Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare.com Forum and its Future
Michael 03:08 PM 02-11-2021
A lot of change has been happening in my life lately. This forum over the las 11 years has become one of the best resources for childcare parents and providers. At its height, we were getting over 600 posts a day. We are down to less than 40 a day now.

The reason is simple. While it is a goldmine of information, it is an old program that is not "mobile ready". Google now penalizes websites that are not mobile ready. Over 50% of our traffic uses mobile devices. I get why this forum should be mobile ready but the database is so large that I can not get the database to transfer over to the newest program which has mobile ready benefits.

That's unfortunate. I have a few directions I can go forward with. I would appreciate your feedback.

1) Install the new program and basically start over. The new forum over time will get Google indexing rewards of mobile-ready searches

2) Keep the forum as is

3) Do 1) and link to the old forum as an archive
Pandaluver21 03:54 PM 02-11-2021
I would definitely love to see more traffic, and if mobile is the way to go that might be worth it... HOWEVER I would hate to loose all the history we have on here. My vote would definitely be more towards #3 to keep both at some level.
Thank you for all you do!!
Former Teacher 05:02 PM 02-11-2021
I agree! Do 3!

I said a rhyme lol
Valerie928 06:22 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by Pandaluver21:
I would definitely love to see more traffic, and if mobile is the way to go that might be worth it... HOWEVER I would hate to loose all the history we have on here. My vote would definitely be more towards #3 to keep both at some level.
Thank you for all you do!!
Yes! I agree with this.
e.j. 07:32 PM 02-11-2021
I'm not very tech savvy so while #3 seems to make the most sense to me, too, is there a downside to doing it this way?
Michael 07:44 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I'm not very tech savvy so while #3 seems to make the most sense to me, too, is there a downside to doing it this way?
Yes, you would need to create a new account on the new system. Anything you had on this forum would be available to some degree. I guess my emphasis would be to play down the old forum to push the new one.
284878 08:16 PM 02-11-2021
#3...
Michael 08:33 PM 02-11-2021
I'm going to be in Florida for the next week or two. Thanks for the moderators and members who continue to keep this forum going. I'll make a decision when I get back. Thanks all
Blackcat31 08:28 AM 02-12-2021
Originally Posted by Michael:
I'm going to be in Florida for the next week or two. Thanks for the moderators and members who continue to keep this forum going. I'll make a decision when I get back. Thanks all
I vote #3.

I don't mind "starting over" at all.

In all honesty I don't post as often or reply sometimes because I think "why repeat something that has been typed out a ton of times already" so having the opportunity to reply and give advice on a new platform would be welcome in my opinion.
littlefriends 09:06 AM 02-12-2021
I vote #3 as well
DaveA 09:38 AM 02-12-2021
#3 sounds like the best option.
Annalee 11:00 AM 02-12-2021
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I vote #3.

In all honesty I don't post as often or reply sometimes because I think "why repeat something that has been typed out a ton of times already" so having the opportunity to reply and give advice on a new platform would be welcome in my opinion.
Same here!
momofsix 11:03 AM 02-12-2021
I havent been on the forum for quite a while, after being an active for a long time. Mainly because I hardly use my laptop anymore and mostly use my phone-so I guess #3 would be my preference.
CenterTeacher20 01:14 PM 02-12-2021
Agree with #3!
flying_babyb 04:49 PM 02-12-2021
im newish here. I would say 3! I would hate to lose the ability to look back at this forum and be able to search it!
Josiegirl 02:40 AM 02-13-2021
I've noticed the down tick of replies but thought it was just me.
I don't contribute nearly as much anymore because I feel I don't have anything to add, not being in the business. And the off topic section isn't as fast track as it used to be.

I like option 3 as well. Just curious, would any of the topics change or the format?
I prefer using my laptop because it's much easier to see than my phone plus I'm not that good with my phone. But that's just me.
Whatever you decide is fine, as long as it doesn't disappear altogether.
Michael 04:31 AM 02-13-2021
The format would look the same on your desktop. The biggest improvement would be on your smart phone. The layout would be better and you would not need to zoom in on text or pictures.
Gemma 01:49 PM 02-13-2021
My vote is for option 3 as well
flying_babyb 04:35 PM 02-13-2021
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I've noticed the down tick of replies but thought it was just me.
I don't contribute nearly as much anymore because I feel I don't have anything to add, not being in the business. And the off topic section isn't as fast track as it used to be.

