Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Crystal and Anyone Else Familiar With FCCERS
snbauser 11:49 AM 05-27-2014
We are moving in July. Right now I have an open floor plan that allows me to see most of the classroom areas while I am preparing meals. The new floor plan isn't open and I won't be able to see the classroom when I'm making lunch. In my current set up, I didn't get credit for my reading or science centers being available a "substantial portion of the day" because when I'm getting lunch ready, the kids can't use those centers because I can't see them. So when I move, what do I do when I need to take all the kids out of the classroom for the time I'm making lunch because they won't have access to any of the stuff? Any suggestions?

The only thing I can think of is to rearrange our schedule so the short 30-45 minute structured time we have is done during that time and the rest of the morning is open play. But I don't like having pretty much 4 hours of free play before we do structured stuff. Right now we typically do that stuff about 9:30. That gives them from arrival until 9:30 for open play, 45 min of stucture, then outside until 11:30. We come in and they choose quiet centers (books/puzzles/writing/etc) while I make lunch. If I change it around it would end up being open play from arrival until 10:15, outside until 11:15, and then in for structured time until lunch at noon. That would give them something calm and focused to work on while I prepared lunch.
Heidi 12:24 PM 05-27-2014
argh...this is what I hate about FCCER's. I understand the intention, but you can't do it all.

I would definately pick your battles. You're not going to get a 7 on everything no matter what you do, so do what works for you and your kiddos.

The only thing else I can think of is to have "mini" centers in your kitchen. Like a low bookcase with a few examples of math, reading, science, etc in separate baskets. The children could use these during your meal-prep time.
originalkat 12:52 PM 05-27-2014
Good idea Heidi! What about creating small learning tubs for different subjects for each child to use individually while you are preparing lunch.
1)Math box filled with a Math Manipulative
2)Science Box with magnets
3)Literacy Box with Alphabet game
4)Book Box with picture books
5)Small Motor Box with etch a sketch or similar item
6)Writing Box filled with dry erase board/marker/eraser
7)Sensory Box filled with discovery bottles
8)Building Box filled with small wooden blocks

Just an idea!
Unregistered 12:59 PM 05-27-2014
What do they expect you to do when you have a mixed age group with toddlers and infants? How do you set up permanent accessible centers and keep it safe for the littler ones?

I keep most of my stuff in baskets with tall shelves. Items not meant for under 3 year olds are up high and items fine for all ages are down low. Then I take out baskets according to kids' interests or my own ideas or our current curriculum unit or just for a change.
I can set up older kids in the kitchen area or a gated off preschooler area. But when we aren't using the 3+ items I put them away.

So how do you all set up these centers if you have older and younger children?
Heidi 01:11 PM 05-27-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What do they expect you to do when you have a mixed age group with toddlers and infants? How do you set up permanent accessible centers and keep it safe for the littler ones?

I keep most of my stuff in baskets with tall shelves. Items not meant for under 3 year olds are up high and items fine for all ages are down low. Then I take out baskets according to kids' interests or my own ideas or our current curriculum unit or just for a change.
I can set up older kids in the kitchen area or a gated off preschooler area. But when we aren't using the 3+ items I put them away.

So how do you all set up these centers if you have older and younger children?
You can't, really...that's the catch 22. If you have small items accessible for toddlers, they'll "ding" you on the safety. If you don't have them for older kids, they'll ding you on that.

FCCER's was designed as a self-assessment tool to improve your program, from what I understand. It was not designed as and assessment tool to measure quality. It's great as the former, terrible as the later.
KiddieCahoots 01:30 PM 05-27-2014
I don't have any good ideas, but wanted to say kudos for the effort you put into it.
Like mentioned, I find it's a catch twenty two......for just the recommended list of toys you should obtain and use regularly in your child care. Doesn't mesh with different ages, especially oral explorers.
This just adds to my belief of in home family being pushed or forced to phase out.
Annalee 01:54 PM 05-27-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
You can't, really...that's the catch 22. If you have small items accessible for toddlers, they'll "ding" you on the safety. If you don't have them for older kids, they'll ding you on that.

FCCER's was designed as a self-assessment tool to improve your program, from what I understand. It was not designed as and assessment tool to measure quality. It's great as the former, terrible as the later.
TN used the FCCERS for many years but now are using the FCCERS-R. I agree with the "Catch-22", plus many areas are left to the perception of the assessor and that is just wrong.
Heidi 05:20 PM 05-27-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
TN used the FCCERS for many years but now are using the FCCERS-R. I agree with the "Catch-22", plus many areas are left to the perception of the assessor and that is just wrong.
Yeah....my favorite one was getting 5 children, 3 of which are toddlers, sitting down for lunch. My observer (school instructor who uses FCCERs as a guideline) made comment along the lines of:

Sanitation/hygiene requirements say they all need to have their hands washed, the table should be sanitized, and they God forbid they touch anything on the way to the table (did that).

