Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fire Sprinkler Systems in Daycare Centers
susanpierce124 06:21 AM 12-22-2009
I am renting a building that was a daycare (state shut it down on dec 4,09). I am going to open it as another daycare center. The city is talking about making me put in a sprinkler system (they haven't made up their mind yet). How expensive is it to do this ?? The building is about 4000 sft.

Also, does anyone have any good ideas about promoting my center? I am really afraid that people are gonna look at the building and (even though it will not have the same name, owner or employees still associate me with the old center. I just need some ideas how to set my center apart from the other one. I am in Texas. Thank you.
DBug 04:08 PM 12-22-2009
To promote your center, I'd make a big deal about "the new face of XYZ Daycare", how it's under new management and ownership. I'd make sure a slogan to that affect is on every form of advertisement (newspaper ads, radio ads, flyers, business cards, banners, etc). Something like "It's a Brand New Day at XYZ Daycare". Flyers and brochures could also continue that theme with details about "Brand New Curriculum", "Brand New Equipment", "Brand New Playground", etc.

I would also have an open house on a weeknight or Saturday afternoon -- make it a big, exciting, carnival type atmosphere, and give guided tours through your facility, making sure the tour guides point out all of your upgrades, new equipment, curriculum, etc. I wouldn't let the tour guides demean the previous daycare by any means, but I would have them point out what the building was like before, and how you've changed it, especially where it pertains to safety and regulations.

Depending on how much you have in your advertising budget, you could donate to (or organize a fundraiser for) a local children's charity or hospital. Send out press releases and have the media come for a photo op of when you hand over the cheque to the charity. In all of your communication with the media, make sure to reiterate that this is a brand new start for this facility, with new management, ownership, and staff.

That's what I'd do :-) Now, as for your sprinkler question, I have no clue. But good luck! I hope it goes well for you!
Unregistered 06:40 PM 01-06-2010
Hello,
we don't need a sprinkler system but thought we would price it out. We will have a 7000 sq ft building and it was going to be 41,000 dollars to put it in hope this helps.
Unregistered 03:21 PM 10-10-2010
My wife and I are leasing a building in kaufman county tx. We have spent a lot of our own $ on the building and just now found out that the fire marshall thinks that we will need to put a fire sprinkler system in now. The state requirements say that you must have either a sprinkler system or fire extiguishers for every 2000 sqft. We have installed fire extiguishers throughout the building but the fire marshall is still not satisfied. Also, there is nothing on the kaufman county guildlines for daycare centers that states that you must have a fire sprinkler system? The landlord says that we will have to pay for the system to be installed. Is this fair and what should we do?
Crystal 08:09 PM 10-10-2010
To the OP....I would look at the county code and regulations for when the building was originally built. You could feasibly argue that the building was originally built to code and request a waiver.

For marketing....I agree with DBUG.
BentleysBands 03:47 AM 10-11-2010
no advice but great ideas Dbug!!
Unregistered 05:09 PM 05-23-2011
The building I rented does not have a fire extinguisher system who is responsible for installing the system. I am wanting to open a day care center
Unregistered 05:56 PM 12-02-2019
I'm trying to open my own child care center, I think I found the perfect location. Are sprinklers only determined by the county?

Also, what's a good platform to hire employees?
Unregistered 06:47 PM 06-02-2021
Hello, I am wanting to open a daycare center in the state of Tennessee. I have a 1800 sq. ft. building which is divided into multiple rooms. I have already installed the required fire alarm system. I have the employees and the space to hold up to 38 kids. I was wondering if anyone knew the regulations on having to have a sprinkler system in a daycare in Tennessee. I was first told I did not have to because my building was small enough to not have one but am now being told something different. Any information would be so helpful! Thank you.
Michael 07:15 PM 06-02-2021
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hello, I am wanting to open a daycare center in the state of Tennessee. I have a 1800 sq. ft. building which is divided into multiple rooms. I have already installed the required fire alarm system. I have the employees and the space to hold up to 38 kids. I was wondering if anyone knew the regulations on having to have a sprinkler system in a daycare in Tennessee. I was first told I did not have to because my building was small enough to not have one but am now being told something different. Any information would be so helpful! Thank you.
I find no mention of sprinkler system requirements: https://www.daycare.com/tennessee/group.pdf
Tags:advertise, new center, promotion, sprinkler systems
Reply Up