Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Start a Daycare
JaimeR 06:51 AM 07-27-2011
my wife and i are tryin to get this daycare center started and there are so many things to do i am kinda stuck in a chicken and the egg situation .. not sure what comes first. also i dont have an aa in child care or cda which do you think can get accomplished quicker ?
adunn0804 12:40 PM 08-23-2011
Hello all, I am new to this forum and new to having a daycare as well! I am almost done with all the state requirements to get licensed, and should be up and running in a few months(california is a little slow...)I have seen a lot of post asking what to do first and though i am new i found that the best way to get an idea was to go to your states page I.E. i live in california so i went to california's state government page(www.ccld.ca.gov/) and it should bring up what the first steps/requirements are for your state. Also a huge help is if you contact your local Childrens Home Society Office(Not sure if they are nationwide?), they will help you through the whole process. It is very confusing and some what over whelming! There are days where i feel completely lost and dont feel like im near ready!!! But im still truckin on!! Right now im at the point where im a little overwhelmed with getting everything i need organized and all the right forums and making sure my house is ready for inspection and getting contracts and everything else typed up and ready to go!! Its definitely a whirlwind right now! But i am super excited and cant wait to be running my own business! Good luck to all of you and hope this helped!!!! If anyone is in california i would love to catch up and be able to help and be helped!!!
jan 12:18 AM 08-24-2011
I was wondering if anyone would know if a person can have a licensed home in WA state unincorporated king county, without the backyard and using just parks and nature trails which are minutes away, instead of the enclosed backyard? A little confused. Thanks Janice
CHUCHILUV413 06:47 PM 09-21-2011
I want to open a daycare, would like to know if there are grant in florida i can appy. thanks
louie 06:34 AM 10-19-2011
I am a registered Day care provider and you have my phone number wrong on your site how do I change this who do I email
Bonnie
Blackcat31 01:06 PM 10-19-2011
Originally Posted by louie:
I am a registered Day care provider and you have my phone number wrong on your site how do I change this who do I email
Bonnie
You can send Michael a PM. He is the site owner.
Jojo11367 10:28 AM 10-26-2011
HEllo!!!!!!!
I am new here, and I am highly interested in opening a daycare in new york. If anyone knows the first step pleaseeeeee let me know
mdzn5440 02:31 PM 01-02-2012
Well, I have went to my first orientation for opening a daycare I have one more to go at the end of the month, I have been reading alot of what you guys write. and you all will probably be hearing from me alot LOL!
Tumble Jungle 07:49 AM 01-06-2012
Originally Posted by CHUCHILUV413:
I want to open a daycare, would like to know if there are grant in florida i can appy. thanks
Where in Fl.? I am in NW panhandle....not really a grant, however there are SBA loans available for certain people like women or minorities. How did you go about doing the research for your area. Research meaning, how do you know a dc will work and succeed in the area? Demographics?

Tammy
Soupyszoo 01:24 PM 02-22-2012
I provide care for three little ones out of my home. I am so thankful that I found this forum! It has given me a better understanding and more patience than I ever could have found just venting to my husband! I love what I do and absolutely adore children, but it is nice to know on those days when everything is just crazy that there are ladies (and gentlemen) out there in the exact same boat! I love reading the advice from everyone! I have tons of questions for everyone, and lots to vent about!
meme 03:51 AM 05-03-2012
I'm am trying to gather info to begin the licensing process in Oklahoma. So far this site has been very helpful!
Blackcat31 08:25 AM 05-03-2012
Originally Posted by meme:
I'm am trying to gather info to begin the licensing process in Oklahoma. So far this site has been very helpful!
Welcome to the forum!

Your status has been upgraded so you can post freely now

Also, here is a link to licensing info for Oklahoma: https://www.daycare.com/oklahoma/
CarrieGo 11:53 AM 05-04-2012
I have had an in home daycare for 2 years now. I recently started compiling information for those interested in starting a home based daycare. Here is the site: www.homedaycareresource.com

Mydaycare 01:37 PM 05-10-2012
New to this site, I have being operating a in home daycare for 5 mo now, I tried getting a business license and my HOA will not allow me. Can I still get an EIN number???
Kiki 03:08 PM 05-10-2012
Yes-You can still get an EIN number. I run legally unlicensed, and have an EIN that I use at the end of the year for parents.
tom3341 11:39 AM 06-02-2012
I want to start a daycare. I am 22 years old kindly tell what thing I need to do it..
Corina 01:45 PM 09-07-2012
Hi

I am new to this site. Let me introduce myself, I am 37 year mom of a six year old. We live in Bergen County, NJ. For the past fifteen years I have doing childcare on a basically part-time basis.

You name doctors, lawyers, business owners, etc. I found positions privately, found positions thru nanny agencies. I even worked in a gym's childcare room.

So I was thinking of having a small center for drop in care and enrichment programs (music, art)
I need to find a space in Bergen County, NJ. I know I will have to get registered and licensed. Looking to care for no more than 8-10 kids at a time.

If anyone knows of a space in Bergen County for rent please let me know.

Thank you
Corina

AGEM72 07:30 PM 05-23-2013
Hi, I'm new here and I've been wanting to start a private home day care center but I don't know where to start. Certification, location, clients, fees, etc. I'm a Georgia resident can someone point me in the right direction?
Blackcat31 09:42 PM 05-23-2013
Originally Posted by AGEM72:
Hi, I'm new here and I've been wanting to start a private home day care center but I don't know where to start. Certification, location, clients, fees, etc. I'm a Georgia resident can someone point me in the right direction?
Here is a link to your states licensing regulations and agency contact info

https://www.daycare.com/georgia/

HTH
Rafael 07:04 PM 12-24-2013
Great question. I am having the same issue. Thanks for the question.

