Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question About School Age and Cal. Reg
familyschoolcare 08:00 PM 08-19-2011
Alright so I interview a potential parent to day. The interview went well. The parent wanted to know if her son (7th grade) could ride his bike from the school to my house a short distance on the days he has an after school activity such as wresting. I told her that I personally did not have a problem with that. However, I need to check with licensing to make sure it was ok with them. I am having a hard time finding the answer to this exact question in the regs. I really do not want to call my rep B/C She does not like me. I can tell by her body language on the days that she was here. She does not like that I am allowed to run a day care in my house even though my landlord does not like the idea. Of course this is only an opinion. Can anyone help I find the title 22 to be very detailed just difficult to find particular subjects. I do not understand how it is set up.
mom2many 08:35 PM 08-19-2011
I have never had any experience with this situation and I just read through CA regs and could find nothing in regards to this. However, I did find page after page on "Criminal Record Exemptions"

If it were me, I would have dcm call your licensing office, if you don't want to call yourself and simply ask if this would be okay. I would also ask her to have them send something to her in writing on what the rules are regarding this, so you have that for his file.

I've learned over the years that it's imperative to ALWAYS get everything documented and in writing for my own protection and peace of mind, when dealing with this agency.
familyschoolcare 05:55 PM 08-22-2011
Does any body know the answer to my question?

I did call my local office lic. office today they sent me to the voice mail of the rep on call for today I will call back Wednesday morning if I do not have answer by then, or they have not called me back.
sharlan 07:11 PM 08-22-2011
I am guessing here, but if he is over 12, he's really not under licensing regs.
familyschoolcare 07:42 PM 08-22-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I am guessing here, but if he is over 12, he's really not under licensing regs.
good point will confirm that as well
familyschoolcare 12:27 PM 08-23-2011
Finally got an answer, alright sorta,

I got a hold of the on call rep for the day and she said that there is nothing in the regs about it only about direct supervision if an out door play area is not fenced, and that we must provided reasonable supervision. she suggested having the mom write a note, to leave in the child's file. I will call in a few days and ask about his not being under lic. regs. once over 12.
sharlan 12:36 PM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
Finally got an answer, alright sorta,

I got a hold of the on call rep for the day and she said that there is nothing in the regs about it only about direct supervision if an out door play area is not fenced, and that we must provided reasonable supervision. she suggested having the mom write a note, to leave in the child's file. I will call in a few days and ask about his not being under lic. regs. once over 12.
Don't you love the gray areas of CA licensing?

Your opinion, my opinion, and licensing's opinion may all be different.
familyschoolcare 01:24 PM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Don't you love the gray areas of CA licensing?

Your opinion, my opinion, and licensing's opinion may all be different.
yeah I almost wish they would be as detailed for everything as they are in who needs a criminal clearance. Atleast then I would know what was expected of me. l
Crystal 02:05 PM 08-23-2011
You are not under any obligation to care from the child on his way to your home from school. Until he is in your care (his arrival) you are not providing services for him, so you are not required to provide supervision. If he were to arrive at your house before school, leave for school on his bike and return from school on his bike, that would be different because he would have already been in your care. You are fine to allow it. I would require Mom to sign a letter that states that the child is in your care from whatever time he is scheduled to arriver to your home from school, until the time she picks him up in the evening.
Tags:california - regulations, criminal record, interview, older kids, school-age
Reply Up