Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pricing Problem
MissLisa08 06:36 PM 04-19-2021
I have a mom looking for childcare. She told me she only needs 3 days, Monday - Wednesday and only for 3 to 4 hours a day. I charge by the spot taken not by hours of care. I am a new provider, so I would like to know if I should be charging by the hour if it's 4 hours or less? Or am I okay with charging for the spot and just letting mom know he's welcome to stay longer but I will still need part time spot fee regardless of hours. Please help a new provider out. Thanks!
Cat Herder 03:40 AM 04-20-2021
No. It's a trap. Unstable income for your family is not a fair trade off for "getting my monies worth" for her family.

Start at full time only, you won't regret it. The daycare kids benefit, your mental health benefits and your marriage benefits.
gumdrops 05:39 AM 04-20-2021
I agree with PP, Don't do it!!!

You think, "Oh, it's only a couple of hours," but that child will struggle to adjust and you'll end up regretting it!
MissLisa08 07:40 AM 04-20-2021
Okay, thank you both so much! I'll let her know that sounds more like drop in and I can't help her.
Snowmom 07:40 AM 04-20-2021
I take part time with some contingencies:

1. The rate is higher per day than other FT families. The rate is per DAY, regardless of how many hours and the schedule request can not interfere with my own schedule. Typically, I don't enroll only a couple hours- that's too much of a disruption and has no benefits for the child in terms of socializing.
2. The child must adapt within a reasonable time period. Usually within 4 weeks. If the child is unable to adapt, the contract is null and void. This is in the best interest of the whole group as well as the enrolled child.
3. I require a longer notice to term the contract.
4. All holidays are paid as normal. No switching days.

I currently have 1 child that is enrolled 3 days a week and he's my favorite kid! I actually prefer the higher rate for a shorter week.
MissLisa08 07:48 AM 04-20-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
No. It's a trap. Unstable income for your family is not a fair trade off for "getting my monies worth" for her family.

Start at full time only, you won't regret it. The daycare kids benefit, your mental health benefits and your marriage benefits.
I think I will start a full time only. I so far have 4 children full time. And it's great, I have them all on a schedule. I am fearful of what a part time would do.
MissLisa08 07:51 AM 04-20-2021
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I take part time with some contingencies:

1. The rate is higher per day than other FT families. The rate is per DAY, regardless of how many hours and the schedule request can not interfere with my own schedule. Typically, I don't enroll only a couple hours- that's too much of a disruption and has no benefits for the child in terms of socializing.
2. The child must adapt within a reasonable time period. Usually within 4 weeks. If the child is unable to adapt, the contract is null and void. This is in the best interest of the whole group as well as the enrolled child.
3. I require a longer notice to term the contract.
4. All holidays are paid as normal. No switching days.

I currently have 1 child that is enrolled 3 days a week and he's my favorite kid! I actually prefer the higher rate for a shorter week.
That makes sense. I will definitely keep that in mind. Thank you! At only 3 to 4 hours a day I feel like the kid would barely be getting comfortable and then they would be picked up.
284878 08:33 AM 04-20-2021
Originally Posted by MissLisa08:
That makes sense. I will definitely keep that in mind. Thank you! At only 3 to 4 hours a day I feel like the kid would barely be getting comfortable and then they would be picked up.
I aim for part-time kids. Before the pandemic hit I had two on Tuesday and Thursday only, two on Monday only, two on Tuesday Wednesday Thursday only, two on Monday Wednesday only. The two on Monday came at 11:00 and left at 5:30.

And during the shutdown I had one on Monday Wednesday and two on Tuesday Thursday. So I racked up my hours for the year and had easy days. Also the part-time stuff let's me have Friday off with my children.

Currently I still have my Tuesday Thursday kids and my one Monday Wednesday with his baby sister coming Wednesday only, and the two on Monday only. And I just started a Monday through Thursday child. The Monday only kids are leaving when Mom has the baby the beginning of June. And baby sister will start coming on Monday along with Wednesday.

So part-time works well for me, may not work for other providers and it may not work for you. I wasn't sure how Monday only would work out, but they are great kids, they sleep well, they play well, mom and dad are always on time and they always pay. I charge them a full day rate and they didn't complain. One child was an infant and the other one was a toddler when they began. The infant did have some adjustments but he slept really well and I found ways around having to hold him all the time. Now he is a adorable little boy that I am grateful to take care of for almost 2 years.

My advice is that charging full rate for 3 days. Give them a cut off time for drop off and let them know that if you get inquiry for full-time that you're going to take a full-time family. Give her a rate for a full week in case they would consider ft. They may be the best family ever you will never know.
Annalee 11:07 AM 04-20-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

Amen!!!!
Jo123ABC 12:53 PM 04-22-2021
Originally Posted by MissLisa08:
Okay, thank you both so much! I'll let her know that sounds more like drop in and I can't help her.
I switched my drop in to encompass pt as well because of this issue. So drop in and pt are the same high rate paid for the day. I rarely accept drop ins so it works and simplified this issue for me. If they want a set schedule of 4 days though, I would probably charge for a whole week and they can use the extra day or not as they see fit. I had too many sneaky "oh well since you're closed Tues, I'll just swap days and bring Fri instead!" Which was SUPER annoying. So much for a paid vacation or a predictable schedule. Pay for it all or as drop in at high rate with no swapping days unless I know about it PLENTY of time in advance.
Sunshine69 01:45 PM 04-25-2021
I offered three rates, hourly, daily and weekly. Parents pick one rate and pay that. Hourly and daily were much more expensive and spots were not guaranteed.

If you go this route, do not let parents flip-flop between rates for their benefit. We can’t afford to stay in business when there’s too much for their benefit.
Tags:daily fees, hourly rate, pricing, tuition not based on attendance
Reply Up