Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>S/O Vacations, A staffing and payment question
MCC 05:53 AM 05-06-2014
Per contract, I take the week Christmas falls into, as well as one week in the summer. I also have 6 personal/sick days which are for last minute things, and I've never used them.

I've been toying with the idea of having my staff run the place while I'm on vacation, but there are a few things I'm stressing about.

1. I would have to have all the meals prepped, labeled and organized for the week. Sounds like a lot of work while I'm also getting ready for a trip.

2. I would most likely stress about what was going on back here all week, calling in/texting etc to make sure things were going smoothly.

3. The biggest, I pay my staff $10/hour when I'm here, and $13 if I'm gone. I would also have to have 2 people here full time, instead of 1. So I would be out $640 that I normally would not pay staff, plus, they are hourly, so I wouldn't even have to pay them if I close that week instead.

Would it be appropriate to pass that cost onto the parents? I was thinking about offering them the option, and doing a majority rules decision. It would be $106 extra per family for the week, that is WAAAY less than they would have to pay for backup care.

There are a lot of reasons why I am wanting to offer this, I know I could just take my vacation, but I do have staff, so I do have this option. I have a fantastic group of clients right now who have all been here for over a year, with the exception of one. I rarely have to deal with shenanigans over policies or payments, and I would like to make this available for them, as long as it doesn't cost me extra money. What do you all think?
CraftyMom 06:14 AM 05-06-2014
It isn't a vacation if you're worrying about what's going on at home

I don't see the point in paying 2 assistants, costing much more for you. The point of a paid vacation is to enjoy your vacation, de-stress, and not worry about losing income by taking time off.

I say, take your vacation paid and close for the week...and enjoy yourself!
Unregistered 06:22 AM 05-06-2014
So what happens if one of the assistance can't make it in one day due to illness? accident? do they then shut down for the day... and parents are refunded for the day? Seems easier to just shut down.
Annalee 08:39 AM 05-06-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
It isn't a vacation if you're worrying about what's going on at home

I don't see the point in paying 2 assistants, costing much more for you. The point of a paid vacation is to enjoy your vacation, de-stress, and not worry about losing income by taking time off.

I say, take your vacation paid and close for the week...and enjoy yourself!
EXACTLY!
Rachel 10:26 AM 05-06-2014
I think in your situation it seems complicated, but it could be done you just have to work everything out (especially what to do if a staff member is sick).

I don't think everyone would have to sign up. I think you could go first come / first serve until you hit ratio with one person, and then only offer to bring in the second person if it's worth it for you. If they are already paying your vacation I could see them being annoyed if they have free backup care or vacation time they want to use and don't want to be forced to pay extra.

Also in your extra costs, don't forget to factor in the food, utilities, supplies, etc. It's not only staffing you will be paying out for the week.

I would stay out of it when you are on vacation. Seems like too much liability and stress. What if something goes really wrong?
Rachel 10:27 AM 05-06-2014
I think in your situation it seems complicated, but it could be done you just have to work everything out (especially what to do if a staff member is sick).

I don't think everyone would have to sign up. I think you could go first come / first serve until you hit ratio with one person, and then only offer to bring in the second person if it's worth it for you. If they are already paying your vacation I could see them being annoyed if they have free backup care or vacation time they want to use and don't want to be forced to pay extra.

Also in your extra costs, don't forget to factor in the food, utilities, supplies, etc. It's not only staffing you will be paying out for the week.

I would stay out of it when you are on vacation. Seems like too much liability and stress. What if something goes really wrong?
MCC 11:11 AM 05-06-2014
These are all really good points.

I guess if a staff member had to call in sick, I would follow the same protocol as if I were sick, and use a personal day.

As far as food cost etc, I would pay those if I were open regardless, it's just a bonus to not pay them while I'm on vacation, but it's already calculated into my rate, and they pay 52 weeks.

If something were to go seriously wrong, I would hope my staff would know exactly how to handle whatever situation came up. It would be unfortunate timing, but they are just as qualified to handle an emergency as I am. The big issue here is liability.

I guess I'm just feeling like, having staff means that I am able to accommodate certain situations, like not having to close when I'm sick, or being able to take a day off without closing etc. I would like to make this work as well, but not sure quite how.
Annalee 11:28 AM 05-06-2014
Originally Posted by MCC:
These are all really good points.

I guess if a staff member had to call in sick, I would follow the same protocol as if I were sick, and use a personal day.

As far as food cost etc, I would pay those if I were open regardless, it's just a bonus to not pay them while I'm on vacation, but it's already calculated into my rate, and they pay 52 weeks.

If something were to go seriously wrong, I would hope my staff would know exactly how to handle whatever situation came up. It would be unfortunate timing, but they are just as qualified to handle an emergency as I am. The big issue here is liability.

I guess I'm just feeling like, having staff means that I am able to accommodate certain situations, like not having to close when I'm sick, or being able to take a day off without closing etc. I would like to make this work as well, but not sure quite how.
I rarely use sub-care. That is why I have so many various off days listed in my contract. My home child care is my livelihood and I have spent 22 plus years making it what it is. When I do use a sub, they work with myself or my assistant; I would never put 2 subs in here....just not something I am comfortable with especially in our home!
kitykids3 11:46 AM 05-06-2014
I agree, there is no way I would be able to relax and enjoy my vacation if I was worried about something happening here with the business, or even my home by my business being run in it while I'm gone. There's no point to the vacation then.
SignMeUp 12:00 PM 05-06-2014
Here, if you are the license holder, you have the liability. Personally, I wouldn't take that chance these days, not for an extended period like a vacation.
Annalee 12:02 PM 05-06-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
Here, if you are the license holder, you have the liability. Personally, I wouldn't take that chance these days, not for an extended period like a vacation.
Same here, I am the license holder, so I would be responsible! When I go on vacation I DO NOT want to worry about anything!
CraftyMom 12:16 PM 05-06-2014
I do not have an assistant, but I would not want them running my daycare for a whole week while I'm away. I would like one for a couple hours at the most, not even a whole day, just to cover dr appts and things.

I would explain to the parents that yes, you have subs for their convenience for days when you can't be there, but you will not leave your daycare to a sub for a whole week.
Reply Up