Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>To Respond Or Not To Respond... That Is The Question
brookeroo 10:07 AM 09-14-2012
Yet another from CL today...

Parent:
Hello, I am looking to start my two boys in child care starting on Monday.
They are ages 3 and 11 months. How many other children do you watch and what
would the rates be? It would be 4-5 days a week from 7:30-5:30. Thank you

Me:
Hello, I wish I could say I could do this for you but as referenced, my hours are 7:00 - 5:00. All of my families have started migrating away from keeping their kids here until 5:30, with the exception of one child. All the rest of my kids are picked up at 5:00 at the latest. I've been working really hard to get
away from working till 5:30 so I will not be able to help you with the hours
you are looking for care at this time.

Parent:
Shoot I will ask if I can get off 20 min early sometimes it would be earlier than that anyways. What would th rates be?

I'm thinking once she hires me she will be showing up at 5:30 or later all the time....I'm also concerned with the fact that she's looking for care to start on Monday. Should I blow off the email or tell her my rates and ask her why she's looking for care all the sudden?
MarinaVanessa 10:18 AM 09-14-2012
Originally Posted by brookeroo:

I'm thinking once she hires me she will be showing up at 5:30 or later all the time....I'm also concerned with the fact that she's looking for care to start on Monday. Should I blow off the email or tell her my rates and ask her why she's looking for care all the sudden?
I would give her the rates for her specific days and time. I noticed that she said 3 or 4 days a week. I'd confirm whether or not they are set days or whether she has a retail type schedule that changes and charge for the most time. So if she says 3 or 4 days, quote her and contract her for 4 days based on enrollment not attendance.

I would deffinetely ask her why she needs childcare so soon and who was watching her before. Ask for references and call them etc. You just never know. I'm leery of people like this also and although they aren't always shady it's better to be safe than sorry.

Also I'd add in the late penalty fee so that she's aware right away that you will charge extra if she's late.
wahmof3 10:23 AM 09-14-2012
I am SO dealing with this right now!

Meet w/ DCP THEY said hours needed would be 30-35 hours per week. THEY said they would seldom be here after 4 because they want to pick up DCB and get home before the bus and the bus gets to their house by 3:45p. THEY have picked up only twice before 3:45 time in the month they have been here its normally 4:30. AND Thursday I had an early pick up of 3:45 so I could get to my own child's activity and they were TICKED yesterday when I reminded them and they were notified of this pick up 3 weeks ago! ALso forgot to mention: I am caring for DCB 40-45 hours per week, big-big difference from 30-35 hrs/wk

So my advice is to make sure YOU are FIRM with your pick up times & if she is late I would set a hefty fee

Some DCP just don't get it
Willow 10:31 AM 09-14-2012
Parent:
Shoot I will ask if I can get off 20 min early sometimes it would be earlier than that anyways. What would th rates be?

This is still unacceptable, 20 minutes early still would land you working past 5. But I also think you shot yourself in the foot with your response by saying you still have one child who stays late and you are merely moving away from working that late.

My response to her would have been:

"My hours are 7:00am to 5:00pm. I cannot accommodate a child needing care until 5:30pm. I'm sorry, best of luck in your search!"

You could still shoot that back to her now but you run the risk of her feeling slighted that you're currently making an accommodation for another family so why not her.
brookeroo 10:47 AM 09-14-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
But I also think you shot yourself in the foot with your response by saying you still have one child who stays late and you are merely moving away from working that late.
True
Crazy8 10:51 AM 09-14-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
This is still unacceptable, 20 minutes early still would land you working past 5. But I also think you shot yourself in the foot with your response by saying you still have one child who stays late and you are merely moving away from working that late.

My response to her would have been:

"My hours are 7:00am to 5:00pm. I cannot accommodate a child needing care until 5:30pm. I'm sorry, best of luck in your search!"

You could still shoot that back to her now but you run the risk of her feeling slighted that you're currently making an accommodation for another family so why not her.
I agree.... never give the details of what hours other kids are there if you are trying to run on contracted hours.

I would just tell her you are sorry but you will not be able to accommodate her hours.

Its a problem waiting to happen.... fast forward 2 weeks and she's been late more times than she's been on time. Not a headache you need, right???
e.j. 11:05 AM 09-14-2012
Parent:
I would never blow off an email from a prospective client - even one who I wasn't interested in taking on. I just think it's unprofessional not to respond. Even a polite,second "No thanks; not interested" response is better than no response at all. JMO

"Asking" for and "being allowed" to get off 20 minutes early are two different things. Her boss could deny her request. If I were even remotely interested in taking this family on, I would tell her she either needs to confirm with her boss that she can change her hours or she will need to arrange for someone else to pick the kids up. Either way, it has to be by 5:00 - no excuses.

I would also do as the others have suggested to protect yourself: Make sure you have a late fee policy. Make it hefty enough that she won't want to pay it often - or preferably, ever! Make sure you're willing to enforce it each and every time. Make it clear she will have to pay the fee before you will take the kids back. I'd add something that says late pick up more than X times will be grounds for immediate termination. I'd also have a trial period in my policies so that you can terminate easily within that time if it isn't working out.
Reply Up