Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Childcare Shut Down In My State-State Licensing Fail
Country Kids 12:40 PM 06-11-2018
Last week a childcare was shut down in my state and quite the licensing fail.

She had been shut down in two other states and then moved here.

Was the "perfect" childcare till the story broke! Parent's were notified by letter there was a problem. Nothing was said what the problem was so parents trusted the provider as her story was convincing about the issue and kept taking the children there.

She had a child tied to a crib-assistant took pictures for the state, children kept in the basement I believe for hours, drop off on the porch and pickup, the list went on and on.

All her "credentials" looked great if they had been real. Website was beautiful and wonderfully worded. She was charging $1700 I believe and receiving it and all illegal care.
Pestle 01:14 PM 06-11-2018
Not reading anything about this but what you've shared, what I find unbelievable is that she had an assistant. She must've been truly delusional instead of simply malevolent, to think that another adult would see that and not go running for help.

Or maybe deeply cynical, expecting that everybody would sink to her low if the money was right?
Blackcat31 01:14 PM 06-11-2018
While I definitely believe this woman is a horrible provider and shouldn’t be allowed to operate a child care in any state this is an absolute failure by Oregon’s DHS.

“Bernt, the Oregon spokeswoman, said officials will evaluate whether the state needs to do more when vetting childcare owners”

“State officials don't check to see if the information they receive is accurate, Bernt said”
Country Kids 01:23 PM 06-11-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
While I definitely believe this woman is a horrible provider and shouldn’t be allowed to operate a child care in any state this is an absolute failure by Oregon’s DHS.

“Bernt, the Oregon spokeswoman, said officials will evaluate whether the state needs to do more when vetting childcare owners”

“State officials don't check to see if the information they receive is accurate, Bernt said”
I don't believe DHS was involved-we are through the Dept. of Education. Licensing and DHS are two strictly different areas.
Blackcat31 01:38 PM 06-11-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I don't believe DHS was involved-we are through the Dept. of Education. Licensing and DHS are two strictly different areas.
In that case, I mean which ever dept oversees or governs licensing then.

In my state it's the Department of Health and Human Services. I forgot that several state operate their child care programs through the Dept of Ed

Either way, the governing entity failed and failed BIG!
Blackcat31 01:41 PM 06-11-2018
Links to the story(ies)

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/i...ntify_day.html

https://www.opb.org/news/article/por...yside-sprouts/
Country Kids 01:43 PM 06-11-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
In that case, I mean which ever dept oversees or governs licensing then.

In my state it's the Department of Health and Human Services. I forgot that several state operate their child care programs through the Dept of Ed

Either way, the governing entity failed and failed BIG!

Yes and because of their fail, we providers are being put under a microscope. Good thing yes, but now providers that have done this for years are being not written up but "noted" on things that are ridiculous and the union is working overtime for so many of these issues. They are causing great providers to quit though that have done this for years.
Blackcat31 02:05 PM 06-11-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Yes and because of their fail, we providers are being put under a microscope. Good thing yes, but now providers that have done this for years are being not written up but "noted" on things that are ridiculous and the union is working overtime for so many of these issues. They are causing great providers to quit though that have done this for years.
Welcome to the world of child care in most of the other 49 states in the US.

This is happening in alot of states. I posted not to long ago about the provider that got run through the mill because a baby dies of SUID in her care and it didn't matter one bit to the state that she was a veteran provider with an impeccable record for almost 30 years.... She testified to the senate in regards to the behavior and hidden faults of DHS and their over exaggeration in regards to their powers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9eTrprw3lA

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89479
Tags:daycare closed, tied
Reply Up