But, I was also told they should not wait for their lunch for more than 3 minutes once seated. (Failure! The oldest kid, 5, decided to take off the other way).

And, I may be mixing up standards, but I believe I am expected to sit with them at meals (I do), and eat with them.

How do you do all 3? Good luck!

Side note: I eat with my group now, but some days, I just HATE it. Right now, I have 4 under age 2. It's a constant reminder to sit nicely (not turn around), to keep food on their plates vs. the floor, to eat THEIR food vs. someone else's, to not throw their plates or cups on the floor, etc. It's not like I nag, but by the time one is done eating, wants to be excused, etc, I've eaten 2 bites, and someone is whining. It's not like I'm withering away, but it's a bit stressful.
Annalee 06:11 PM 05-27-2014
Yeah....my favorite one was getting 5 children, 3 of which are toddlers, sitting down for lunch. My observer (school instructor who uses FCCERs as a guideline) made comment along the lines of:

Sanitation/hygiene requirements say they all need to have their hands washed, the table should be sanitized, and they God forbid they touch anything on the way to the table (did that).

But, I was also told they should not wait for their lunch for more than 3 minutes once seated. (Failure! The oldest kid, 5, decided to take off the other way).

And, I may be mixing up standards, but I believe I am expected to sit with them at meals (I do), and eat with them.

How do you do all 3? Good luck!

Side note: I eat with my group now, but some days, I just HATE it. Right now, I have 4 under age 2. It's a constant reminder to sit nicely (not turn around), to keep food on their plates vs. the floor, to eat THEIR food vs. someone else's, to not throw their plates or cups on the floor, etc. It's not like I nag, but by the time one is done eating, wants to be excused, etc, I've eaten 2 bites, and someone is whining. It's not like I'm withering away, but it's a bit stressful.
You got it.....on any given day, anything can happen!!!! I am in TN so our lawmakers mandated it in 2002 and providers HAVE to do the FCCERS-R assessment every year.....yes, every year! We then get a report card that defines us for a year! Once again, don't wanna beat a dead horse because it is common knowledge on this board how I feel about the assessment!
Heidi 06:18 PM 05-27-2014
You got it.....on any given day, anything can happen!!!! I am in TN so our lawmakers mandated it in 2002 and providers HAVE to do the FCCERS-R assessment every year.....yes, every year! We then get a report card that defines us for a year! Once again, don't wanna beat a dead horse because it is common knowledge on this board how I feel about the assessment!
It is common knowledge on this board how 99% of providers feel about this assessment!

Which I find interesting. We, on the front lines, know NOTHING in the eyes of the "experts".

I cannot do enough of this.... x a googleplex
snbauser 06:22 PM 05-27-2014
I am in TN so our lawmakers mandated it in 2002 and providers HAVE to do the FCCERS-R assessment every year.....yes, every year! We then get a report card that defines us for a year! Once again, don't wanna beat a dead horse because it is common knowledge on this board how I feel about the assessment!
We are not required to do it here, but we have a star rating system of 1-5 stars and you can not get a 5 without getting it done and it is extremely difficult to get a 4 without it. But at least we only have to get them done every 3 years.
snbauser 06:23 PM 05-27-2014
It is common knowledge on this board how 99% of providers feel about this assessment!

Which I find interesting. We, on the front lines, know NOTHING in the eyes of the "experts".

Annalee 06:38 PM 05-27-2014

With the state-mandated FCCERS-R assessment the assessors are persons with BS degrees in social work/early childhood and, I dare say, very few assessors have worked with children in any sort of setting....just enforcing their OWN perception of a book/tool without any realistic view whatsoever. If only lawmakers would listen!!!!!
Heidi 06:48 PM 05-27-2014
With the state-mandated FCCERS-R assessment the assessors are persons with BS degrees in social work/early childhood and, I dare say, very few assessors have worked with children in any sort of setting....just enforcing their OWN perception of a book/tool without any realistic view whatsoever. If only lawmakers would listen!!!!!

SignMeUp 08:01 PM 05-27-2014
It's the equivalent of my (former) doctor telling me how to lift a toddler properly, explaining it as if the child were an immobile box
snbauser 03:37 AM 05-28-2014
argh...this is what I hate about FCCER's. I understand the intention, but you can't do it all.

I would definately pick your battles. You're not going to get a 7 on everything no matter what you do, so do what works for you and your kiddos.

The only thing else I can think of is to have "mini" centers in your kitchen. Like a low bookcase with a few examples of math, reading, science, etc in separate baskets. The children could use these during your meal-prep time.
I know that I can afford to take the hit but prefer to do what I can to avoid whatever I can because we all know the that anything that can go wrong will go wrong when they are here.

