Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Boil Water Notice
Sunchimes 07:37 PM 01-20-2018
We had a major pipe break in town yesterday, leaving us without water for several hours. Luckily, it was just a couple of hours before closing, and we had enough warning to fill up water jugs.

Late last night, we got a boil water notice. They were pretty stern about children/elderly/immuno-compromised issues. No hand washing and no face washing without boiling it for two minutes first. I only have 3 kids here, but I am wondering how hard it is going to be. I really don't want to close. Coming off holidays and a month of illnesses, we all need the care and the money! I know that the last 24 hours has been a huge pain, and that is with just 2 adults in the house.

Legally unlicensed (or the Texas version of that), so it is up to me. Can you offer ideas, suggestions, advice on things I can do tomorrow to make things work comfortably on Monday? I don't remember ever having a boil water order. I have plenty of bottled water, and I have several pitchers of boiled and cooled water. I just keep thinking how hard it is going to be to wash hands by pouring water out of a pitcher. One is 14 months old, 2 are 3 years.

And even if you don't have advice, could you keep your fingers crossed that they get it all straightened out before Monday and this will be a wasted post.
Jupadia 07:41 PM 01-20-2018
Do you have a drink dispenser that you could use (or borrow) that you could use for hand washing. Just fill it with boiled water. Or even some kind of pump coffee run Or such.
Sunchimes 08:08 PM 01-20-2018
Oh, that's a good idea. I don't have one, but if it isn't lifted tomorrow, I'll call my parents. Maybe they will have one.
Thanks.
Josiegirl 01:54 AM 01-21-2018
Hopefully they'll correct the issue before tomorrow! All you can do is keep boiling water and wait for it to end. What about using hand sanitizer for part of it? I don't use it personally but even if you can for a few hand-washings a day?
Sunchimes 07:31 AM 01-21-2018
I can't use sanitizer. Two of my kids keep their hands in their mouth all the time. One is a toddler, the other has sensory issues. One can't stand cold water. One has to have her hands washed every time paint, glue, or marker gets on her. We spend a ridiculous amount of time with soap and water.
storybookending 07:59 AM 01-21-2018
Yikes that sucks! I hope it’s lofted before tomorrow. In the meantime if it is not I would limit the amount of “messy” activities that you have the children do. Maybe put away the paint glue and markers until it is lifted. I like the idea of using a drink dispenser to wash hands. If you don’t have one and have a Wal-Mart close they carry cheap ones for under $10. You could probably write it off in full as a business expense.
flying_babyb 05:55 PM 01-21-2018
baby wipes? We use those constantly for those "messy" moments. I have a sensory kid thats clean obsessed so unless theres horrible dirt (or boogers, or before meals)
, its "go get a wipe"
hwichlaz 06:49 AM 01-22-2018
I'd run to the grocery for a big 2-gallon dispenser of drinking water. You can add more boiled water to it as needed. Keep it with the spigot over the sink for handwashing.
Tags:boil water
Reply Up