Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Term or Not?
awestbrook713 05:51 PM 11-08-2011
Background this was my first dcm and dck. Mom got pregnant and I told her I she could have my last under 2 spot. I have been holding it for over 6 months now. Not a big deal I had enough other kids. Well mom has her appt to release her back to work thursday she said she probably won't be going back until the week after.

Over the summer mom came to me and asked if she could pay an agreed upon hourly rate, I didn't want to but did anyways. So dcm is paying SUPER LOW rate for her daughter. I am raising my rates and told her I would keep the daughter at the hourly but the new baby would be the $25 a day because both dad and mom are working and in the picture (so is dcg's dad but mom made it seem she was hard up)

I just found out you can't legally charge parents different rates if you have families on the childcare subsidy program which I have 2 families currently trying to qualify so I had to call mom and tell her I can't legally charge her the lower rate for dcg so she would be getting charged the regular rate for both kids $25 a day per child. I don't know all the rules on this law but it gave me the courage to tell mom she has to pay the rate I am charging not what she wants.

Shes not happy about the rate.

Problem 2: Mom just had a schedule change and will need me every other wednesday for an hour and a half. she doesn't want to pay the daily rate for so little time but oh well. Also I don't have enough spots for both kids only one of them. Again mom not happy.

Problem 3: Mom asks if I can watch kids day before thanksgiving (wednesday) I told her I don't know I will check with all the other parents and see if any one is not coming. I checked and everyone will be here so only one spot for one of her kids. I texted her to let her know and haven't heard back. This was friday night.

So heres my question I know she has her appointment this week and I should know when she is going back to work this week or next week at the latest if she doesn't contact me should I term because I have another mom with an almost 2 yr old little girl I have watched her she is super great, mom is nice pays on time, actually paid me extra when I watched her daughter the first time. Other mom has to give me a yes or no by december 1st atleast because thats the deadline I set for all my familys to decide what they were doing due to the rate change.

So wait till december 1st or term in the next week or 2 if she doesn't contact me?
harperluu 05:56 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by awestbrook713:
Background this was my first dcm and dck. Mom got pregnant and I told her I she could have my last under 2 spot. I have been holding it for over 6 months now. Not a big deal I had enough other kids. Well mom has her appt to release her back to work thursday she said she probably won't be going back until the week after.

Over the summer mom came to me and asked if she could pay an agreed upon hourly rate, I didn't want to but did anyways. So dcm is paying SUPER LOW rate for her daughter. I am raising my rates and told her I would keep the daughter at the hourly but the new baby would be the $25 a day because both dad and mom are working and in the picture (so is dcg's dad but mom made it seem she was hard up)

I just found out you can't legally charge parents different rates if you have families on the childcare subsidy program which I have 2 families currently trying to qualify so I had to call mom and tell her I can't legally charge her the lower rate for dcg so she would be getting charged the regular rate for both kids $25 a day per child. I don't know all the rules on this law but it gave me the courage to tell mom she has to pay the rate I am charging not what she wants.

Shes not happy about the rate.

Problem 2: Mom just had a schedule change and will need me every other wednesday for an hour and a half. she doesn't want to pay the daily rate for so little time but oh well. Also I don't have enough spots for both kids only one of them. Again mom not happy.

Problem 3: Mom asks if I can watch kids day before thanksgiving (wednesday) I told her I don't know I will check with all the other parents and see if any one is not coming. I checked and everyone will be here so only one spot for one of her kids. I texted her to let her know and haven't heard back. This was friday night.

So heres my question I know she has her appointment this week and I should know when she is going back to work this week or next week at the latest if she doesn't contact me should I term because I have another mom with an almost 2 yr old little girl I have watched her she is super great, mom is nice pays on time, actually paid me extra when I watched her daughter the first time. Other mom has to give me a yes or no by december 1st atleast because thats the deadline I set for all my familys to decide what they were doing due to the rate change.