I actually talked to our CCRR rep last night and she is going to come out to my new place before I reopen after my summer break and help give me some ideas. I have also thought about having a shelf with some stuff to keep them busy but there is no way I want to have stuff from every center. Although I'm not thrilled about the new floorplan not being an open plan, I am actually looking forward to the fact that my classroom will be a completely seperate room from my living area and that at the end of the day I can just close the door. I will have a couple of things out in the living area - cubbies will be by the front entry and table will need to be off the kitchen, but the rest will all be in the classroom. So I want to minimize how much else I put in our living room.
Heidi 04:42 AM 05-28-2014
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I know that I can afford to take the hit but prefer to do what I can to avoid whatever I can because we all know the that anything that can go wrong will go wrong when they are here.

I actually talked to our CCRR rep last night and she is going to come out to my new place before I reopen after my summer break and help give me some ideas. I have also thought about having a shelf with some stuff to keep them busy but there is no way I want to have stuff from every center. Although I'm not thrilled about the new floorplan not being an open plan, I am actually looking forward to the fact that my classroom will be a completely seperate room from my living area and that at the end of the day I can just close the door. I will have a couple of things out in the living area - cubbies will be by the front entry and table will need to be off the kitchen, but the rest will all be in the classroom. So I want to minimize how much else I put in our living room.
Oh, I hear you on that one!

Is the classroom big enough that you could put a small kitchenette in there, and your lunch table?

When I was talking about some of the stuff, though, I really meant a small cabinet or shelf with bins (or baskets) like a PP said. Each bin having one or two items. No huge daycare-y load of stuff.

Art: stamp pads, markers, small papers
Math: counters and two or three little bowls for sorting/counting
Science: magnifying glasses and different items to view, maybe a book that's applicable (like a sea shells book and sea shells)
Language: lined paper cut in half sheets, and something to "copy", and a few books (2 baskets, so they don't write on the books)
Manipulatives: a puzzle or two
Annalee 05:01 AM 05-28-2014
Oh, I hear you on that one!

Is the classroom big enough that you could put a small kitchenette in there, and your lunch table?

When I was talking about some of the stuff, though, I really meant a small cabinet or shelf with bins (or baskets) like a PP said. Each bin having one or two items. No huge daycare-y load of stuff.

Art: stamp pads, markers, small papers
Math: counters and two or three little bowls for sorting/counting
Science: magnifying glasses and different items to view, maybe a book that's applicable (like a sea shells book and sea shells)
Language: lined paper cut in half sheets, and something to "copy", and a few books (2 baskets, so they don't write on the books)
Manipulatives: a puzzle or two
Here, providers are expected to have certain amount of hours access to "everything" based on the number of hours open. If we limit the children to certain materials, we get discounted if the hours of accessibility are not met. Yep, it is CRAZY! Just making sure if that is the case for your state you limit the times you dictate what the kids do. If we mess up on the accessibility time, we get discounted in 17 areas....maybe it is different in your state. Just wanna help! Good luck!
Heidi 05:53 AM 05-28-2014
Here, providers are expected to have certain amount of hours access to "everything" based on the number of hours open. If we limit the children to certain materials, we get discounted if the hours of accessibility are not met. Yep, it is CRAZY! Just making sure if that is the case for your state you limit the times you dictate what the kids do. If we mess up on the accessibility time, we get discounted in 17 areas....maybe it is different in your state. Just wanna help! Good luck!
Yes, we have a QRIS program, as well. I decided to remain a 3-star program, because even though I have the education to get 4 (2 classes short of 5), I will not completely change the way I do things. My daycare kids are happy, get lots of supervised free-play, lots of outdoor time, rest, good food, and they are learning. My 17 mo dcg knows who's cup belongs to whom (by color), and my 11 mo dcb just said "Hi" to her and her mom when they came in (hand up and all).

I don't have "centers", although I have my stuff sorted by groups and in an inviting way. They like making car or alphabet soup. I don't have a designated classroom, and they are in sight or sound, not sight AND sound, at all time. Is there a little risk? Yep...but that's part of growing up...controlled risk.
Annalee 06:05 AM 05-28-2014
Yes, we have a QRIS program, as well. I decided to remain a 3-star program, because even though I have the education to get 4 (2 classes short of 5), I will not completely change the way I do things. My daycare kids are happy, get lots of supervised free-play, lots of outdoor time, rest, good food, and they are learning. My 17 mo dcg knows who's cup belongs to whom (by color), and my 11 mo dcb just said "Hi" to her and her mom when they came in (hand up and all).

