Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Want One Too!
KIDZRMYBIZ 06:14 AM 04-04-2014
DCB just told me "Daddy had to put T (family dog) downstairs in the cage because a lady is coming to clean our house." This is my DCM that has 2 weekdays off but kiddos here open to close anyway...usually...but last 2 weeks she did keep them one day. Maybe a lenten obligation? Their business but it must be nice. Jealous much?? Heck yeah!!!
MotherNature 08:22 AM 04-04-2014
Hopefully they don't complain about daycare rates...
jenn 09:05 AM 04-04-2014
Must be nice! I have a mom friend that recently went back to work. She works about 4 hours per day, and has a once a week special event for work that takes 5-6 hours. So 26 hour max work week. She has 3 children, all of which are in school full time. I know the kids are involved in activites, but they are all drop off/pick up later things. Due to her being overwhelmed with all of her responsibilities, her husband took over all bill paying, hired a cleaning service to come weekly, landscapers to get the yard summer ready, takes the vehicles weekly to be cleaned professionally, makes the kids lunches, and buys/makes dinners on weekdays. Sigh. Must be nice!
CraftyMom 09:13 AM 04-04-2014
Originally Posted by jenn:
Must be nice! I have a mom friend that recently went back to work. She works about 4 hours per day, and has a once a week special event for work that takes 5-6 hours. So 26 hour max work week. She has 3 children, all of which are in school full time. I know the kids are involved in activites, but they are all drop off/pick up later things. Due to her being overwhelmed with all of her responsibilities, her husband took over all bill paying, hired a cleaning service to come weekly, landscapers to get the yard summer ready, takes the vehicles weekly to be cleaned professionally, makes the kids lunches, and buys/makes dinners on weekdays. Sigh. Must be nice!
Sounds like dad is the one that needs a break!
SilverSabre25 09:13 AM 04-04-2014

I don't get people. I really don't.

I'm finally getting decluttered and organized enough to really truly enjoy cleaning my house. I do most of it on Fridays so I have the whole weekend free. We clean up again as a family on Sunday evening before dinner, and then I do basic stuff (picking up toys, etc) during the week until Friday. Works for us in the season we're in right now and, most importantly, I am enjoying this.

Having someone else come in and clean would stress me out so much....
hope 09:20 AM 04-04-2014
It seems like everyone I know has a cleaning lady come. They all make fun of me bc I enjoy cleaning my own home. In times of stress I find comfort in cleaning and organizing and my life has been pretty stressful these past few years.
Funny thing is, all these people stress out every week right before their cleaning lady comes. They run around frantic picking up all the toys and dirty laundry so that the floors can be cleaned and sheets changed. I have seen many take a half day off just to get ready for this. They seems to be more stressed from having a cleaning lady than not!
taylorw1210 09:53 AM 04-04-2014
My SO would be offended if we had a "cleaning lady" come over - he likes to clean our home himself! And he does quite a good job at it. Far better than I do.
Shell 10:09 AM 04-04-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
It seems like everyone I know has a cleaning lady come. They all make fun of me bc I enjoy cleaning my own home. In times of stress I find comfort in cleaning and organizing and my life has been pretty stressful these past few years.
Funny thing is, all these people stress out every week right before their cleaning lady comes. They run around frantic picking up all the toys and dirty laundry so that the floors can be cleaned and sheets changed. I have seen many take a half day off just to get ready for this. They seems to be more stressed from having a cleaning lady than not!
I also find it to be comforting cleaning my own home. I love to look at the way it all looks and smells so clean. Of course, come Monday morning, we're back to square one with the dc kids. I wouldn't want anyone else to clean, either.
TwinKristi 10:24 AM 04-04-2014
I had someone come clean my house, it was more stress than it was worth for me. It was nice to know my bathrooms were scrubbed and such but I really had a hard time with it all. I never felt like my house was that CLEAN. I have 6 kids plus a daycare so we would come home to a clean house after our Saturday activities and one meal later you would never know it was clean! I also felt that fear the day before she came to have everything ready for her. It sucked. I wish I could have someone come late at night while we're sleeping and wake up to a sparkling clean house! hahaha!
Naptime yet? 10:25 AM 04-04-2014
I think that, if you can't clean your own house, your house is too big, you have too much stuff, or you need to downsize some other events in your life.

If you can be bothered to make the mess, you should be bothered to clean it up.

