Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Family Wanting Lengthy, Unpaid Absence
ardeur 12:48 PM 11-10-2018
A current family wants to "pull" their child for the entire month of December and return sometime (they don't know when) in January. They will not pay during this absence and they may or may not even return. Not sure.

I do NOT feel comfortable keeping a contract open/valid while a family is not paying or attending my daycare for that length of time. Does their proposal automatically terminate their contract since they will cease, for 1 month, paying what the contract says they owe? I don't have any specific language in my policies saying that I will terminate a contract under circumstances like this one. But I do say that "the provider reserves the right to terminate this contract at will."

How would you handle this situation? And what language should I add to my policies and/or contracts to cover lengthy, unpaid absences on the clients part?
Rockgirl 01:39 PM 11-10-2018
I’d tell them to guarantee their spot upon return, they’d have to pay. If they choose not to pay, they’d take a chance on not having a spot to return to. And I’d fill the spot!
ardeur 02:01 PM 11-10-2018
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
I’d tell them to guarantee their spot upon return, they’d have to pay. If they choose not to pay, they’d take a chance on not having a spot to return to. And I’d fill the spot!
Would you charge them another enrollment fee? (Mine is $60). For leaving the program and then re-enrolling?
rosieteddy 02:09 PM 11-10-2018
Iwould do the same thing.They pay for the spot to keep it.Otherwise this is their 2 week notice.I would fill the spot if I could .If they take the chance you will not be able to fill and want to restart I would adjust their tuition.I would take the 6 weeks x what they pay now ex-they pay 200 now x 6=1200.Divide 1200 by 48=25.Then I would add the 25.00 week to their tuition to restart.This will cover the month of December next year if they choose to do it again .If not then you will make up some of the money you loose.I would not tell them that I would just say 2019 is new tuition and new policies.
Ariana 02:19 PM 11-10-2018
I would let them know that withdrawal for any length of time without payment is considered termination. You do not have any obligsgion to hold a spot for them, this is YOUR income! If they wanted to keep the spot they pay unless it was prearranged which it was not.

If they signed back up sometime in January and the spot was open I would not charge an enrolment fee personally since they were already clients.

They are doing what they need to do and you should do the same. Personally I would fill the spot and would not allow them back.
Josiegirl 03:01 PM 11-10-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I would let them know that withdrawal for any length of time without payment is considered termination. You do not have any obligsgion to hold a spot for them, this is YOUR income! If they wanted to keep the spot they pay unless it was prearranged which it was not.

If they signed back up sometime in January and the spot was open I would not charge an enrolment fee personally since they were already clients.

They are doing what they need to do and you should do the same. Personally I would fill the spot and would not allow them back.
I agree except if they do re-enroll, I would charge them the enrollment fee. They're choosing to leave(basically that's what they're doing) and might not even return.
I'd also fill the spot if you can.
mommyneedsadayoff 05:03 PM 11-10-2018
I would just tell them that without payment, the contract will be terminated. If they choose to come back, they will owe the enrollment fee, plus a higher rate(yearly rate increase for new families), and it will be dependent on if you have a spot available at that point. They will be starting over as new clients and again, only if you have a spot and want to re-enroll. It's a gamble on their part, but I would be very clear that the current contract ends with the last payment.
e.j. 10:22 AM 11-11-2018
I have a paragraph in my handbook that states parents who need extended time off from day care (for pregnancy, teacher summers off, travel...) either need to pay me to hold their spot or I will have to work to fill the spot with another child. If there is an opening when they need day care again, they're welcome back (assuming they've followed my polices) but there is no guarantee there will be opening. I don't charge enrollment fees but if I did and I had included that in my handbook, I would charge them again.
Grey 10:47 AM 11-11-2018
Originally Posted by ardeur:
Would you charge them another enrollment fee? (Mine is $60). For leaving the program and then re-enrolling?
Depends, what is the enrollment fee actually for?
Blackcat31 03:43 PM 11-11-2018
I don’t save space without regular weekly payment.
No discounts
If they withdraw I wouldn’t take them back
They’re going to great lengths to screw you out of income
That’s really disrespectful
I value my worth even when clients don’t.
Blackcat31 03:46 PM 11-11-2018
My handbook says “rates are based on enrollment not on attendance or time used”

Your mortgage company doesn’t discount your payment when you go on vacation and they don’t sublet
Snowmom 04:08 PM 11-11-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
No discounts
Agree.

They would need to follow my policy on how to terminate the contract or lose their initial enrollment fee.
I would not take them back.

Nothing irks me more than those families who leave during the holidays to avoid paying vacation days/holidays or just plain avoid paying while they have off. So disrespectful.
Annalee 05:02 PM 11-11-2018
I have taken "clients" back twice and both times it ended bad....learned my lesson on that!
DaveA 03:30 AM 11-12-2018
Like the others said- if they want to secure the spot they can pay for it. I had a "reserve rate" of 1/2 fee but dumped it in my last contract. I could see helping someone in a real emergency, but not just because they want to save some $.

If they pull do not let them back in. It usually doesn't end well.
Cat Herder 06:59 AM 11-12-2018
I'd tell them they don't have to attend, by tuition is still due. If they pull, I'd replace and never look back.

