Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would You Charge to Transport?
misskjp 07:12 AM 02-04-2019
What do you charge for school pickup/drop off service? I have a mom of 2 who doesn't have bus service, who is asking me to help transport to and from school just for a week. She is just around the corner from school, so not alot of extra fuel expense.

I was thinking $5 per pickup, per day? So $50 for the week, for two kids, am/pm. Am I too low, too high?

TIA!
Blackcat31 07:15 AM 02-04-2019
Originally Posted by misskjp:
What do you charge for school pickup/drop off service? I have a mom of 2 who doesn't have bus service, who is asking me to help transport to and from school just for a week. She is just around the corner from school, so not alot of extra fuel expense.

I was thinking $5 per pickup, per day? So $50 for the week, for two kids, am/pm. Am I too low, too high?

TIA!
You'll more than likely need a commercial insurance policy so I'd check and see how much that will cost you and then decide what you'll charge.

I would never transport as the costs of insurance and liability is too steep for me.
misskjp 07:22 AM 02-04-2019
Doesn't auto insurance follow the vehicle? I have a daycare insurance policy, but was told that my auto policy would cover any accidents, etc since insurance follows the vehicle. I transport children to and from school daily.
Blackcat31 07:40 AM 02-04-2019
Doesn't auto insurance follow the vehicle? I have a daycare insurance policy, but was told that my auto policy would cover any accidents, etc since insurance follows the vehicle. I transport children to and from school daily.
I don't know...you would have to check with your insurance company as it seems all state's are different.

If you are already insured to transport kids then you are just asking what you should charge a parent for transportation outside of your normal to/from trips to school then?

In that case, what if anything do you charge now for trips TO school and pick up FROM school? Is it simply included in your regular rates already?

How does this parent normally get her kids to/from school as I noticed you said she just needs this service for the week?
Snowmom 07:45 AM 02-04-2019
What would I charge to transport?

One miiiilliion dollars.

I personally wouldn't transport because I don't want the liability. If I did, I would take the cost of the added insurance (because that's what my insurance company would require from me to transport commercially and be covered) plus gas and double that charge to families.
misskjp 07:56 AM 02-04-2019
Normal rate is flat rate $18 per day for am/pm care - that includes transport and before/after care at my home.

Double checking on my auto policy as we speak. You guys have me scared now!
Cat Herder 08:00 AM 02-04-2019
Here, there is a lot of mandatory training, certifications and a pile of forms you must fill out and keep on site for 2 years before being allowed to transport.

No thanks.

That is a burden, err, a task worthy of family.
happymom 08:11 AM 02-04-2019
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
What would I charge to transport?

One miiiilliion dollars.
LOL seriously! (and I am a mom who needs transport for my kids)
Blackcat31 08:20 AM 02-04-2019
Normal rate is flat rate $18 per day for am/pm care - that includes transport and before/after care at my home.

Double checking on my auto policy as we speak. You guys have me scared now!
Oh, don't be freaked out.... I wasn't aware when you initially posted that you already transport. I thought you were asking about doing it temporarily for one family and that it wasn't something you did regularly already....

If you already transport to and from school to your house I am sure you are just fine....and you are basically asking what to charge for a ONE time transport fee for a family just for the week correct?

If so my answer is to charge a fee of maybe $20-25 as it's temporary but IS additional work and is kind of a "special service" as you don't normally offer transportation from parents' homes....

I would also consider saying no as you already transport but ONLY to/from school and sometimes when we go that extra mile for a parent that asks, they assume that service will always be available. kwim?

If this parent has no bus service for the week and the reason why "could" potentially happen again, she is always going to expect you to offer your services then and depending on whether or not you want to always be that safety net for her would be your answer as to whether or not you want to do this for her "just this week" know what I mean?
CityGarden 09:57 AM 02-04-2019
I found my auto insurance policy did not cover dcks unless I purchased separate commercial coverage for business and transportation of minors. The cost was high.... also my standard daycare insurance would also be increased so it was just not financially worth it for me.

The facts it was not financially viable plus the hassle of cars seats / transporting kids already in my care made it easy to just decline those requests.
Mom2Two 11:22 AM 02-04-2019
If you are getting paid to care for someone's child, you have a lot of liability. My agent told us that our homeowner's/auto policies probably wouldn't cover a daycare incident, because it was business. We have business liability and transport. The only real reason I keep the business transport insurance is because I still have some school aged kids that I watch on vacations who are friends with my daughter. I take them on field trips. If it weren't for that, I'd drop it--it's expensive.
LysesKids 07:19 PM 02-05-2019
Normal auto policies DO NOT cover transportation of children you are paid to care for; it's considered business; the liability & cost is very prohibitive in most areas. I's why most of us refuse to transport
UpandcomingTransportation 02:26 PM 06-17-2021
I am seeking to contract my transportation services to a daycare that is in need of transporting 20kids 3-4 days a week. How much should I charge?
Tags:insurance, liability insurance, transportation - charges, transportation issues
Reply Up