Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cleaning & Sanitizing Wooden Blocks
renodeb 06:53 PM 01-21-2017
I just got new wooden blocks and they need cleaned and sanitized. How do you clean wooden blocks. (there the wooden square ones,) not the building ones if that makes since. I know eventually the paint will start rubbing off but I was hoping to keep them new for a bit.
Deb
MarinaVanessa 07:04 PM 01-21-2017
Like small colorful unit blocks? I use plain soap and water and a soft sponge then either dunk in bleach/water solution or spray with it and let them air dry
renodeb 09:44 PM 01-21-2017
There not unit blocks there the blocks with alphabet letters on them but that would work.
Thanks
debbiedoeszip 09:26 AM 01-22-2017
I put mine in a bucket and fill the bucket with hot water, a couple of drops of dish detergent, and a splash of vinegar. Let them soak for about ten minutes, then rinse them off with more hot water and allow them to air dry on a towel overnight.
renodeb 11:42 AM 01-22-2017
Thanks Debbie.
lovemykidstoo 04:45 AM 01-23-2017
I put mine in a lingeria net bag and throw them in the dishwasher.
Leigh 07:54 AM 01-23-2017
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I put mine in a lingeria net bag and throw them in the dishwasher.
Why have I never thought of this?! I wash lots of toys in the DW, but always put my blocks in the bathtub in bleach solution. I'm ordering a bag right now so I can put them in the dishwasher!
lovemykidstoo 07:57 AM 01-23-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Why have I never thought of this?! I wash lots of toys in the DW, but always put my blocks in the bathtub in bleach solution. I'm ordering a bag right now so I can put them in the dishwasher!
I get my lingerie bags at the dollar store. They're a little smaller, but that's ok. I do all my little people, plastic and wood blocks, ponies etc all in the dishwasher in the bags. Then they have some water that gets in the nooks so i dump them on a towel to air dry
MarinaVanessa 05:00 PM 01-23-2017
I put some wooden train tracks in the dishwasher once and they started to crack and split, some blocks too .
Since then I've stopped soaking and dish washing wooden toys.
Mike 06:21 PM 01-23-2017
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I put some wooden train tracks in the dishwasher once and they started to crack and split, some blocks too .
Since then I've stopped soaking and dish washing wooden toys.
Too much water/heat mix can do that to wood. Dishwasher may work, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's overkill, unless the parts need a real good cleaning.
Mom2Two 02:09 PM 01-25-2017
Water is really bad for wood, so unless you can afford to replace them, would just use Chlorox wipies. But know that you won't be able to sanitize wood nearly as well as plastic. Wood is porous.

OR just set them aside for a week if there's an issue such as a sick kid who played with them. Unless it's something really serious, cold germs will be pretty dead after a week.

If we know our DD is sick, or if we have a kid returning to care who has been very sick, sometimes we put toys up or a few days until the child is a bit further along in recovery. Some illnesses, such as stomach flu are contagious after symptoms have stopped. When we know a child has had stomach flu, we often put many of our toys away for three days after the child returns to care.

Sometimes I say to DH "Anything you don't want to Chlorox wipe after daycare, put it away before they get here!"

If you're talking about sanitizing after a mouthy infant, I would only give the child plastic toys.
Cat Herder 05:35 AM 01-26-2017
I rotate out wood blocks daily. I keep three sets.

I spray with bleach solution, let sit for two minutes, wipe, sun dry, then use a make up sponge to dab bees wax protectant on them before return to playroom. The older kids enjoy helping me wax them as well, great pre-writing/fine motor/self-help/social-emotional activity, too.

Before unregistered asks, Yes, the wax is child safe. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01B3BP97I?psc=1
Former Teacher 05:46 PM 05-07-2021
I was gifted to a huge amount of duplo. I heard that the dishwasher was bad for them.

So guess who handwashed them all lol
CeriBear 06:31 AM 05-09-2021
I usually spray them with Lysol spray at the end of the day. I used to wash them with soap and water but too much water is bad for the wood.
Tags:cleaning toys, sanitizing, wooden blocks
Reply Up