Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Have You Ever...???
wdmmom 06:34 AM 04-11-2011
Have you ever interviewed a family that you thought might be a perfect fit and they wind up pulling a 180 on you?!

I've been interviewing for some openings and I am shocked at one families actions!

I pre-interviewed this family and I knew what they were looking for, etc. They seemed to be a good fit into my program.

What happened next floored me! lol

Prospective family said they wanted the spots pending viewing the whole home including backyard and checking my references. I provided her with 3 references right away and scheduled another interview. The family contacted my references all of which I'm certain gave me a good review.

The daycare family contacted me again to reschedule the interview and asked for more references! As if 3 wasn't enough?! I provided her with a written reference I had along with another former client.

Apparently when she called the former client, she asked all sorts of questions the former family couldn't answer. (In terms of infant care. Their child was 3 when attended.)

After a bit, the prospective family told the former client that I refused to provide current references and that one of my other references said they wouldn't bring their child back. WTF!? I highly doubt that! I would never set myself up for failure like that!

I contacted the family thanking them for the opportunity however, I filled the toddler spot (which I did).

Buh-bye! I don't need that drama! I'm so thankful I was able to identify a problem parent a mile away!
MsMe 06:40 AM 04-11-2011
I once had a family tell me during a interview that they had heard wonderfull things about the onlything they were worried about was the smoking in the house. WHAT? Not only do I not smoke....there is a law in my state that you can't even smoke on the property let alone IN the house! I was so shocked I didn't ask where/who they heard that from and it has always worried me alittle that it was said.

Sometimes I just think people make stuff up in their heads.
cheerfuldom 06:52 AM 04-11-2011
The other family reference probably said they wouldn't bring their child back only because their child is now too old for your program. People hear what they want to hear. I think that is the case since they didn't specifically ask you to explain yourself. 5 references is more than enough. Either it feels right or it doesn't, you know?
missnikki 07:07 AM 04-11-2011
Sounds like it's time to start asking for references for our families! Maybe a phone call to the pediatrician's office to ask the receptionist about the parents....I'm sure you would get a nice idea of what you would be dealing with.
dEHmom 07:17 AM 04-11-2011
I think sometimes, and I'm guilty of this too, when you are dealing with a number of interviews, meetings or phone calls, you can mix them up. Is it at all possible she thought she hadn't received your references before?

I don't get scared off by families saying they have other daycares to talk to/visit. But I often just write them off in my mind. If they come back and contact me then ok. I usually write down how I felt about each family, what happened in interview/phone call, etc so I can jog my memory. But I can't possibly remember everyone I speak to, kwim?
wdmmom 07:38 AM 04-11-2011
Oh, I know exactly what you mean! And, I have no doubt in my mind that she confused me with someone else. I know what kind of program I have and if they get me confused or choose someone else, I hope it works out well. I've had one family interview me 3 different times and go through 3 different providers only to NOT choose me. If parents don't want me the first or second time, I don't waste my time anymore.

I'm glad I'm the one that had the gut feeling I was dealing with a drama mama! If she was gossiping right off the bat, I knew I didn't want to work for her.

I feel with it being my home and my business, I have the right to choose who I want to work for and not, so if it comes off that you feel like I am interviewing you, it's because I am!

I'm thankful I was able to fill my toddler spot and I have 2 interviews this week to fill my infant spot! I hope I can find an ideal family to work for!
Pammie 07:59 AM 04-11-2011
I agree that prospective clients can hear what they want to hear from calling references!

I have wonderful relationships with my current clients that I use on my reference call sheet - as well as past clients that are always happy to serve as references for me. So much so that they always report back to me their impressions of the prospective client whenever they've gotten calls - I think their insight is incredibly valuable, as they know me and my program, and have often picked-up on issues during their reference/conversations that I wouldn't have during the interview! Especially if the prospective client is rude, asks inappropriate questions, or tries to bash me during their conversation!

I have turned down prospective clients based on what my references report back to me how their conversations went!!
TBird 09:37 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by Pammie:
I have turned down prospective clients based on what my references report back to me how their conversations went!!
Good idea to ask your references how the conversation went!!! Unfortunately, some of my families never checked the references (which is probably a red flag in itself)...I know I'm great, but families should ALWAYS check references!!!
DancingQueen 09:48 AM 04-11-2011
I've only had one parent ever ask for references and then found out later that she never even called them (but hired me).
dEHmom 04:18 AM 04-12-2011
I think the fact that you are willing to provide the references says enough. Many employers don't actually check references either when you go for interviews.

If you did not provide references, a family may think, hmmm not a good choice.

kwim?
Meyou 05:18 AM 04-12-2011
I've had people reply to my ads solely based on the fact that I always say multiple present and past client references will be available to call or email after an intial interview.
wdmmom 05:47 AM 04-12-2011
Yes, but I think 3 references are more than sufficient. She wanted 6 and I didn't have 6 to provide! I've been doing daycare for a little over 2 years. I still have 2 clients from when I started and not having that many past clients should prove that I must be doing something right!

I filled my one toddler opening and I have an infant spot to fill. I did 2 interviews yesterday and I'm pretty confident that one of the two families will take the spot!
Meyou 05:53 AM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Yes, but I think 3 references are more than sufficient. She wanted 6 and I didn't have 6 to provide! I've been doing daycare for a little over 2 years. I still have 2 clients from when I started and not having that many past clients should prove that I must be doing something right!

I filled my one toddler opening and I have an infant spot to fill. I did 2 interviews yesterday and I'm pretty confident that one of the two families will take the spot!
I give three past references and as many of the present clients numbers that they want to call. I think that 3 past references are more than enough since I've had all of my current crew for over 2 years.
Tags:interview, interview gone bad
Reply Up