Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Wean A Baby From Being Swaddled?
Kimskiddos 06:57 AM 09-18-2014
This is probably a silly question, but it is something I am dealing with.

I have a now 4.5mo, when she started at 3.5mo she was used to sleeping in a curved bottom bassinette and I had trouble getting her to sleep in my flat PnP. So I bought a couple of those really cute swaddle sacks and she has been sleeping like a champ! We are very close to being on a sleep schedule that works at DC (dcm already had her on one that works very well for me- yay dcm!). So my question is how do I transition her to not using the swaddle? Just go cold turkey, start wrapping it looser? Or just keep using it until she out grows it?

Thanks
Shell 07:07 AM 09-18-2014
Would you consider a zip up blanket sack? The ones with the arms out? Then it's a gradual transition from full swaddled to a lesser one , and then later no swaddle blanket after she gets older?
Kimskiddos 07:38 AM 09-18-2014
Originally Posted by Shell:
Would you consider a zip up blanket sack? The ones with the arms out? Then it's a gradual transition from full swaddled to a lesser one , and then later no swaddle blanket after she gets older?
The zip sack is a good idea! I will see if I can find a light weight one (it's still hot here).

As I've never used these swaddle sacks before I am just unsure how long I should continue to use it. They are a great product and the baby sleeps so well in it.
coolconfidentme 08:00 AM 09-18-2014
I need an answer to that as well. I am only allow to place sleeping baby, flat on his back in PNP. If he falls asleep in swing, he goes to PNP where he cries. Mom uses a wrap at home & I cannot. He is feed, changed & fine. He cries in PNP.
Heidi 08:58 AM 09-18-2014
My little guy here was swaddled, too. Once he could roll over, I was worried about him being pinned, so I just put his arms out, but swaddled his lower body for a while. Then, a couple weeks later, I switched to a light afghan blanket. Even if he put it over his face, he could breathe through it. Being a big guy, and strong, he could pull the blanket out of the crib sides (our regs say that's how we have to blanket them, but swaddling is okay).

As soon as he could roll over onto his tummy well, he did what every other baby I've ever had does. Slept on top of his blanket, on his stomach, tushie in the air.
coolconfidentme 10:03 AM 09-18-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
My little guy here was swaddled, too. Once he could roll over, I was worried about him being pinned, so I just put his arms out, but swaddled his lower body for a while. Then, a couple weeks later, I switched to a light afghan blanket. Even if he put it over his face, he could breathe through it. Being a big guy, and strong, he could pull the blanket out of the crib sides (our regs say that's how we have to blanket them, but swaddling is okay).

As soon as he could roll over onto his tummy well, he did what every other baby I've ever had does. Slept on top of his blanket, on his stomach, tushie in the air.
No blankets allowed until 12 mths old here.
AmyKidsCo 08:12 PM 09-18-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
No blankets allowed until 12 mths old here.
We're allowed blankets but they have to be tucked at the bottom and all sides, under the baby's arms. If the baby kicks it untucked we don't have to retuck.

I'd try a sleep sack if you can use it. Some babies just like to be warm and snuggled.
coolconfidentme 03:41 AM 09-19-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
We're allowed blankets but they have to be tucked at the bottom and all sides, under the baby's arms. If the baby kicks it untucked we don't have to retuck.

I'd try a sleep sack if you can use it. Some babies just like to be warm and snuggled.
We tried it & he still cries. He wants to be held near his chest. DCM has him in a wrap most of the time she is up. Makes it hard for the little guy here.
Heidi 06:24 AM 09-19-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
We tried it & he still cries. He wants to be held near his chest. DCM has him in a wrap most of the time she is up. Makes it hard for the little guy here.
In that case, swaddle him with his arms free for a while. Under the arm pits. Nice and snuggly, but his hands are free if he rolls over.
Kimskiddos 07:19 AM 09-19-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
In that case, swaddle him with his arms free for a while. Under the arm pits. Nice and snuggly, but his hands are free if he rolls over.
I did this with my 4.5mo this morning and it worked great. She is happily sound asleep.
DaisyMamma 10:14 AM 09-19-2014
Originally Posted by Kimskiddos:
This is probably a silly question, but it is something I am dealing with.

I have a now 4.5mo, when she started at 3.5mo she was used to sleeping in a curved bottom bassinette and I had trouble getting her to sleep in my flat PnP. So I bought a couple of those really cute swaddle sacks and she has been sleeping like a champ! We are very close to being on a sleep schedule that works at DC (dcm already had her on one that works very well for me- yay dcm!). So my question is how do I transition her to not using the swaddle? Just go cold turkey, start wrapping it looser? Or just keep using it until she out grows it?

Thanks
Why bother? If it's working for her then she will let you know when she doesn't want it any more.
renodeb 02:39 PM 09-19-2014
I usually just keep using it until they outgrow it and then its really not that big of a deal to wean. You could always just leave the babies arms out to get her used.
Dilley Beans 02:18 PM 09-24-2014
babiesrus.com has some Halo sleep sacks on sale.
Unregistered 03:44 PM 09-24-2014
http://zipadeezip.com/

they are really cute, and they sleep pretty well in it. it kind of reminds me of a starfish...great especially for those active babies trying to crawl out of the PNP!
Tags:swaddled, swaddling
Reply Up