Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holding a Spot
Sunchimes 07:58 PM 05-07-2018
I have read through threads on this subject, but for some reason, I just can't make it come together in my mind. Maybe you guys can clarify my thinking.

I have 2 leaving in the fall for pre-k. One is a child who has been with me for 3 years. I also have his baby brother, a child that is amazing, easy to take care of, happy, easy going. I would really hate to lose him. The parents are great, pay well, never any issues. I would hate to lose them. Now, the problem. Mom told me a month ago that they are trying to have another baby. If she gets pregnant pretty soon, it will still be 11 months before I get the baby. I know most would say that she would need to pay half price from August (when the spot becomes available) until the baby starts, in Spring. She is very thrifty, and I don't believe she would do that. I made a serious mistake before the second baby was born. She told me in Feb, and the baby started in January. I tried to fill the spot with a temporary child, but no one wanted a temporary spot. So, I basically lost 3-4 thousand dollars that year. Stupid, yes, but it is a tiny town, kids are hard to find, and I made the choice to accommodate a dependable family.

I don't want to do that again. Circumstances have changed, and I can't afford the loss. I am going to talk to her this week. I think I am going to tell her that from the time the spot opens in August, she will need to put down a non-refundable deposit of 2 weeks tuition, and pay half of the normal rate. Not at all sure that she will go for that, and honestly, it feels like a bit much to me too.

What do you think? How should I deal with this? I really do want this baby next year, I just can't afford the loss.
Jo123ABC 09:51 PM 05-07-2018
This is a tough one! I also live in a small town. I got lucky the 1 time I had to deal with this issue and was able to fill a temporary spot. In your shoes I would probably do as planned and charge her the holding fee. I would still try to fill temporarily to get a full payment. If you are able to fill temporarily, you can tell her after you've found someone maybe? I hope it all works out for you!
mamamanda 04:19 AM 05-08-2018
Honestly I feel like you're worrying about something that hasn't even happened yet. She may get pregnant right away or they may have to try for several months. Kids could come or go between now & then. I totally get wanting to be prepared, but unless she's actually pregnant & requesting the spot I'd probably just fill the August spot as normal. You might mention it casually to her just to give her first option to hold it, but it's so hard to predict what will happen a year from now.
amberrose3dg 04:24 AM 05-08-2018
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I have read through threads on this subject, but for some reason, I just can't make it come together in my mind. Maybe you guys can clarify my thinking.

I have 2 leaving in the fall for pre-k. One is a child who has been with me for 3 years. I also have his baby brother, a child that is amazing, easy to take care of, happy, easy going. I would really hate to lose him. The parents are great, pay well, never any issues. I would hate to lose them. Now, the problem. Mom told me a month ago that they are trying to have another baby. If she gets pregnant pretty soon, it will still be 11 months before I get the baby. I know most would say that she would need to pay half price from August (when the spot becomes available) until the baby starts, in Spring. She is very thrifty, and I don't believe she would do that. I made a serious mistake before the second baby was born. She told me in Feb, and the baby started in January. I tried to fill the spot with a temporary child, but no one wanted a temporary spot. So, I basically lost 3-4 thousand dollars that year. Stupid, yes, but it is a tiny town, kids are hard to find, and I made the choice to accommodate a dependable family.

I don't want to do that again. Circumstances have changed, and I can't afford the loss. I am going to talk to her this week. I think I am going to tell her that from the time the spot opens in August, she will need to put down a non-refundable deposit of 2 weeks tuition, and pay half of the normal rate. Not at all sure that she will go for that, and honestly, it feels like a bit much to me too.

What do you think? How should I deal with this? I really do want this baby next year, I just can't afford the loss.
That is reasonable. What is not reasonable is expecting you to wait that long without income on a spot.
Blackcat31 06:20 AM 05-08-2018
Are we discussing holding a spot for a baby that isn't even conceived yet?

If that is the case, I'd wait until there actually is a baby on the way and go from there.

If you advertise to fill the space that will open in August, who ever takes that space will be plenty old enough for you to accommodate baby when they need baby space. If it's a matter or ratios and capacity in general, you can deal with the issue at that time.

Now until August is a long time.... plus gestation time, plus maternity leave ......I don't know, I don't think you need to stress about that as ANYTHING could happen between now and the day mom actually needs a spot for hypothetical baby.
Blackcat31 06:21 AM 05-08-2018
Is the mom outright asking you about holding a space now or are you just working this all out in your head?
(like most of us do.. )
Sunchimes 11:53 AM 05-08-2018
She told me they were trying and wanted a spot.
Blackcat31 11:57 AM 05-08-2018
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
She told me they were trying and wanted a spot.
In that case, I would just say "Well when you have success, let me know." and then smile and let it be.

No sense stressing over something no one has any idea about how, if or when it will play out.
Tags:hold spot
Reply Up