I like option 3 as well. Just curious, would any of the topics change or the format?
I prefer using my laptop because it's much easier to see than my phone plus I'm not that good with my phone. But that's just me.
Whatever you decide is fine, as long as it doesn't disappear altogether.
I miss the off topic fastness too! I hate doing forums on my phone, all those LITTLE letter buttons. I grew up in the tech age and still perfer my laptop
Michael 06:34 PM 02-13-2021
Well with the mobile ready forum, your desktop and laptop will still look the same. With the newer program, smart phones will be able to display the text better.
dolores 11:17 AM 02-14-2021
Option 3. And a downloadable app would be a nice feature for smartphone and computer.
CeriBear 05:26 AM 02-15-2021
Option # 3 is my vote too.
Ariana 03:59 PM 02-17-2021
Option #1 OR #3.
Lovatic24 11:26 PM 02-18-2021
Not #1
Josiegirl 03:38 AM 02-19-2021
I vote #3.

While I agree with this, I also disagree. Sometimes when I look for something and can't quite put my finger on what I need, I simply ask the question again. And let's face it, rules change, parents change , expectations change, even though so much remains the same.

Most importantly, hope you are doing okay Michael. You're dealing with a lot of loss. Don't let this place be your priority right now.
Michael 05:27 AM 02-19-2021
While I agree with this, I also disagree. Sometimes when I look for something and can't quite put my finger on what I need, I simply ask the question again. And let's face it, rules change, parents change , expectations change, even though so much remains the same.

Most importantly, hope you are doing okay Michael. You're dealing with a lot of loss. Don't let this place be your priority right now.
Thank you. While this month has had a lot of loss for me there is also much to celebrate. My son Jonathan worked on the Mars 2020 Mission at JPL that successfully landed on Mars yesterday. Here are a few pictures for him with his late grandmother at the Jet Propulsion laboratory.
Attached: 8757C35A-2436-4C53-9796-596D1432C969.jpg (78.7 KB) AA507269-04B7-461B-BBFA-FA8F41A0A260.jpg (86.3 KB) 
Cat Herder 05:50 AM 02-19-2021
That is amazing.
Annalee 08:14 AM 02-19-2021

There is some truth in this, Josie! However, sometimes I'm just 'talked-out'. On our zoom meetings, a provider text me and asked why I wasn't talking/speaking up. I told them "I've been in this business so long, every single one KNOWS how I feel already". Just tired of rinsing/repeating. Make sense?
Blackcat31 08:40 AM 02-19-2021
Originally Posted by Annalee:
There is some truth in this, Josie! However, sometimes I'm just 'talked-out'. On our zoom meetings, a provider text me and asked why I wasn't talking/speaking up. I told them "I've been in this business so long, every single one KNOWS how I feel already". Just tired of rinsing/repeating. Make sense?
Yes, this!

I absolutely agree that parents change, rules change and expectations do as well but there are times in which I read some of the things that providers post and I honestly think in my head that they know the answer, they just don't want to hear it. Or the ever popular....they want an easy solution because they don't like conflict or confrontation.

It's hard to be a business owner as it is but to manage a business that involves humans on both the child and adult level in conjunction with your own family's needs and there is going to be conflict or confrontation and the short answer is there is no way to avoid it other than to just cave and let parents and children walk all over you or use your backbone. Truth be told, those are THE only options.

Also as a long time provider it's hard to "fluff" up my reply/advice as to not hurt the posters feelings but still state the truth. kwim?

I've watched (and participated) in the evolution of both this board and the role of being a provider and I understand the metamorphosis of what happens to those long time providers as they progress through their careers.

For example, not too long ago a former provider that no longer posts regularly here made a comment about seasoned providers on this site having a "mean girl" attitude and creating an atmosphere here that newbies aren't welcome.