I don't have "centers", although I have my stuff sorted by groups and in an inviting way. They like making car or alphabet soup. I don't have a designated classroom, and they are in sight or sound, not sight AND sound, at all time. Is there a little risk? Yep...but that's part of growing up...controlled risk.
I wish our system was voluntary! We can choose not to participate but all that does is put an N/P on our report card but we still have to go through the assessment process so what good is that? Our score can still be viewed online. I would like the option to "opt-out" and not go through the assessment. Regardless of my AS degree/CDA/ education/experience, my scores hinge on my assessment score and something is wrong with that....If I do not score at least a 4 on my assessment, the report card is an automatic "0". I always score well, but I still think the process needs revamped or done away with...Too much clout is placed on the actual assessment!
Heidi 06:32 AM 05-28-2014
I wish our system was voluntary! We can choose not to participate but all that does is put an N/P on our report card but we still have to go through the assessment process so what good is that? Our score can still be viewed online. I would like the option to "opt-out" and not go through the assessment. Regardless of my AS degree/CDA/ education/experience, my scores hinge on my assessment score and something is wrong with that....If I do not score at least a 4 on my assessment, the report card is an automatic "0". I always score well, but I still think the process needs revamped or done away with...Too much clout is placed on the actual assessment!
Ours is like this:
1 star means DCF is in the process of shutting them down
2 stars is those folks who are willing to opt-in, but really don't have any interest. It's an "automated" rating
3 stars means you work with a technical consultant, get a certain amount of points, and set goals, presumably to become a 4 or 5 star later
4 stars means you get enough points, plus have a formal rating, done by someone other than your technical consultant, and have at least 24 credits in ECE
5 stars is the same, but more points needed and you have to have a minimum of an Associate's degree.

Our scores are also online, and in our state you cannot take state subsidized children without participating. So, if you don't want state-subsidized kids (I have none now), you can opt-out completely.
MarinaVanessa 08:31 AM 05-28-2014
And this makes me upset. At least in my county some of the assessors worked in child care before becoming assessors, some still do and conduct assessments also. Granted that most worked in centers however center requirements in both licensing and ECERS are much more strict than FCCERS.

I've been to FCCERS trainings and they always ask people if they are interested in becoming assessors BECAUSE they need assessors and want them to have direct experience in child care. Not many people do though if they are FCC because then they'd have to get a sub while they went off to do assessments so your pay is almost a wash when you factor in gas and the cost of paying a sub while you're gone.

So in the defense of ERS, not many people that work or have worked in child care want to do it.

Actually it was originally ECERS for child care centers and then they made the Infant/Toddler one so they made one for FCC also and then one for School Age kids. It was not made to be a self-assessment tool although many states and programs use them as self-assessment tools that was not what they were designed for.

Even then it is a great tool to use for self-assessment (I use it now) but I think most states/programs start off using them for self-assessments and then later implemented them as required when they started talking about all of this QRIS and Quality programs.

On another note, I'm curious to see how it works for us in CA. Many people complain about FCCERS and how hard the assessments are and here in CA our QRIS program will have TWO assessments, not just one. Both are different. We will have the FCCERS and a CLASS (Classroom Assessment Scoring System) assessment which assesses our interactions with the children. So we have TWO assessments in our QRIS compared to everyone else's one assessment, neener neener neener .
Annalee 09:08 AM 05-28-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
And this makes me upset. At least in my county some of the assessors worked in child care before becoming assessors, some still do and conduct assessments also. Granted that most worked in centers however center requirements in both licensing and ECERS are much more strict than FCCERS.

I've been to FCCERS trainings and they always ask people if they are interested in becoming assessors BECAUSE they need assessors and want them to have direct experience in child care. Not many people do though if they are FCC because then they'd have to get a sub while they went off to do assessments so your pay is almost a wash when you factor in gas and the cost of paying a sub while you're gone.

So in the defense of ERS, not many people that work or have worked in child care want to do it.

Actually it was originally ECERS for child care centers and then they made the Infant/Toddler one so they made one for FCC also and then one for School Age kids. It was not made to be a self-assessment tool although many states and programs use them as self-assessment tools that was not what they were designed for.

Even then it is a great tool to use for self-assessment (I use it now) but I think most states/programs start off using them for self-assessments and then later implemented them as required when they started talking about all of this QRIS and Quality programs.

On another note, I'm curious to see how it works for us in CA. Many people complain about FCCERS and how hard the assessments are and here in CA our QRIS program will have TWO assessments, not just one. Both are different. We will have the FCCERS and a CLASS (Classroom Assessment Scoring System) assessment which assesses our interactions with the children. So we have TWO assessments in our QRIS compared to everyone else's one assessment, neener neener neener .
Providers receive additional notes every spring and fall. Assessment has become a game and once you learn it, the rules change. Instead of placing so much emphasis on the count, providers should be allowed to meet science/literacy/math in play centers focusing on accessibility, not quantity. Now we have to visibly have quiet and loud play separated which is a large perception issue for assessors and can be a dagger for providers if assessors so choose. There are quality providers here, but I doubt we all are assessment ready daily. It is a game!!!!!!
Tags:fccers
Reply Up