I do not re-enroll other than extreme/medical circumstance.
Leigh 09:16 AM 11-13-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
No discounts
Absolutely this. They're telling you that they want YOU to pay for their kids' absence because they don't feel that you are worth enough for them to pay you to keep the spots open.
hwichlaz 12:17 PM 11-13-2018
I'd re-enroll if I have space, at my new higher rate with a new enrollment fee.
hwichlaz 12:21 PM 11-13-2018
Oh, and my new higher enrollment rate would be my yearly rate, divided by 11 months in case they want to take a month off again.
ardeur 01:35 PM 11-13-2018
Originally Posted by Grey:
Depends, what is the enrollment fee actually for?
1. It primarily lets me know who is serious about enrolling, and who isn't. Like earnest money, but I don't refund it.
2. It's to cover my time talking with the parents over text, phone, during the interview, and enrolling child in the food program.
3. It covers the enrollment packet and registration documents I print out.
4. It off-sets those start-up expenses for each child: mat, blanket, fitted sheet, pillow, cups, plates, utensils, etc.
jessiepeel 02:20 PM 11-13-2018
agree.. I've had teachers who dont need me during summer break pay anyway they are paying for the spot. They want a guarantee .. pay !
cjnme 07:24 AM 11-14-2018
At our center, our policies specifically state that if tuition is not paid by the 8th of each month, attendance is not allowed until payment is made. When someone asks for an extended absence, we just tell them that to guarantee they have a spot to return to, they have to pay.
lblanke 08:01 PM 11-14-2018
Our country club does something that might appeal to you. Anyone who leaves cannot re-enroll for 1 full calendar year unless they pay all the back dues for the months they were not dues paying members. People would leave in September then not pay dues all winter. They would re-enroll in May. The pool is open May-September. Now, in order to re-join in May, you owe the missed dues (October-April) upon re-joining.

So if they quit in December and 1/2 of January, I would charge an amount equal to those dates of care upon re-enrollment.
Grey 09:10 PM 11-14-2018
1. It primarily lets me know who is serious about enrolling, and who isn't. Like earnest money, but I don't refund it.
2. It's to cover my time talking with the parents over text, phone, during the interview, and enrolling child in the food program.
3. It covers the enrollment packet and registration documents I print out.
4. It off-sets those start-up expenses for each child: mat, blanket, fitted sheet, pillow, cups, plates, utensils, etc.
That's fair. After a month they are basically starting over so I would. Reading back I see it's over a month, since they "don't know when" they will be back.
Meeko 06:05 PM 11-16-2018
I put my rates up regularly...but only for incoming clients.

I do a "same price for life" with my clients as long as they follow policy and their account is current, their rate will never increase.

Recently a teacher couple thought about pulling over the summer and taking their chances that I had a slot for the fall.

Once I reminded them that even IF I had a place (not likely) that they would be coming back under a new contract at the newest rates and owe me $20 more per week than they are now.

They stayed!
LysesKids 07:29 PM 12-15-2018
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I put my rates up regularly...but only for incoming clients.

I do a "same price for life" with my clients as long as they follow policy and their account is current, their rate will never increase.

Recently a teacher couple thought about pulling over the summer and taking their chances that I had a slot for the fall.

Once I reminded them that even IF I had a place (not likely) that they would be coming back under a new contract at the newest rates and owe me $20 more per week than they are now.

They stayed!
That's how I stated it when I was open; if you left & then wanted to come back, you were coming back under the new contract & higher fees. I did the same with families that wanted to drop hours... you drop under 4 days a week, you are subject to higher minimum, 3 day PT rate & there was no switching days unless you paid daily drop-in rates (highest fee), and Daily had no guarantee on being available
LostMyMarbles 12:09 PM 12-17-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I'd tell them they don't have to attend, by tuition is still due. If they pull, I'd replace and never look back.

I do not re-enroll other than extreme/medical circumstance.

I do the same as cat herder. About five years ago, I had a family of two, whose parents decided that they were going to be with the grandparents for the summer so they could save money. I told them in order to keep their spots, tuition would still need to be paid. This family was planning on returning in the fall. Because I'm the one that got the kids to and from school. I told them if they didn't pay their tuition, per our contract, I would accept that as their notice. This gave me the ability to fill their spots. I also inform them that once they pull out. They may not return to my daycare.

It sounds a little harsh, but if you don't put your foot down with these people, they tend to walk all over you. I learned long ago, that when somebody walks all over you, it's usually because you have allowed it.
ardeur 11:50 AM 12-20-2018
Thank you everyone!

The family did terminate their contract effective last week.

They said they want to open a new contract in the new year when they have their schedule figured out. I informed them that my enrollment fee will be due again since they left my program. This was all in an email and I haven't heard back from them.

But I've decided that I won't be taking them back. Reviewing our conversations this past year made me realize how often they questioned my prices and days off, wanted additional days added to their schedule when I'd close for a holiday, etc. I don't want to repeat that.
LostMyMarbles 12:14 PM 12-20-2018
Thank you everyone!

The family did terminate their contract effective last week.

They said they want to open a new contract in the new year when they have their schedule figured out. I informed them that my enrollment fee will be due again since they left my program. This was all in an email and I haven't heard back from them.

But I've decided that I won't be taking them back. Reviewing our conversations this past year made me realize how often they questioned my prices and days off, wanted additional days added to their schedule when I'd close for a holiday, etc. I don't want to repeat that.
Good job! It's tough when we have to do that, but necessary sometimes. There is another family that's going to come along that will be a perfect fit for your program.
Tags:blackcat, tuition - discount, unpaid vacation
Reply Up