I've gotten PM's from new providers/members telling me that I (as well as a few other veteran posters) are heartless, cruel and basically burnt out. It's almost as if they know that hard work is required to achieve the results they want but rather than accept the advice, they use anger towards those that gave the advice.
(hopefully that makes sense)

I read alot and keep up with new posts etc here but I definitely don't feel the need to offer up advice that does work only to called heartless etc.

As I said, I agree that parents change, rules change and expectations change but most of all providers change. Most (NOT all) newer providers want butterflies and glitter all the time. They don't want to be told clients won't put them first or care about them as people. They don't want to hear those things. They want easy and they want nice.
Michael 09:03 AM 02-19-2021
Well said BC. There is a different dimension with this forum, in that it puts the whole nation’s opinions onto different providers in both large and small towns. One size does not fit all.

We have to take what is helpful and toss all the rest away. The culling of posts is a personal decision. The problem is created when members want an all-or-nothing approach here. That is more a current reaction to current events. We are becoming segregated in many ways in the country. Politics has crept into everything and the old norms don’t work as well.

We have so much information on here that it’s generational. Social change in a format that is stark to see. That is a positive IMO. It reflects the truth no matter how hard visitors try to define it otherwise. The forum now has a past, present and future.
Annalee 09:35 AM 02-19-2021
Yes, this!

I absolutely agree that parents change, rules change and expectations do as well but there are times in which I read some of the things that providers post and I honestly think in my head that they know the answer, they just don't want to hear it. Or the ever popular....they want an easy solution because they don't like conflict or confrontation.

It's hard to be a business owner as it is but to manage a business that involves humans on both the child and adult level in conjunction with your own family's needs and there is going to be conflict or confrontation and the short answer is there is no way to avoid it other than to just cave and let parents and children walk all over you or use your backbone. Truth be told, those are THE only options.

Also as a long time provider it's hard to "fluff" up my reply/advice as to not hurt the posters feelings but still state the truth. kwim?

I've watched (and participated) in the evolution of both this board and the role of being a provider and I understand the metamorphosis of what happens to those long time providers as they progress through their careers.

For example, not too long ago a former provider that no longer posts regularly here made a comment about seasoned providers on this site having a "mean girl" attitude and creating an atmosphere here that newbies aren't welcome.

I've gotten PM's from new providers/members telling me that I (as well as a few other veteran posters) are heartless, cruel and basically burnt out. It's almost as if they know that hard work is required to achieve the results they want but rather than accept the advice, they use anger towards those that gave the advice.
(hopefully that makes sense)

I read alot and keep up with new posts etc here but I definitely don't feel the need to offer up advice that does work only to called heartless etc.

As I said, I agree that parents change, rules change and expectations change but most of all providers change. Most (NOT all) newer providers want butterflies and glitter all the time. They don't want to be told clients won't put them first or care about them as people. They don't want to hear those things. They want easy and they want nice.
Yes; and as Nick Saban says (paraphrasing) "if you want easy and nice, you need to be selling ice cream; being a leader is not easy and nice all the time"!
Cat Herder 09:58 AM 02-19-2021
I think it is simpler than that. Experienced providers think and act their way through issues. New providers feel their way through them. The forum reads the same way.

It takes years to be able to appreciate the difference and put it into practice. My business has very little impact on my emotions, anymore. It simply is not personal to me.

When I first came to this forum, it still was emotional, a bit. I was using my business to meet unmet personal emotional needs at home. Once I recognized it, thanks to posters here, I was able to address my needs and put my business back into the structure, consistency and rationality it required. Emotions = Family. Policies = Business. The parents seemed happier, too. No more walking on eggshells for anyone.

I struggle with this vote because I often go back to old posts to check myself when I feel nothing. I don't want to go too far in either direction. Mush or Steel. I love the archives so much more than the current topics. I miss actual debate, educational topics and open ended discussion. I loathe all the required parroting of "QRIS". Original ideas, techniques and opinions based on hands on experience, please.

