Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Developmental Milestones
Pandaluver21 09:15 PM 04-14-2021
So I have an almost 3.5yr old in my group. She is the oldest, but I would say she is the furthest behind developmentally. My youngest is almost exactly a year younger than her.
She uses 2, MABYE 3 word sentences. (and apparently didn't really talk at all before starting with us) Does not understand most basic puzzles. Says "yes" to any question. She just doesn't seem to understand what you are saying most of the time. Despite being told/shown many times, she will not pull her underwear up... just her pants?! (She is only potty trained here) She will consistently put her backpack/jacket on upside down, even after being shown the right way to do it daily. Cannot follow multi step instructions. Does not understand simple crafts. She is still in the "play next to but not with" stage. And probably other stuff I can't think of right now :P
Academically she seems to be picking things up just fine. She came to us about 6 months ago knowing no colors, shapes, letters, numbers, etc. She can now identify almost all colors, many shapes, a few letters and numbers and can count to ten with little help.
Mostly her speech... or lack there of... is concerning me. She speaks more like a late 1/early 2 yr old. For example at lunch the kids will ask "please push me in" My best speaker will fully say "will you please push me in Miss ___"
My lowest (other than her) will say "please push" She just started saying "push" We will say "please push me in?" and she will either repeat push or just say please. This happens with most sentences. Any sentence that she does say more words are sentences that she uses over and over, but don't fit the conversation, and are rarely more than 3 words.
All that to say... is this cause for concern yet? These parents are not the most receptive, so I want to make sure I have a legitimate concern before bringing anything up. Also, she is adopted, but I'm not sure how old she was or how long they have had her, so not sure if anything there has effected her....
She has made leaps and bounds since starting with us, almost like a completely different kid in some ways. I want her to get any help she needs IF she needs it!
Thanks for reading if you made it this far!
Cat Herder 03:53 AM 04-15-2021
It sounds like you are already on the right track. I'd suspect she is spoken to more than with at home and is just catching up. It sounds like you are making a real difference for her.

Not all parents understand the importance of engaging the child in conversation, regularly. Many accept echolalia or parroting as speech, they don't know any better. It isn't something that is taught well, sadly. I worked in childcare almost 5 years before I read about it, myself.
Gemma 04:07 AM 04-15-2021
Unfortunately, I see it often in new enrollments, in the latest years, I'm starting to think this is becoming the "new normal".
If she's making progresses, I'd just be patient, and keep doing what you're doing, and know that you ARE helping her.

Pandaluver21 08:01 AM 04-15-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
It sounds like you are already on the right track. I'd suspect she is spoken to more than with at home and is just catching up.
That is definitely it. From what I've seen she is the "little princess" and has two significantly older brothers at home.

Originally Posted by Gemma:
Unfortunately, I see it often in new enrollments
That's what I assumed it was at first, but her lack of speech at this point just concerns me

Over the last 13 or so years, I've seen many kids come in with "little sister/brother syndrome" But all of them have blossomed out of that within a few months. We had one little girl that definitely had little sister syndrome, and did improve greatly... however her speech also seemed somewhat delayed and we discovered she had Auditory Processing Disorder (then ended up THRIVING with sign language!)
I am not one that is "quick to diagnose" but if there is something speech therapy would help, I know it's best to get her in right away. I have worked with various "special needs" kids and this little girl doesn't really fit into any of those, it really does seem to be just her speech and everyone doing everything for her Teaching her to be independent I can deal with, but I don't feel I can give her the one-on-one a speech therapist could...

I guess we'll just keep an eye on it and see where it goes. Some times I just feel so bad for these kids. She could be so much more!
Annalee 09:12 AM 04-15-2021
Originally Posted by Gemma:
Unfortunately, I see it often in new enrollments, in the latest years, I'm starting to think this is becoming the "new normal".
If she's making progresses, I'd just be patient, and keep doing what you're doing, and know that you ARE helping her.
I agree with you! My latest enrollments all made me think "autism" they are so delayed. Slowly they are catching up. Covid has forced kids into confinement so parents could work on top of the 'helicopter parenting'.
Gemma 10:02 AM 04-15-2021
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I agree with you! My latest enrollments all made me think "autism" they are so delayed. Slowly they are catching up. Covid has forced kids into confinement so parents could work on top of the 'helicopter parenting'.
That's for sure!
Joyfulnoise 11:08 AM 04-18-2021
Originally Posted by Annalee:
My daughter went for kindergarten round up last week & she was so excited!! All I've heard about lately is how long until she can go to school. However, she was sad & kept saying she didn't want to talk about once she came home. She finally told me that she felt like the kids were mean to her, & that a couple of the kids kept turning the lights on & off in the classroom. Apparently she asked several groups of kids if she could join their activities & they said no. And she colored a picture that another took from her & ripped. Now she's afraid to go to kindergarten. Our school system is typically very good about keeping things orderly & not allowing any kind of bullying so I am pretty surprised by the things she shared with me. I can't help wondering if covid has something to do with it. Seems like a lot of kids are lacking appropriate social skills. And the poor teachers are burnt out. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack a thread, but your comment made me think about that more...
Annalee 02:01 PM 04-18-2021
Originally Posted by Joyfulnoise:
My daughter went for kindergarten round up last week & she was so excited!! All I've heard about lately is how long until she can go to school. However, she was sad & kept saying she didn't want to talk about once she came home. She finally told me that she felt like the kids were mean to her, & that a couple of the kids kept turning the lights on & off in the classroom. Apparently she asked several groups of kids if she could join their activities & they said no. And she colored a picture that another took from her & ripped. Now she's afraid to go to kindergarten. Our school system is typically very good about keeping things orderly & not allowing any kind of bullying so I am pretty surprised by the things she shared with me. I can't help wondering if covid has something to do with it. Seems like a lot of kids are lacking appropriate social skills. And the poor teachers are burnt out. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack a thread, but your comment made me think about that more...
Possibly some truth into your post! Our kids go back 5 days a week in a couple weeks. Then there is only three weeks of school left. I think this could be disastrous as the school work is usually complete by this point....just opens the door for behavior issues for all ages pre-k to high school
girlmomma 02:34 PM 04-19-2021
How do you guys tell parents you think there are developmental delays? I have a 3 year old DCB that I suspect he is autistic, but mom and dad both live in a fairytale world.
Tags:developmental milestones, milestones, speech development
Reply Up