For some reason I can't explain, I have become anti--having a stranger clean your house. Maybe I feel like it's pretentious, or that people are just getting lazier & lazier, I don't know. My husband wanted to have someone come in to clean & I vetoed it, he said he wanted to give me a break. I said, then you do some cleaning for me

Or maybe I'm just jealous.
MCC 10:33 AM 04-04-2014
I have a cleaning lady and I love it. It gives me much more time to spend with DD in the evenings. My daycare space is completely separate from my living area, so I can't do any cleaning during the day. My stress level has gone way down since I've hired my cleaning lady.
Play Care 10:38 AM 04-04-2014
I've had a housekeeper. I work a 60 hour week and the last thing I want to do in the evenings and on my weekends is scrub a toilet. I say if you can afford it, and want it, go for it. Mom may only have a PT job, but if she's anything like most moms, she's also mostly responsible for the kids, house, errands, etc.
Of course, I let mine go because I'm really uptight about how I want things
TwinKristi 10:45 AM 04-04-2014
Originally Posted by Naptime yet?:
I think that, if you can't clean your own house, your house is too big, you have too much stuff, or you need to downsize some other events in your life.

If you can be bothered to make the mess, you should be bothered to clean it up.

For some reason I can't explain, I have become anti--having a stranger clean your house. Maybe I feel like it's pretentious, or that people are just getting lazier & lazier, I don't know. My husband wanted to have someone come in to clean & I vetoed it, he said he wanted to give me a break. I said, then you do some cleaning for me

Or maybe I'm just jealous.
I don't think that's very fair. We don't have a very big house and we don't have too much stuff.. but we do have a lot going on with my dh and his business, me and my daycare and our 6 kids and their activities. We limit them to one sport per season so we aren't going crazy but as it is we have 4 games this weekend and I'm stressing on when I'm going to be cleaning things. I have a big interview on Tuesday and want the house in tip-top shape. The cleaning I had my cleaning lady do was the stuff I didn't always have time to do. Scrub the tile in the kitchen, clean the appliances, mop the floors, wipe down my glass doors and windows, deep clean the bathrooms (showers, tubs, etc) and stuff like that. It's all stuff that I do, but she was able to do it on a more consistent basis than I was and that's what I liked. It was worth the $200/mo to have her do that for me. I had to clean in between so it's not like she did ALL the cleaning ever, but it was nice to have a clean house for a few hours. She probably did 25% of the cleaning per month. LOL I still had laundry, I did the linens, I cleaned up in between, I swept and vacuumed, I did the dishes... it was just the base cleaning that was nice to have done already and not have to worry about. If I could make it work again with our schedule I would do it in a heartbeat, especially since I'm going to be full again soon. But it's hard with our daycare schedule to find someone to clean. My sister offered to do it and is out of work so I may ask her to do it, but it would have to be after hours.
Unregistered 10:55 AM 04-04-2014
"I think that, if you can't clean your own house, your house is too big, you have too much stuff, or you need to downsize some other events in your life."

Its the best 80 dollars I spend a week. I can clean my house I choose not too. I am a single mom with one child living in a 4000 sq ft house. I would rather spend time with my son at the park, or zoo, or beach when not working than spending hours cleaning the house. My money. My choice.
Blackcat31 11:02 AM 04-04-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
"I think that, if you can't clean your own house, your house is too big, you have too much stuff, or you need to downsize some other events in your life."

Its the best 80 dollars I spend a week. I can clean my house I choose not too. I am a single mom with one child living in a 4000 sq ft house. I would rather spend time with my son at the park, or zoo, or beach when not working than spending hours cleaning the house. My money. My choice.
It's also PP's choice to have an opinion.

Doesn't mean your house IS too big or you DO have too much stuff.

Just means she has any opinion.

Also for those of you saying that having a cleaning lady allows you to spend more time with your child(ren).... Why not spend time WITH your child(ren) cleaning? There are some awesome lessons embedded in simple household chores.
TwinKristi 11:06 AM 04-04-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It's also PP's choice to have an opinion.

Doesn't mean your house IS too big or you DO have too much stuff.

Just means she has any opinion.

Also for those of you saying that having a cleaning lady allows you to spend more time with your child(ren).... Why not spend time WITH your child(ren) cleaning? There are some awesome lessons embedded in simple household chores.
Personally its just a matter of time available in our house. We do plenty of cleaning ourselves, but when we have soccer or baseball for 4-6 hours and nap for the baby, shopping, laundry, meals, etc. it's hard to dedicate a certain time to clean certain things. And my 2yr old would love to help as in try to squirt the bottle of cleaner in my face or hair or his own hands. I don't think toddlers and cleaners mix! But as far as our general cleaning, everyone does participate. When someone has a small child it may be hard to get into that pattern with them. If they have the extra money, who cares!? I would rather be spending my time off with my kids at the beach, lake or river than cleaning! Cleaning has its time and place. My clients and friends are always asking how I manage to clean my house so much and keep it clean so I don't think it's a matter of my house being filthy because we like to do other things. It's just clean to MY standards. Having someone come clean my house helped me achieve the standards I set for my house.
My3cents 11:23 AM 04-04-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

I don't get people. I really don't.