I understand change needs to happen and I will support this forum either way. It has helped my marriage, parenting and business. I am very thankful for it.
Cat Herder 12:40 PM 02-19-2021
I think Thomas Sowell nailed it in 2011 - "The reason so many people misunderstand so many issues is not that these issues are so complex, but that people do not want a factual or analytical explanation that leaves them emotionally unsatisfied. They want villains to hate and heroes to cheer - and they don't want explanations that do not give them that."
Josiegirl 02:18 PM 02-19-2021
BC,I completely get that. I guess where I was coming from, was thinking back to when I found this place, and the things that helped me so much were fresh ideas that everyone shared; ideas about activities, routines, handbooks, etc. I created so much more in the terms of enjoyment for the dcks in my dc, from all the expertise and wisdom that was offered here. Just the day to day fun and routine management(not to mention parent management) that helped. Of course, if people searched the archives, that can all be found but I always figured new people=new ideas, KWIM?
I've always loved this place ever since I stumbled upon it. It's been a place I've felt welcomed, supported and understood. I honestly don't know how my dc would've evolved if not for here and the wonderful people that share their ideas and opinions.
Being in this new part of my life, I still visit(obviously ) and want to contribute but wish(I know I mentioned this before)the off topic traffic would increase. That's just me not wanting to leave though.

Michael, thank you for sharing the pictures of your son and mom; looks like they had a treasured relationship.
284878 07:39 AM 04-22-2021
Hey I was wondering what the status is on this, what did you decide Michael?
CenterTeacher20 08:23 AM 04-22-2021
Yeah I was wondering about this too!
Michael 09:02 AM 04-22-2021
I’ve been thinking about it also. I’ve been busy migrating my other sites to a new server including Traveler.com. As you can see with Traveler, it is mobile ready.

In order to keep both the new and old forums going I am considering placing the new forum at the address forum.daycare.com. That way it can be on another server with the newest programs.
Michael 12:40 AM 04-25-2021
Would you all try out the new forum? It has a long way to go but I would like to see if you can register. I have been having issues using Chrome and Edge but Firefox works fine. Maybe it has something to do with my cache. Let me know what you think. Also, it is mobile ready and there are 12 templates to choose from:

https://forum.daycare.com/
turtle1 04:34 AM 04-25-2021
Good Morning Michael,
I use Chrome and was able to access the new site. When I tried to register it gave me the following error message: unexpected error was returned. Call to undefined function".
Cat Herder 06:01 AM 04-25-2021
Originally Posted by turtle1:
Good Morning Michael,
I use Chrome and was able to access the new site. When I tried to register it gave me the following error message: unexpected error was returned. Call to undefined function".
Same thing happened to me when I tried to add a password.
CeriBear 06:39 AM 04-25-2021
I tried to register and I keep getting an error message.
Michael 07:55 AM 04-25-2021
Thanks. I’ll let you know when I figure that issue out. Everything else seems to work. Maybe I’ll manually add your login info here so you can sign in and check it out.
Former Teacher 08:27 AM 04-25-2021
I also tried and got the same message
Annalee 12:01 PM 04-25-2021
I'm getting the same message, too, and I tried with firefox and still got same message??
Michael 12:51 PM 04-25-2021
Ok, I resolved the issue. Would you try again to register? I would mostly like to know if the mobile version is a lot better than this older version here which has no mobile capabilities. Thank you
turtle1 02:08 PM 04-25-2021
Michael, I was able to register on the new site. Thank you.
e.j. 03:01 PM 04-25-2021
I was able to register, too. My dob is incorrect, though. I know I entered the correct date but when I checked my profile information, the dob was my husband's dob, not mine. I have no idea how that happened but I know I didn't enter his dob by mistake.
Michael 05:51 PM 04-25-2021
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I was able to register, too. My dob is incorrect, though. I know I entered the correct date but when I checked my profile information, the dob was my husband's dob, not mine. I have no idea how that happened but I know I didn't enter his dob by mistake.
PM me your correct B’day and I will change it.
Annalee 04:31 AM 04-26-2021
I'm unclear how to change my avatar. I can get into my profile and account but am overlooking that option.

