Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-07-2018, 07:58 PM
Sunchimes's Avatar
Sunchimes Sunchimes is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,852
Default Holding a Spot

I have read through threads on this subject, but for some reason, I just can't make it come together in my mind. Maybe you guys can clarify my thinking.

I have 2 leaving in the fall for pre-k. One is a child who has been with me for 3 years. I also have his baby brother, a child that is amazing, easy to take care of, happy, easy going. I would really hate to lose him. The parents are great, pay well, never any issues. I would hate to lose them. Now, the problem. Mom told me a month ago that they are trying to have another baby. If she gets pregnant pretty soon, it will still be 11 months before I get the baby. I know most would say that she would need to pay half price from August (when the spot becomes available) until the baby starts, in Spring. She is very thrifty, and I don't believe she would do that. I made a serious mistake before the second baby was born. She told me in Feb, and the baby started in January. I tried to fill the spot with a temporary child, but no one wanted a temporary spot. So, I basically lost 3-4 thousand dollars that year. Stupid, yes, but it is a tiny town, kids are hard to find, and I made the choice to accommodate a dependable family.

I don't want to do that again. Circumstances have changed, and I can't afford the loss. I am going to talk to her this week. I think I am going to tell her that from the time the spot opens in August, she will need to put down a non-refundable deposit of 2 weeks tuition, and pay half of the normal rate. Not at all sure that she will go for that, and honestly, it feels like a bit much to me too.

What do you think? How should I deal with this? I really do want this baby next year, I just can't afford the loss.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-07-2018, 09:51 PM
Jo123ABC's Avatar
Jo123ABC Jo123ABC is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: U.S.
Posts: 328
Default

This is a tough one! I also live in a small town. I got lucky the 1 time I had to deal with this issue and was able to fill a temporary spot. In your shoes I would probably do as planned and charge her the holding fee. I would still try to fill temporarily to get a full payment. If you are able to fill temporarily, you can tell her after you've found someone maybe? I hope it all works out for you!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-08-2018, 04:19 AM
mamamanda's Avatar
mamamanda mamamanda is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,131
Default

Honestly I feel like you're worrying about something that hasn't even happened yet. She may get pregnant right away or they may have to try for several months. Kids could come or go between now & then. I totally get wanting to be prepared, but unless she's actually pregnant & requesting the spot I'd probably just fill the August spot as normal. You might mention it casually to her just to give her first option to hold it, but it's so hard to predict what will happen a year from now.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-08-2018, 04:24 AM
amberrose3dg's Avatar
amberrose3dg amberrose3dg is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: somewhere
Posts: 1,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunchimes View Post
I have read through threads on this subject, but for some reason, I just can't make it come together in my mind. Maybe you guys can clarify my thinking.

I have 2 leaving in the fall for pre-k. One is a child who has been with me for 3 years. I also have his baby brother, a child that is amazing, easy to take care of, happy, easy going. I would really hate to lose him. The parents are great, pay well, never any issues. I would hate to lose them. Now, the problem. Mom told me a month ago that they are trying to have another baby. If she gets pregnant pretty soon, it will still be 11 months before I get the baby. I know most would say that she would need to pay half price from August (when the spot becomes available) until the baby starts, in Spring. She is very thrifty, and I don't believe she would do that. I made a serious mistake before the second baby was born. She told me in Feb, and the baby started in January. I tried to fill the spot with a temporary child, but no one wanted a temporary spot. So, I basically lost 3-4 thousand dollars that year. Stupid, yes, but it is a tiny town, kids are hard to find, and I made the choice to accommodate a dependable family.

I don't want to do that again. Circumstances have changed, and I can't afford the loss. I am going to talk to her this week. I think I am going to tell her that from the time the spot opens in August, she will need to put down a non-refundable deposit of 2 weeks tuition, and pay half of the normal rate. Not at all sure that she will go for that, and honestly, it feels like a bit much to me too.

What do you think? How should I deal with this? I really do want this baby next year, I just can't afford the loss.
That is reasonable. What is not reasonable is expecting you to wait that long without income on a spot.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-08-2018, 06:20 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,204
Default

Are we discussing holding a spot for a baby that isn't even conceived yet?

If that is the case, I'd wait until there actually is a baby on the way and go from there.

If you advertise to fill the space that will open in August, who ever takes that space will be plenty old enough for you to accommodate baby when they need baby space. If it's a matter or ratios and capacity in general, you can deal with the issue at that time.

Now until August is a long time.... plus gestation time, plus maternity leave ......I don't know, I don't think you need to stress about that as ANYTHING could happen between now and the day mom actually needs a spot for hypothetical baby.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-08-2018, 06:21 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,204
Default

Is the mom outright asking you about holding a space now or are you just working this all out in your head?
(like most of us do.. )
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-08-2018, 11:53 AM
Sunchimes's Avatar
Sunchimes Sunchimes is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,852
Default

She told me they were trying and wanted a spot.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-08-2018, 11:57 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunchimes View Post
She told me they were trying and wanted a spot.
In that case, I would just say "Well when you have success, let me know." and then smile and let it be.

No sense stressing over something no one has any idea about how, if or when it will play out.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hold spot

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holding A Spot, Thinking Out Loud Baby Beluga Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 11 07-31-2017 07:50 AM
How Do You Charge For Holding A Spot For An Extended Period Of Time? aDCProvider Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 21 04-13-2014 07:27 AM
Policy On Holding A Spot Preschool/daycare teacher Forms - Uploads 16 03-19-2014 12:58 PM
Holding Spot for a Month daysofelijah Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 07-20-2010 08:22 AM
Spot Holding - Downpayment? Unregistered Parents and Guardians Forum 1 11-16-2008 03:18 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:45 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming