Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Do You Hug A Child After A Time Out?
Yes 11 26.83%
No 10 24.39%
Depends on circumstanes, situations etc 20 48.78%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Poll: Hugging After A Time Out
Former Teacher 05:00 PM 09-30-2013
I was just wondering if anyone here hugs a child after the child was in time out.

Thanks!
LaLa1923 05:07 PM 09-30-2013
I basically do what super nanny does. I always ask for an apology, give them a hug and let them know I love them. I also let them know I definitely know they can make a better decision/choice.
BumbleBee 05:25 PM 09-30-2013
If they want a hug, yes. If they don't, no. Some kids aren't huggers and that's ok.
SilverSabre25 05:58 PM 09-30-2013
I hug my two year old...but that's partly because giving a hug is how he says "Sorry". It's very cute. He's also generally very upset after a time out.

The other kids I have right now rarely (never?) cry in time out, and I don't really feel like they need a hug. When the time out is up, I reiterate that I expect them to make better choices and send them back to playing.
Willow 06:27 PM 09-30-2013
I don't see the point of offering positive reinforcement for completion of a time out/take a break.

To put it bluntly, you don't get a cookie because you were compliant AFTER doing wrong.

You do however get a cookie for not doing wrong in the first place though, and I love to dish out hugs to reinforce unprompted positive behaviors.
LoraJenkins 08:46 PM 09-30-2013
I may get bashed for this but, usually if a time out is used here it was a VERY bad behavior and I am NOT rewarding it with a hug. I use time-outs rarely and as a last resort. The Littles get hugs, high-fives, tickles all day.
Play Care 02:40 AM 10-01-2013
Originally Posted by LoraJenkins:
I may get bashed for this but, usually if a time out is used here it was a VERY bad behavior and I am NOT rewarding it with a hug. I use time-outs rarely and as a last resort. The Littles get hugs, high-fives, tickles all day.

Familycare71 04:53 AM 10-01-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
I basically do what super nanny does. I always ask for an apology, give them a hug and let them know I love them. I also let them know I definitely know they can make a better decision/choice.

Heidi 05:42 AM 10-01-2013

littlemissmuffet 06:35 AM 10-01-2013

Blackcat31 07:07 AM 10-01-2013
I also agree with Lora (and Willow). I don't offer hugs after time out.

I also do NOT require the kids to apologize.

In certain situations for older kids I would but not for the little ones.
MyAngels 07:10 AM 10-01-2013
Another
Unregistered 07:39 AM 10-01-2013
No time out in California per licensing
AnneCordelia 09:00 AM 10-01-2013
I agree with Willow and Black cat.

I have one family in care who has an aggressive 3yo that tends towards pushing others. When they see it they have her hug her victim in apology. I'm not down with that either. You just shoved the kid...they don't want you near them to give them a hug.
Tags:discipline, discipline - positive, time out
Reply Up