Thanks!
Cat Herder 05:11 AM 04-26-2021
I'm unclear how to change my avatar. I can get into my profile and account but am overlooking that option.

Thanks!
Hover over the photo. The option will light up in blue
Annalee 06:18 AM 04-26-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Hover over the photo. The option will light up in blue
not having any success with that
Blackcat31 06:33 AM 04-26-2021
I started a morning chat thread on the other forum for anyone interested in participating!
Cat Herder 06:38 AM 04-26-2021
On your profile page? Top right hand corner, then your profile.

I also had to resize my avatar down to really small for it to upload the entire image instead of a corner of it.
Annalee 06:39 AM 04-26-2021
On your profile page? Top right hand corner, then your profile.
Yes; that's where i'm at??
Blackcat31 06:39 AM 04-26-2021
Click on your username to get into your profile
Once in your profile, if you hold your cursor over your avatar area a blue box should pop up in the bottom right side of the avatar area that says "Edit Avatar"

If you click that, another box should pop up where you can upload your custom avatar picture and edit/resize as well.
Annalee 06:44 AM 04-26-2021
Click on your username to get into your profile
Once in your profile, if you hold your cursor over your avatar area a blue box should pop up in the bottom right side of the avatar area that says "Edit Avatar"

If you click that, another box should pop up where you can upload your custom avatar picture and edit/resize as well.
Did you do that, blackcat? If so, thanks! I was messing with it and boom, there's my avatar and i wasn't even on the blue screen yet...lol
Blackcat31 06:47 AM 04-26-2021
Did you do that, blackcat? If so, thanks! I was messing with it and boom, there's my avatar and i wasn't even on the blue screen yet...lol
Yes, I did... I am learning the mod functions as well so I thought I'd give it a try since you were having trouble with the avatar.

I 'think' you can do what CH said above and maybe edit the size of it...I don't know. My photo had to be cropped but I noticed CH's is smaller so I don't know about the sizing functions yet.
Annalee 06:49 AM 04-26-2021
Yes, I did... I am learning the mod functions as well so I thought I'd give it a try since you were having trouble with the avatar.

I 'think' you can do what CH said above and maybe edit the size of it...I don't know. My photo had to be cropped but I noticed CH's is smaller so I don't know about the sizing functions yet.
Not touching it... As long as I can post, I'm good!
Cat Herder 07:45 AM 04-26-2021
I am learning the mod functions as well
I have not even found those, yet.
Gemma 08:29 AM 04-26-2021
The page open and I'm able to navigate but I don't see a "Register/ Log in button
Gemma 08:35 AM 04-26-2021
Never mind, I was able to register...I'm a slow bloomer
Gemma 09:43 AM 04-26-2021
update: I can comment on posts, but I still cannot add a reply
Cat Herder 10:08 AM 04-26-2021
Originally Posted by Gemma:
update: I can comment on posts, but I still cannot add a reply
Scroll to the bottom where it says "write something"

If you click on comment, you are only commenting on that post
e.j. 10:55 AM 04-26-2021
PM me your correct B’day and I will change it.
Thank you. I just sent it.
Gemma 12:24 PM 04-26-2021
Scroll to the bottom where it says "write something"

If you click on comment, you are only commenting on that post
I was clicking "Post Reply"
Cat Herder 05:20 AM 04-27-2021
Has anyone figured out how to add tags for easier search?
Cat Herder 05:54 AM 04-27-2021
I went to the arts and crafts group, joined, but see no way to add content.
Blackcat31 06:34 AM 04-27-2021
Has anyone figured out how to add tags for easier search?
So far I have figured out that:

Only the first post can have tags added to it.
Tags need to be added when making the post but mods can edit the post and add tags. A small box appears at the bottom of the post/text box that says TAGS+
Click that and you can add tags to a post.
Cat Herder 06:35 AM 04-27-2021
So far I have figured out that:

Only the first post can have tags added to it.
Tags need to be added when making the post but mods can edit the post and add tags. A small box appears at the bottom of the post/text box that says TAGS+
Click that and you can add tags to a post.
Ok. Now I have to get past the second password issue. I'll pm you
Blackcat31 06:48 AM 04-27-2021
I went to the arts and crafts group, joined, but see no way to add content.

