Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question About Assessing Late Fees
melilley 06:21 AM 12-02-2014
Yesterday I posted about a family who left my care without giving a two week notice, which they have to give or pay in lieu of, per my contract. I charge late fees, per day, beginning on the day they didn't pay for care. My question is, would you charge the family late fees until they pay what they owe in full, or just until the two weeks are up?
TheGoodLife 06:52 AM 12-02-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Yesterday I posted about a family who left my care without giving a two week notice, which they have to give or pay in lieu of, per my contract. I charge late fees, per day, beginning on the day they didn't pay for care. My question is, would you charge the family late fees until they pay what they owe in full, or just until the two weeks are up?
Per my contract, I assess late fees for up to 30 days, at which point I would start the collections/small claims court procedure. (Never had to do so, once I sent out an email stating my contracted policies in very legal language both parents that wanted to try to get out of paying have paid right away.)
Meeko 09:59 AM 12-02-2014
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife:
Per my contract, I assess late fees for up to 30 days, at which point I would start the collections/small claims court procedure. (Never had to do so, once I sent out an email stating my contracted policies in very legal language both parents that wanted to try to get out of paying have paid right away.)
Same here.
daycarediva 10:04 AM 12-02-2014
My contract states that late fees accrue until the balance is paid IN FULL. I have never had to enforce it, and the ONLY time I had a dcf pull without paying, I sent a strongly worded letter and they mailed the amount I invoiced at the time and I let it go.
melilley 10:12 AM 12-02-2014
Thank you!
This is my policy that they signed off on. Do you think I need to modify it? Dh wrote a term letter for me and gave them until the end of next week to pay. Do you think I should give 30 days? It's not stated in my policy how long they have to pay.

PAYMENT POLICY
All weekly fees must be paid for on the last day of the current weeks’ attendance for the upcoming week by 6:00 p.m. or your child may not attend until payment is made. In addition, a $10.00 late fee per day, including Saturday and Sunday, will be assessed for any late payment. Care will not commence until all fees are current. After 5 consecutive days of non-payment, the caregiver/parent/guardian contract between the provider and the parent/guardian(s) is null and void and your child’s spot will be open. Legal action will be taken to recoup lost monies, including 2 weeks of lost pay and all court costs/fees. Drop-in fees are payable per occurrence. Full and part time fees are based on booked days, not attendance, therefore the parent/guardian(s) are responsible for fees whether their child attends or not. (This includes sick days, holidays and vacation time that is not allotted)
Reply Up