, and try to do mostly natural stuff
Meyou 02:33 AM 03-03-2014
I spend about $800/month so that figure seems right to me. Healthy eating has it's price unfortunately. Thank goodness that Costco is starting to carry organics/whole foods. It's helped alot.
Cat Herder 07:40 AM 03-03-2014
I vacation in NY often and think your cost sounds about right for there....

Almost twice what it is down South. My food cost is right at $95 a week, so $4,940 a year.

I buy direct from farmers markets often, so no shipping, storage or handling fees.
daycare 07:48 AM 03-03-2014
how many people are you feeding on that? Mine was around $18,032 for the year, but that is with having 12 kids here daily and a family of 5.

I am on the food program.
Cradle2crayons 09:08 AM 03-03-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I vacation in NY often and think your cost sounds about right for there....

Almost twice what it is down South. My food cost is right at $95 a week, so $4,940 a year.

I buy direct from farmers markets often, so no shipping, storage or handling fees.
Where is your south because I spend more than that for my daycare kids and only three of the five eat regular food lol. Not to mention my own family
Cat Herder 09:34 AM 03-03-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
Where is your south because I spend more than that for my daycare kids and only three of the five eat regular food lol. Not to mention my own family
Southeast

I am not including paper products, cleaning supplies, storage bags/tins, condiments or other non-food items in my food cost. Just fruits, veggies, grains, dried beans, dairy and meats.
Play Care 10:40 AM 03-03-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
how many people are you feeding on that? Mine was around $18,032 for the year, but that is with having 12 kids here daily and a family of 5.

I am on the food program.
I have 5 full time dck's, 3 SA dck's and a family of 4. I am Tier I on the FP, but that only started in about April or May I believe of 2013.
NeedaVaca 11:04 AM 03-03-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I think it will vary by the area you live in-some places the prices are higher or lower. For me, I don't spend more than $3000-$3500 per year. Yes, to me that seems very high!
Mine is for 5 DCK's but they are not all full time-I average 3-4 per day.
TwinKristi 11:12 AM 03-03-2014
Sheesh... I have no idea! I have a family of 8 plus 1 SA DCB and 2 DCKs that are toddlers. I spend a lot on groceries! Because I have always spent a lot anyway with 6 kids it's not a LOT more than usual.
Blackcat31 11:21 AM 03-03-2014
I don't think you can just get one solid answer as it really depends on how many kids you are feeding, what meals you are feeding them as well as what you feed them.

Processed, quick foods are cheaper than organic foods.

Fresh fruits and veggies are super expensive here during the off seasons so I think it depends on that as well.

I spend more than $10,000 per year I think. Last year my food program reimbursement alone was almost $12,000. That doesn't include any extra treats or snacks I give them or the meals I can't count for the food program.

I am on Tier 1 also and feed anywhere from 9-12 kids.

Some 3, some 4 and some 5 days a week.
NeedaVaca 11:34 AM 03-03-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't think you can just get one solid answer as it really depends on how many kids you are feeding, what meals you are feeding them as well as what you feed them.

Fresh fruits and veggies are super expensive here during the off seasons so I think it depends on that as well.

I spend more than $10,000 per year I think. Last year my food program reimbursement alone was almost $12,000. That doesn't include any extra treats or snacks I give them or the meals I can't count for the food program.

I am on Tier 1 also and feed anywhere from 9-12 kids.

Some 3, some 4 and some 5 days a week.
True, plus my budget doesn't explain that I garden/can/freeze food all summer and I get 1/2 a cow from a family member that raises them,fish that my dad catches etc.
Cat Herder 11:55 AM 03-03-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

For me it is opposite. Convenience foods are much more expensive. Snacks can be a budget killer... boxed cereals are a treat.

I go to the actual grocery store maybe once a month. Like Needa I grow/swap/freeze berries, fruits, nuts and veggies and stock my freezers during harvest season for the winter. Meats come bulk from local farms/fishermen. Eggs from my neighbor in trade for berries.

I like buying local from Farmers Markets (usually hosted by City Hall) and direct from local farms. The food is better, the costs are a fraction of chain stores and I feel connected to my community.
ColorfulSunburst 06:47 PM 03-05-2014
Originally Posted by cradle2crayons:
where is your south ...
Originally Posted by cat herder:
southeast
:d:d:d
FCCarmyprovider 10:19 AM 03-16-2014
I just had about 4,000 and that's 1 SA and one dck with family of 3
Tags:cost, cost cutting tips, cost of child care, food costs
Reply Up