Click + New Topic box and a text box opens so you can add text or attachments/photos
Cat Herder 07:11 AM 04-27-2021
Click + New Topic box and a text box opens so you can add text or attachments/photos
It is there, now. It was not there earlier. I logged out and back in, refreshed a couple times.
Meeko 07:37 AM 04-27-2021
Meeko here....it's been forever since I actually logged in. I have my user and password automatically saved.
So.....now trying the mobile version. It wants my password...can't remember it. So it asks for my email address....I enter it and it says no.
I am not computer savvy...so what next?!
284878 08:28 AM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Meeko here....it's been forever since I actually logged in. I have my user and password automatically saved.
So.....now trying the mobile version. It wants my password...can't remember it. So it asks for my email address....I enter it and it says no.
Go to the new website and create an account.

You don't need to use your old username or password but you can if you want.

I changed mine to alwaysgreener, look forward to seeing you there.
284878 08:29 AM 04-27-2021
Go to the new website and create an account.

You don't need to use your old username or password but you can if you want.

I changed mine to alwaysgreener, look forward to seeing you there.

Although if you really want to solve the mystery of what your password is p.m. Michael and he'll send you a link.
Blackcat31 08:44 AM 04-27-2021
I will send you a password reset link from this forum so you can get that info...
Blackcat31 08:46 AM 04-27-2021
It says it was sent to jXXXXXXn@gmail.com

Obviously I X'ed out the email info

Is that the correct email?
Michael 09:16 AM 04-27-2021
It says it was sent to jXXXXXXn@gmail.com

Obviously I X'ed out the email info

Is that the correct email?
Now that’s funny
Blackcat31 09:19 AM 04-27-2021
Now that’s funny
Right? But I figure she'll still recognize the first/last letter of her email.
Meeko 09:37 AM 04-27-2021
Right? But I figure she'll still recognize the first/last letter of her email.
Got it! Thanks!
284878 11:58 AM 04-27-2021
Is the new site down? I keep getting an error when I click on a thread title.
Michael 12:06 PM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by 284878:
Is the new site down? I keep getting an error when I click on a thread title.
Yes, I tried to upload a new security patch and it blew up. I can access the backend but not the front end. I am trying to upload the whole program again.

I guess I'm glad this happened now at the beginning then later. Finger crossed I don't have to start over.
Michael 12:22 PM 04-27-2021
Yes, I tried to upload a new security patch and it blew up. I can access the backend but not the front end. I am trying to upload the whole program again.

I guess I'm glad this happened now at the beginning then later. Finger crossed I don't have to start over.
Ok, I have the new forum back up again. phew!
Josiegirl 02:15 PM 04-27-2021
We'll still be able to access the forums the old fashioned way though, right? I don't use my phone for reading much, print's too small.
Cat Herder 02:17 PM 04-27-2021
We'll still be able to access the forums the old fashioned way though, right? I don't use my phone for reading much, print's too small.
I just tried it on my phone, it is much bigger and easier to read than I expected. I am just a quick 10 finger typer, so the lack of keyboard makes it a little harder for me.
Michael 04:04 PM 04-27-2021
I just tried it on my phone, it is much bigger and easier to read than I expected. I am just a quick 10 finger typer, so the lack of keyboard makes it a little harder for me.
I understand. The biggest reward for starting the new forum is that the 8 ton gorilla(google) requires a mobile ready site with an SSL certificate. The old forum was being penalized for not haing it and it had much less relevance in search results. That was too bad since our 15 years or content was being largely ignored. Upward an onward.
Cat Herder 04:34 AM 04-28-2021
I understand. The biggest reward for starting the new forum is that the 8 ton gorilla(google) requires a mobile ready site with an SSL certificate. The old forum was being penalized for not haing it and it had much less relevance in search results. That was too bad since our 15 years or content was being largely ignored. Upward an onward.
I have noticed it loads faster for me. I have less freezing of pages.

I have ridiculously slow internet (Windstream) even though we pay for the highest level. We only have one provider available here.
Tags:forum
Reply Up