Originally Posted by zosim:
Hi All,

I'm happy I encountered this forum. Thanks to all for the great info. I am planning on starting a daycare as well (in South NJ). Almost all of the resources I've looked at pretty much say the same thing... read the licensing requirements of the state first. But what seems to be missing for me is the fact that like in NJ, the first thing the licensing agency requires you to do is to find a location and then get a certificate of occupancy from that location.

How do you do that? If you need to find a location first, does that mean I need to:

1. Find a location
2. Have it inspected if it is feasible to be a daycare center
3. Talk to the municipal zoning board to see if it's zoned for childcare. if not, try to meet the requirements to get the zoning class you need.
4. To get the zone class changed, you'd need to hire an architect to design a plan for your daycare. The plan should meet all state regulation requirements.
5. Once you have an architectural plan, do you submit that first to the licensing board to get it approved, or do you go to the municipal board to get it approved?
6. While all of these are happening, will the landlord be patient enough to let you do all of this? I'm assuming there will be a clause in the lease contract that committing to the lease is dependent on whether a license will be issued by the state.

These are what I've understood as what needs to be done to even get to a point of getting the state to look into your request to get a license. Am I missing anything or have made some incorrect assumptions?

I hope those who have successfully opened a commercial daycare center can provide some insights.

Thanks!

grneyes1234 08:22 AM 01-10-2014
Does the kit https://www.daycare.com/starting_a_daycare/index.html help with opening a commercial child care center? I have a place in mind but dont have a business proposal are anything. I will have to renovate the place as it you to be a convent store, and not a in home daycare.
AIL0410 01:27 PM 01-18-2014
I'm new to this forum. I'm from NYC and I've been thinking about opening a family group daycare. I will like to know about how much it cost everyone to open their daycares. Also, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!!
Neil 04:41 AM 08-12-2014
I want to start day care in North Carolina. I have been an elementary school teacher for almost 25 years in good schools in India in New Delhi . Please let me know the licensing requirements. Can I get a work or business visa to open this, I am currently on B2 visa.
riley.johnson 01:59 PM 01-16-2015
Hi! I have recently purchased a building in my community. I plan on opening a child care center. I am very familiar with daycare laws and the management part of it. (Wisconsin) The building has a great energy efficient steam boiler, but, that results in baseboard heating. I am not at all interested in changing up the heating source. I have read of other centers having baseboard heaters with screens on them to protect from the hot touch. I have googled and researched the various screens, or "safety guards". There are quite a bit out there......Wondering if anyone is familiar with this issue or know of any specific guard or screen to make the baseboards up to licensing code. Thanks!!
Creative Care 11:06 AM 03-26-2015
Hi,

My partner and I are in the process of finding space to start our first child care center and we are having the hardest time. We've tried contacting realtors, but they don't seem to be very helpful. We even tried reaching out to local schools in hopes that they have some extra space, but most are looking for experienced child care providers. I'm getting so frustrated. We are looking for a relatively small space to start off with, no more than 2000 sq ft. If anyone has any leads please contact us at creativecarechildcaremd@gmail.com.

Thanks,

Jamie
purple006 05:35 PM 06-19-2015
I'm trying to open a home child care center in NC and grow it into a center. as I learn more about what I need to do, I have more questions. Does anyone know what steps need to be done when growing from a home child care to a child care center? Would I accually have to move out of my home in order for it to be a child care center?
Jaba6111 03:08 PM 03-17-2016
Hi everyone in WA state,

I need advice on how to get Professional liability insurance, Accidental/medical insurance, Supplemental auto insurance with? Maybe there is an agency that does all three? Just wondering who might be the best deal also...

Ja
Michael 03:43 PM 03-17-2016
Originally Posted by Jaba6111:
Hi everyone in WA state,

I need advice on how to get Professional liability insurance, Accidental/medical insurance, Supplemental auto insurance with? Maybe there is an agency that does all three? Just wondering who might be the best deal also...

Ja
Try DCI
https://www.daycare.com/advertisers/dci/index.html
MLittle 02:56 PM 04-05-2017
This is a pretty helpful thread, which I was happy to see since I'm looking to get more involved and eventually start my own daycare. Forgive me if this is a redundant question, but what advice would you give to someone who is just starting out? From experiences you've had and mistakes you might have made, anything will be extremely helpful. (I tried reading through the whole thread but it's a lot of information )
simplegirl2018 09:19 AM 03-11-2018
I work in a daycare center and am looking for ideas on advertising and attracting more customers as its a private center and area we are in its hard to attract customers due to competition I believe, any ideas.
Michael 10:59 AM 03-11-2018
Welcomto the forum. Here are some threads with marketing ideas: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...arketing+ideas
rkofer0299 05:51 PM 05-08-2019
Hello! I am looking to open a daycare in my local church in PA. However I am not sure what it entails in terms of licence, regulations, codes, etc. Can someone help me with that?
Michael 08:02 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by rkofer0299:
Hello! I am looking to open a daycare in my local church in PA. However I am not sure what it entails in terms of licence, regulations, codes, etc. Can someone help me with that?
Welcome to the forum. Here are your state's standards: https://www.daycare.com/pennsylvania/
smartgirl2021 05:22 PM 02-09-2021
Please can someone give me information on CDA renewal in FL
Cat Herder 03:53 AM 02-10-2021
Originally Posted by smartgirl2021:
Please can someone give me information on CDA renewal in FL
"The Florida CDAE has a 5 year renewal process. • National CDA is a nationally recognized Child Development Associate Certification. The Council for Professional Recognition offers both the original certification and a renewal process every 5 years."

https://training01-dcf.myflorida.com...aefaq.html2pdf
Tags:daycare classes, daycare kit, insurance, kit, open a daycare, start a day care, start a daycare, starting a daycare
1 2
Reply Up