Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fence Alternatives
KEG123 09:06 AM 04-10-2011
So I got my grant letter back yesterday and they won't pay for a fence. I'm not totally surprised what with the budget cuts, but now I need another cheaper option to keep the kids away from the front yard. One side of my house is a long driveway and the other side is flat grassy area and a small hill leading to my neighbor's hard. The hill isn't so much of my issue, because it sortof acts as a natural barrier. BUT the grassy area is fairly big, 281" (I just tape measured) so almost 23.5 ft.

Ideas? Cheap/easy/effective is my preference!
kidkair 09:29 AM 04-10-2011
Maybe a row of bushes or a flower bed/garden
Mandy_Jane 09:42 AM 04-10-2011
How about a SuperYard Gate? I have used those before to block off certain areas for the kids. You can use zip ties to attach them to something heavy or solid at the ends. That is if you have something there to attach them to! I am planning on making a fenced in area with a few SuperYards in my front yard soon. My front yard is flat and just an overall better play area than my back yard. I hope you can find something that will work for you!
Pammie 11:04 AM 04-10-2011
Originally Posted by kidkair:
My thoughts too - and you just need to teach the kids that they don't go past the flowers Not difficult to teach kids NOT to go past any border - you just have to be serious and consistent, and they'll get it
momatheart 11:17 AM 04-10-2011
Originally Posted by kidkair:
I was thinking a row of bushes as well. I know that Lilacs grow fast and spread fast. You could always relocate the babies to make a longer barrier.
KEG123 11:22 AM 04-10-2011
See and the one child I foresee a problem with is my own. He's a runner.

I was looking into a super yard gate, but that's not so visually appealing. Only one side would I have something to anchor it to, my house.

Bushes might work, but I'd need something tall and dense and quick growing. (Unless I could buy already grown bushes, but I'm sure they're more expensive?) Any ideas on specific plants?
snbauser 01:02 PM 04-10-2011
What about something like this? I actually looked into this to block off my driveway when we used to ride the bikes and stuff out front.
http://www.nextag.com/Kid-Kushion-Re...959/specs-html

KEG123 01:48 PM 04-10-2011
Originally Posted by snbauser:
What about something like this? I actually looked into this to block off my driveway when we used to ride the bikes and stuff out front.
http://www.nextag.com/Kid-Kushion-Re...959/specs-html
Oh i like that...
DancingQueen 02:28 PM 04-10-2011
This is what we use and it is fine with Daycare licensing. Easy to install and very reasonably priced.

KEG123 02:29 PM 04-10-2011
Originally Posted by DancingQueen:
This is what we use and it is fine with Daycare licensing. Easy to install and very reasonably priced.
That's good too. Can I ask what all you had to buy and how you installed it? I'm so not handy.
KEG123 02:35 PM 04-10-2011
Anyone used the non retractable gate? http://www.diapers.com/products/Kid-...-30-Foot-37966
DancingQueen 03:14 PM 04-10-2011
You buy a big roll of wire fencing like this

It is about $37 bucks for about 50' of it (has to be 48" tall here)
then you need stakes to put in the ground

And you put them in the ground every few feet and they are about $5 each

You hammer the steak into the groud about a foot deep (they have guards on them so you know how far to hammer them in
then spread out the wire fencing and the stakes have little hooks on them that the wire hooks in to.

You are supposed to pull the wire nice and tight from stake to stake.

It is so incredibly easy to do.
DancingQueen 03:16 PM 04-10-2011
the driveway ones worry me because in a pinch they are not going to stop a kid from running right through them and knocking them down. They are more of a visual deterant but if you have any daycare kids like mine I wouldn't use it to securely keep them out of an area. But that is just because my daycare kids can be pretty rough
KEG123 04:15 PM 04-10-2011
Yeah dbf said he is considering building a fence like the one above, I'm just not sure how well he'll be able to do it, lol!
DancingQueen 05:21 PM 04-10-2011
I did my own so I promise it is super easy. My 16 year old and I did it. If you can swing a hammer you can do it.
KEG123 05:31 AM 04-11-2011
:laugh: Thanks that may just be the option we go with... although I'm tempted to get the cheaper non retractable fence as a temp solution because my dbf is a huge procrastinator. :laugh:
Tags:fence, fencing
Reply Up