I'm finally getting decluttered and organized enough to really truly enjoy cleaning my house. I do most of it on Fridays so I have the whole weekend free. We clean up again as a family on Sunday evening before dinner, and then I do basic stuff (picking up toys, etc) during the week until Friday. Works for us in the season we're in right now and, most importantly, I am enjoying this.

Having someone else come in and clean would stress me out so much....
not me........have at it!!!
sahm1225 05:38 PM 04-04-2014
Originally Posted by MCC:
I have a cleaning lady and I love it. It gives me much more time to spend with DD in the evenings. My daycare space is completely separate from my living area, so I can't do any cleaning during the day. My stress level has gone way down since I've hired my cleaning lady.
I agree! We had to eliminate it because my dh got laid off and he took over the cleaning, but I would do it again in a heart beat. My daycare space is separate from our main living area so I did all the cleaning for the daycare. The cleaning ladies changed all the bed sheets, scrubbed the bathrooms, and did lots of detail cleaning. They used to come every other week and it was so nice. I still did lots of cleaning & picking up, but every other week my house looked spotless.

For pp who asked why not get the kids involved - they are involved and they do help clean. It was just to have someone do my detail house cleaning for me!

It was my one little splurge every month.
Josiegirl 04:37 AM 04-05-2014
I begged my best friend to help me clean my house and I'd be willing to pay her. Don't ask me why but cleaning is therapy for her. I never needed therapy that badly I guess. But anyways, she wouldn't accept any kind of payment so I never pursued it. But I know my house would be sparkling after she was done with it.
What I think I need more is someone to come in, help me clear out the clutter and reorganize. Decluttering is my really big problem.
sahm1225 06:29 AM 04-05-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
What I think I need more is someone to come in, help me clear out the clutter and reorganize. Decluttering is my really big problem.
That's my problem too. I would have them do the cleaning and I would focus on one room to declutter per weekend. It was beautiful!
Cradle2crayons 08:19 AM 04-05-2014
I've always wanted a cleaning person and although we could afford it if I budgeted, I just have never been impressed with houses I've seen done by a cleaning person.

My mom has a cleaning lady. I don't know why because they stay in one room and rarely even cook. It's just the two of them and three room doors never even open.i guess the lady dusts and sweeps I have no idea. The house never looks any different to me.

I have a few friends who have cleaning people and I'm not impressed with that cleaning either.

I guess I just would hate to spend he money and my house not be up to my standards.

We don't have a huge house. It's currently five bedrooms and two bathrooms. We are adding a huge addition that will be a second master suite and it should be finished by the end of the summer because we are doing it ourselves between husband working out of state.

Cleaning here is an every single day thing and sometimes twice a day or more. I can't go to bed with a dirty house. And with a s many animals as we have, there is a LOT to do.

Every night at 7:45 we have room check. All daycare kids assist with cleaning up all toys in the daycare room, living room, etc. My kids clean their own rooms. At exactly 7:45 they know I'm coming down that hallway and they are all lined up to present their areas. If my two fail room check they lose their bedtime snack and their 20 minutes of tv or computer time.

Every Saturday my daughter does her own laundry and every Sunday I do the daycare laundry.

The bathrooms are done every Wednesdays and Saturday without fail by myself personally.

Sweeping is done twice a day or more as needed.

All small animal care and feeding is done during room check every night.. At least those that belong to the kids. All critters in cages and tanks are done on Saturdays as far as bedding is concerned.

I handle the outside critter care and everything else animal related if it doesn't live in a child's room lol.

It may take a village to raise a child but if the child never learns to clean and take responsibility, the village failed... End of rant lol.
sahm1225 06:24 PM 04-05-2014
[quote=Cradle2crayons

It may take a village to raise a child but if the child never learns to clean and take responsibility, the village failed... End of rant lol.[/QUOTE]

You cracked me up! I really think it's a personal choice. My mom is a total neat freak. She will scrub every spot of her house, ALL THE TIME. It's crazy to me. It would never occur to me that a wall should be wiped down occasionally. I mean I wipe it when there's crayons or food or handprints, but other than that, it would never occur to me. That's why I liked the cleaning company. They did the deep cleaning, I did all the day to day things.

I do have to say that it is very hard to find a cleaning company that works well with you and does things the way you want it. Some companies are not very good at all. You keep Shopping around until you find one that works for you.

As for your mom - I'm sure it's been years since your mom has changed her linens or scrubbed a bathroom. That might be the reason she keeps the company around?
Reply Up