Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 03-31-2021, 07:36 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Do You Contact Parents When Child is Out?

For the most part parents tell me when their child will be out. If a kid does not show up by 10am and there is no communication from the parents, I send them a text to inquire about the child. Do you do that? I'm beginning to wonder if I should continue...
Old 04-01-2021, 05:13 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I always do. It is part of my risk prevention program to limit "Hot Car" deaths. Kids can die in cold cars, too.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:42 AM
Daycare.com Member

I will try to contact parents. Most times they have just forgotten to let me know. I won't go threw emergency contacts or make repeated calls but will text parent who dose most of the drop offs. If I don't hear from them after about 15 / 20 min then I'll text other parent. I can't think of a time where I did not hear back.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:49 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
I always do. It is part of my risk prevention program to limit "Hot Car" deaths. Kids can die in cold cars, too.
Riiight!
Old 04-01-2021, 07:22 AM

While I understand why some providers choose to call parents, I don't.

I don't want to assume the liability of this responsibility.
Also I simply don't have time during the busy morning as I need to focus my time and attention on the children (and parents) that are present.

In some circumstances I have called a parent but it's not a "service" I provide as I fully expect adults to be responsible and respectful enough to call or text me to let me know they aren't coming or are running late.

As I said though in some circumstances I will/do call or text. I am hesitant to do this though most times for many reasons (use tags below to find many threads on this topic). The last time I texted a parent when they were running late, it turned out horrible and tragic. It still re-plays in my mind so I hesitate now...
Old 04-01-2021, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I don't want to assume the liability of this responsibility.
Also I simply don't have time during the busy morning as I need to focus my time and attention on the children (and parents) that are present.
Also, I don't have a lot of parents that don't call or text as part of my policies are termination of services for failure to let me know this information 3X. Forgetting once, is acceptable. Forgetting a second time generates a warning and the third time they forget I terminate services.

I won't allow my clients to put me in the position of being responsible when they are not.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:25 AM
Daycare.com Member

You know, I'm kind of mixed on this subject.

There has been legislation talks about making providers (in home and center) call when families don't arrive on time. I totally get that hot car deaths can be prevented (and sometimes NOT) by a phone call, but imho, why can't a parent simply put a calendar alarm on their phone too?
Passing off the liability is a slippery slope.

My personal policy: I have a cut off of 9:00 on arrivals. So, if a child is not here by 8:55, I send a text saying "the front door is locked at 9:00. If you are already on your way, please let me know. If not, we'll see you tomorrow."
Old 04-01-2021, 10:19 AM

I completely support providers with larger numbers and those who would not want the possibility of added liability placed on them for not doing this.

I only keep 6 kids, usually from 2-4 families, max. I am also a local EMS provider, so for me it is two fold. I already have that liability and so much more than most providers, so for me it is a minor thing. It comes up maybe once a year.

If I had 30 kids or saw the possibility of being charged with neglect of duty if I did not call in the future, I probably would not be so quick to jump on board.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:29 AM
Daycare.com Member

I have never had a situation where a parent didn't tell me their child would be absent.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie928 View Post
I have never had a situation where a parent didn't tell me their child would be absent.
Just wait.

It happens more with divorced parents than any other subgroup.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:55 AM
Daycare.com Member

Thank you for your responses.

A new family took off for vacation w/o telling me until I texted when kid was a no show. It's usually a new family and when I remind them the first time it does not happen again. But every now and again I have a repeat offender.

Not related but-- when my kids were younger and they missed school I would get a robocall from the school that they were absent so if they weren't home sick I knew that they were playing hooky so I appreciated those calls.
Old 04-02-2021, 03:28 PM
Day Care Owner

I have contacted the parent before but have removed the promise to do so from my handbook to remove liability from me.

I had one of DCM's boyfriend show up 30 minutes early, I told him he was early and that I would see him in 30 minutes. He did not come back, I texted dcm and she comments that they found other care. So for the next few days, they did not come or call, I termed at the end of the week for No show/no payment. She "demanded" a refund for the week since she did not bring the kids, I refused.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:55 PM
Daycare.com Member

most yes- there are a few families (were a center) that pop off and dont show up except one day a week. Usually by mid week, they show. This is probably the one family we SHOULD be checking on, they have so much drama!
Old 04-05-2021, 10:36 AM
Daycare.com Member

I am a small operation so it's easy for me to send a quick text.

Good morning! Is Mildred joining us today? We are about to head out for our walk so we probably won't be home when you arrive.

Good morning! Will Rutherford be coming today? I am just packing away our morning snack.

Usually they figure it out the first time and don't do that again
Old 04-06-2021, 06:41 AM
Day Care Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolores View Post
Thank you for your responses.

A new family took off for vacation w/o telling me until I texted when kid was a no show. It's usually a new family and when I remind them the first time it does not happen again. But every now and again I have a repeat offender.

Not related but-- when my kids were younger and they missed school I would get a robocall from the school that they were absent so if they weren't home sick I knew that they were playing hooky so I appreciated those calls.
Yesterday a family didn't show up and I texted to find out what happened, (mom pregnant, so I was trying not to think the worst) they had went on vacation and they each thought the other one had told me.
It made sense since it is spring break here and they were supposed to go on vacation last year for Spring break.

Tags
hot car death, hot car death prevention, hot car deaths, late arrivals, no call no show