Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How do I get it in their heads?????
Thriftylady 10:28 AM 04-24-2015
Yesterday I sent out a notice to all parents about kids not having needed supplies and starting Monday I will not accept them without them. Dad brings DCG in today and we had this conversation.

me "are her shoes in her bag?"
Dad "um I um I don't think so"
me "ok I need you to take her home and get some and you can bring her back"
Dad "she didn't bring me any over this morning with her"
Me (caving here) "ok well for today I will take her but from now on if she doesn't have proper supplies AND clothing to go outdoors she can't stay, I gave mom a notice yesterday do you need a copy?"
Dad "no I can use hers"

I am going to tell mom at pickup, but why is it so hard to bring your kid with what they need? When did it become rocket science?
KIDZRMYBIZ 10:37 AM 04-24-2015
I have the same problem here, regarding shoes and jackets. Little babies brought in carseats with no hat, coat, jacket, or even long sleeves for that matter. Toddlers (that should be walking) get carried in so no shoes. Almost everyone at one point or another, no hat or jacket. I let the offender know at pick-up, in my most exasperated tone, that we couldn't get outside today because of YOU. Then I make them bring me whatever it is they constantly forget to leave here permanently.

I have taken kids outside to play with no shoes a time or two, completely destroying their socks. I feel bad about it, but why should we all stay in on a beautiful day for one missing pair of shoes?
Thriftylady 10:42 AM 04-24-2015
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
I have the same problem here, regarding shoes and jackets. Little babies brought in carseats with no hat, coat, jacket, or even long sleeves for that matter. Toddlers (that should be walking) get carried in so no shoes. Almost everyone at one point or another, no hat or jacket. I let the offender know at pick-up, in my most exasperated tone, that we couldn't get outside today because of YOU. Then I make them bring me whatever it is they constantly forget to leave here permanently.

I have taken kids outside to play with no shoes a time or two, completely destroying their socks. I feel bad about it, but why should we all stay in on a beautiful day for one missing pair of shoes?
This one comes in a footed sleeper each day. She is 12 months so fine, but she needs clothes and shoes for outside. I am thinking of taking her outside in it if it is nice enough today. My SA kids are tired of being cooped up in here.
KIDZRMYBIZ 10:45 AM 04-24-2015
I just want to say I tried getting tough about this kind of thing last year, and I lost some clients. I know they thought I was too strict, and expected too much of them. I know that I shouldn't want those clients anyway, but I would lose them, replace with new ones, and be right back in the same boat again. I think it's just how much (not all, but much) of our society is...just can't see beyond their own nose. I felt like I was wasting too much time and energy, only to find myself interviewing again.
AmyLeigh 10:45 AM 04-24-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Yesterday I sent out a notice to all parents about kids not having needed supplies and starting Monday I will not accept them without them. Dad brings DCG in today and we had this conversation.

Me (caving here) "ok well for today I will take her but from now on if she doesn't have proper supplies AND clothing to go outdoors she can't stay, I gave mom a notice yesterday do you need a copy?"
Dad "no I can use hers"

I am going to tell mom at pickup, but why is it so hard to bring your kid with what they need? When did it become rocket science?
Um, just wondering: He didn't think there were shoes in the bag, but once you told him to go home and get some, he knew that she didn't have any?

I betcha she would have some if you pressed the matter.
Thriftylady 10:52 AM 04-24-2015
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:
Um, just wondering: He didn't think there were shoes in the bag, but once you told him to go home and get some, he knew that she didn't have any?

I betcha she would have some if you pressed the matter.
Well I told him that Monday I would be pressing the matter.
Unregistered 11:13 AM 04-24-2015

Dad "no I can use hers"

you gave written notice yesterday and today Dad still showed up no shoes, I'd remind the mom verbally at pick up that if the baby doesn't show up with shoes on tomorrow I will not except her either way you still get paid for the day. What if some type of emergency were to happened and you and all the other dk had to vacate your home everyone needs shoes on
AmyKidsCo 01:28 PM 04-24-2015
I've taken children out as-is, as long as it's not too cold. If it's an infant without warm enough clothing I'll wrap him/her in a blanket, but older ones go as-is, especially when they get to be 3 or 4 and are old enough to remind their parents that they need boots, mittens, etc.
Leigh 02:30 PM 04-24-2015

Dad "no I can use hers"

If it happens again, whip out your phone and call mom with dad standing there and let the two of them work out who is responsible for getting the child's shoes there NOW.
childcaremom 03:29 AM 04-25-2015
I have it in my policies that your child is either prepared for outside or else you get a call to either pick up your child or drop off proper outdoor gear (I don't check bags at drop off). They also have 30 minutes to do so. I had a family that I had to do this multiple times for. They had to leave work, drive home, come drop outdoor stuff of here, drive back to work. They never left my care.

I go over this in interviews at least 4 times. I also send a list of specifics that they need and tell them to check the weather each morning.

I would have just turned dad around, with child, and told him to come back when she is prepared. Parents like this drive me batty. They need as much training as the kids.
Reply Up