Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Blossoms Blooming

Default Wow! Seven Languages!

I should just rename my school: School for Beautiful International Babies! One girl speaks Spanish (and english), one boy speaks only Polish. New boy isn't taking yet, but he is Brazilian and parents speak Portuguese. New girl speaks Thai! One boy learning some words in Hebrew from his dad and grandma. Me...sign language....everybody else English! Whoa! Holy Languages Batman! I love it!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

so cool!!!!

I am so sure you could work that into your program somehow. Now, THAT would make you stand out in the crowd!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Blossoms Blooming

Yeah Heidi! Lol! Too bad I don't speak those languages! But I'm, learning them by default!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:22 PM

Talk about culturally diverse! That is really cool Sugar!

Have you thought about maybe doing a unit on each family's perspective country and seeing if the parent would be willing to share some things about their native homeland? Or maybe even a few words/phrases that you could have the kids learn such as "hello" or "I love you" or something simple the kids could go home and share?

I had a family where DCM was from the Czech Republic and she came into our classroom and taught the kids simple words and even shared a few recipes from her homeland that the kids could try.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I absolutely love it!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Blossoms Blooming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Talk about culturally diverse! That is really cool Sugar!

Have you thought about maybe doing a unit on each family's perspective country and seeing if the parent would be willing to share some things about their native homeland? Or maybe even a few words/phrases that you could have the kids learn such as "hello" or "I love you" or something simple the kids could go home and share?

I had a family where DCM was from the Czech Republic and she came into our classroom and taught the kids simple words and even shared a few recipes from her homeland that the kids could try.
Wow! Awesome idea!! We could do a "People of the World" unit! Brilliant Blackcat!! Thank you!!
Old 09-10-2012, 02:48 PM
Trix are for kids

That is super neat!
Old 09-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Nature Lover

Wow, how do you communicate with them? I think thats neat! I would worry so much about miscommunication issues though. Do you have any problems with that?

I do know I had a friend who visited Florida for a conference about 5 years ago. Said he felt like he was in a different country as English was hardly heard!
Old 09-10-2012, 02:55 PM
Daycare.com Member

That is so cool!
What popped in my mind was IHOP...but you could be IHOC!!