So wait till december 1st or term in the next week or 2 if she doesn't contact me?
I'd fill the spot with a family who has committed to care. If she calls in the future, I'd just tell her that you hadn't heard from her and assumed she didn't need care any longer. If there is a deposit, then let her know you'll refund as you no longer have an available opening. Simple!
awestbrook713 05:59 PM 11-08-2011
I don't charge a deposit, had never thought about it so its as simple as if she doesn't call me in the next two weeks I will be giving out her spot to two families that are waiting. I have bent over backwards and get nothing but attitude.
daycare 06:00 PM 11-08-2011
too many problems..

This is what I ask myself... (because it is a relationship)

If you were out on a first date and you saw any problems, would you move forward in the relationship and go on another date?

The answer is NO. DOn't settle, you deserve to only have the best.

if you settle, eventually you will break up and we all know that break ups usually don't end well...

Get this lady out of there....
harperluu 06:07 PM 11-08-2011
I don't charge a deposit, had never thought about it so its as simple as if she doesn't call me in the next two weeks I will be giving out her spot to two families that are waiting. I have bent over backwards and get nothing but attitude.
I charge a deposit for saving spots. Typically if they don't start they forgo the deposit as agreed. But if I were to fill the spot due to unforseen circumstances, I'd refund the deposit. Since you don't charge a deposit, then no worries there.

You filling the spot because of no response is reasonable. It's your business. It's a business decision. Treat the kids like gold, but run your childcare like a business when it comes to administrative decisions.
awestbrook713 06:07 PM 11-08-2011
your so right, I think deep down I knew the answer but just thinking about terminating someone makes me sick to my stomach, my hearts racing, and feel like I could have a full on panic attack. It doesn't help that shes dating my cousin and hes the daddy of the new baby. Family makes these situations 10 times more complicated.
daycare 06:10 PM 11-08-2011
this is why I wont work for family.... It makes everything 20times harder...

Just know you are doing everyone a favor.....
awestbrook713 06:16 PM 11-08-2011
Originally it was just a girl dating my cousin. Then she got pregnant and life got complicated.
daycare 06:20 PM 11-08-2011
I can so relate to you on this one... mY uncle dated my best friends and then ended up getting her pg. They got married and then divorced. I lost a best friend and an uncle....they were both being so immature about everything I walked away from both of them.

When you do business for family they will expect special privileges...especially ones that you don't want them to have
Live and Learn 06:36 PM 11-08-2011
I had to term my cousin and spouse. Not fun.
awestbrook713 06:44 PM 11-08-2011
I have made a no family rule from here on out but its hard lol. I messed myself up from the start I watched the mom from this posts daughter shes with my cousin, I watch another moms kids and her mom is with my other cousin, oh and did I forget to mention I watch one of my cousins kids. What is wrong with me. Temporary insanity I think.
daycare 06:50 PM 11-08-2011
I have made a no family rule from here on out but its hard lol. I messed myself up from the start I watched the mom from this posts daughter shes with my cousin, I watch another moms kids and her mom is with my other cousin, oh and did I forget to mention I watch one of my cousins kids. What is wrong with me. Temporary insanity I think.
lol thats a soap!! daytime tv at its best....wow.

I have helped my SIL and watched my niece for a few days, but I made it clear it was only until she found a great place for her that could help her with her special needs. Also, commuting to my house was really far and made it not really worth it....
wdmmom 07:53 PM 11-08-2011
Daycare isn't a charity. It's just like a grocery store. Parents don't get to go in and offer a buck for a gallon of milk and get it. Parents don't get to negotiate daycare rates. It is what it is. Pay or leave.

If I were you, I'd term. Clearly you can't provide the service that they are needing when they need it.
awestbrook713 02:52 AM 11-09-2011
I feel bad but I really want this family gone, I have for a while now, its like you said not worth it. This mom and my cousin have been chatting it up since the rate change and mom that I want to term works with my sister and told her shes not happy and neither is my cousin to which I wish I could say far be it that I make you unhappy, I am terming you so you can go get happy where ever that may be! But that would only be in my backbone was stronger.
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency, provider - burnout risk, terminate
Reply Up