Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Welcome to Home Childcare...Sick Policy
SunflowerMama 07:07 AM 03-24-2010
So my dcg just vomitted all over me, my front entryway and a bit on one of my daughters.

Mom came in and said she had been super fussy this morning, handed her to me and that was all she wrote....

Mom took her home but on her way out said this was her busy time at work and this was the worst time for her to be sick. I really think she'll try and bring her tomorrow.

I almost sent her home yesterday because of some loose stool diapers but it was just one shy of what my contract states so I just kept her. So now I'm sure the 2 are related.

What is your policy when a child vomits? When can they return to care? My contract says 24hrs symptom free but I'm afraid she'll say she was fine all day and bring her tomorrow morning.
jen 07:09 AM 03-24-2010
24 hours symptom free...
Crystal 07:13 AM 03-24-2010
24 hours, no symptoms, WITHOUT medication. If you intentionally bring a sick child and lie to me about it, termination. (you can tell if this is the case)
Crystal 07:15 AM 03-24-2010
AND, I would call her this afternoon and remind her, that since child threw up this morning, and she's certain to be sick for the remainder of the day, the soonest she can return is Friday, and only if she has no symptoms, at all, on Thursday.
emosks 07:38 AM 03-24-2010
Totally agree with Crystal!
tymaboy 08:54 AM 03-24-2010
Yep call or email reminding her what your sick policy is & tell her you have to do your best to keep the other children healthy - would she like it if another parent sent their child sick & got her child sick?
SunflowerMama 11:29 AM 03-24-2010
She just emailed me and said that the little girl has been fine since she left my house and has been keeping down all her food and drink. She doesn't have a fever and wants to bring her back tomorrow if she's fine the rest of the day.

What do I say? Technically 24 hrs would be tomorrow morning if she really is symptom free but I'd really prefer she keep her home tomorrow just to be safe.

What would you guys do?
Kenny 11:46 AM 03-24-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
She just emailed me and said that the little girl has been fine since she left my house and has been keeping down all her food and drink. She doesn't have a fever and wants to bring her back tomorrow if she's fine the rest of the day.

What do I say? Technically 24 hrs would be tomorrow morning if she really is symptom free but I'd really prefer she keep her home tomorrow just to be safe.

What would you guys do?
Do you believe her?

I would tell her not to bring her back until Friday!
Janet 12:03 PM 03-24-2010
I have a 48 hour symptom free without the use of medication for vomiting and diarrhea. The only exception that I allow for is diarrhea that is antibiotic related, because I get the same thing if I have to be on antibiotics. But with vomiting, I don't care if the kid is perfectly fine up until the moment that they throw up, they still have to be out for at least 48 hours. I used to have the 24 hour policy, but then I would have kids come back too soon and they would still be sick. At least with 48 hours, there is a little more time for the kid to recooperate. I would rather err on the side of caution rather than have kids come back before they are ready. I have some policies that are pretty strict, but I also have been blessed to not have to send kids home very often at all and when a parent gripes on the rare occasion that I do send a kid home, I just gently remind them that the my policies are in place to keep their kids healthy, and as long as everyone follows them, then the chances of the kids being sent home sick go way down. Better 2 days now then several days in a row!!!
Daycare Mommy 01:46 PM 03-24-2010
I'd ask her to keep her home at least a couple of hours in the morning. Let her eat and hold down her breakfast first. She did come over and throw up at drop off time, so I think that's a reasonable request.
AfterSchoolMom 02:08 PM 03-24-2010
Originally Posted by :
I'd ask her to keep her home at least a couple of hours in the morning. Let her eat and hold down her breakfast first. She did come over and throw up at drop off time, so I think that's a reasonable request.

I agree with this. I find it questionable that the little girl had diarrhea one day and threw up the next day, and then was perfectly fine immediately afterward. I expect that if you let her come in the morning, she'll end up throwing up again...then you'll have two problems to deal with - a sick child and a lying mother!
momma2girls 02:25 PM 03-24-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I agree with this. I find it questionable that the little girl had diarrhea one day and threw up the next day, and then was perfectly fine immediately afterward. I expect that if you let her come in the morning, she'll end up throwing up again...then you'll have two problems to deal with - a sick child and a lying mother!
I agree and also you may have more sick children as well!!!
nannyde 03:57 PM 03-24-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:

What would you guys do?
That's a very common problem with the 24 hours "free" policy. If you send the kids home before noon you will often have a parent wanting to return the child at the 24th hour the next day. If it's after noon MOST don't want to hassle with bringing them for naptime so they keep them home the next day. If it's earlier in the morning many parents will claim they were symptom free from the moment they left your house.

Best idea I have for this is to exclude them for the day you sent them home AND the following day. Tell the parent at pick up that they are to be out tomorrow too so you don't get them calling and claiming the kid was fine minute they picked them up.

Nan
momma2girls 07:17 PM 03-24-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
That's a very common problem with the 24 hours "free" policy. If you send the kids home before noon you will often have a parent wanting to return the child at the 24th hour the next day. If it's after noon MOST don't want to hassle with bringing them for naptime so they keep them home the next day. If it's earlier in the morning many parents will claim they were symptom free from the moment they left your house.

Best idea I have for this is to exclude them for the day you sent them home AND the following day. Tell the parent at pick up that they are to be out tomorrow too so you don't get them calling and claiming the kid was fine minute they picked them up.

Nan
THis is good!!
missnikki 07:03 AM 03-25-2010
Agreed with Nan...
24 hours staring the next day. It's easy to explain- The first day is for the sick child, the second day is for everyone else.
AfterSchoolMom 10:53 AM 03-25-2010
So what happened??
SunflowerMama 11:24 AM 03-25-2010
She had her old sitte watch her (doesn't have any other children). She's coming back tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!
Tags:sick policy
Reply Up