Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Increasing Infant Care
Controlled Chaos 02:42 PM 04-26-2021
Hi! Its been a long time since I've been on here. I hope you are all well. I have a question - I hope its ok to ask.

I have an opportunity to impact some policies in my state regarding how we regulate infants and toddlers.

There is a shortage of infant spots and the regulatory office is looking to change rules to make it easier to care for infants. One idea so far is allowing home providers to care for more infants than currently allowed. There have to be more ways than just ratio specific that would make caring for infants less burdensome as far as the state goes, while still keeping kiddos safe.

Question:
1. What is the hardest thing about caring for infants in general?
2. What licensing rule regarding infants is the most difficult to follow? or do you wish would be changed or eliminated?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Gemma 04:52 PM 04-26-2021
Question:
1. What is the hardest thing about caring for infants in general? Personally, the risk of sudden death
2. What licensing rule regarding infants is the most difficult to follow? or do you wish would be changed or eliminated?
The fact that infants cannot sleep in a stroller during an outing so we can't go for a walk anymore.

Those are my two biggest drawbacks
Sunshine69 05:41 PM 04-26-2021
I would’ve actually preferred all infants. They don’t destroy your house like the older kids do.

The biggest problem I’d have with more infants, which I believe is the biggest reason for the limit of 2 per adult in my state, is getting them out in case of an emergency evacuation. If they aren’t walking, you have to carry them.
Gemma 04:28 AM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by Sunshine69:
I would’ve actually preferred all infants. They don’t destroy your house like the older kids do.

The biggest problem I’d have with more infants, which I believe is the biggest reason for the limit of 2 per adult in my state, is getting them out in case of an emergency evacuation. If they aren’t walking, you have to carry them.
I love infants, but I don't see me wanting more than two at a time for that reason.
Cat Herder 04:36 AM 04-27-2021
The only problem I face with infants is the regulation.

Limiting me to only two under twelve months after years of being able to have up to six under twelve months was insulting. The schedules flowed well then and they had age mates to play with and learn from as they grew. My group started as infants, then went off to kindergarten together, strong and confident with a circle of friends/families already intact. Then the next group started. I loved it that way. So did my families.

I fully agree with the no confinement rules and fully support them. Infants should not sleep in chairs or swings. Carseats should not be allowed in the classroom. Infants should be down with toys if not sleeping.

The hardest part was the 35 square foot rule *with no furniture* for immobile infants. Seemed pretty silly. That meant infants took up more space than active toddlers because they required a crib that stayed out all day. If the space ratio included the crib until the child was able to crawl, that would help many providers, including centers. At that point they only take up that extra space for about six months vs. twelve. It makes a difference.

Emergency cribs - portable mini - solve the evacuation problem.
Cat Herder 05:27 AM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by Gemma:
The fact that infants cannot sleep in a stroller during an outing so we can't go for a walk anymore.
Could you maybe get a bassinet style stroller approved?

The issue, then, becomes supervision. If you walk away from the stroller to handle an issue with a toddler, that leaves the infant unsupervised.

Do you have a second person dedicated to only the sleeping infants?

If so, would that person just be better off staying behind with the infants?

It is a difficult thing. Field trips are a very regulated thing here and most parents won't even sign permission for infants to leave the grounds.
Unregistered 05:55 AM 04-27-2021
The toughest part of infant care in my state is having to hold those who cannot hold their bottle. I would have two on the same schedule and one would be crying while the other one was eating. We used to be able to place infants in two bouncy seats and feed them at the same time.
Controlled Chaos 12:15 PM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by Gemma:
Question:
1. What is the hardest thing about caring for infants in general? Personally, the risk of sudden death

Those are my two biggest drawbacks
Thank you for sharing! Yes, there's no keeping an infant awake in a stroller is there?
Controlled Chaos 12:17 PM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
The only problem I face with infants is the regulation.

Limiting me to only two under twelve months after years of being able to have up to six under twelve months was insulting. The schedules flowed well then and they had age mates to play with and learn from as they grew. My group started as infants, then went off to kindergarten together, strong and confident with a circle of friends/families already intact. Then the next group started. I loved it that way. So did my families.

I fully agree with the no confinement rules and fully support them. Infants should not sleep in chairs or swings. Carseats should not be allowed in the classroom. Infants should be down with toys if not sleeping.

The hardest part was the 35 square foot rule *with no furniture* for immobile infants. Seemed pretty silly. That meant infants took up more space than active toddlers because they required a crib that stayed out all day. If the space ratio included the crib until the child was able to crawl, that would help many providers, including centers. At that point they only take up that extra space for about six months vs. twelve. It makes a difference.

Emergency cribs - portable mini - solve the evacuation problem.
Thanks for your reply! You bring up many important things to consider. In my state furniture is allowed to count in the 35 square feet, that's super frustrating it is assessed so strictly where you are.
Cat Herder 12:46 PM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Thanks for your reply! You bring up many important things to consider. In my state furniture is allowed to count in the 35 square feet, that's super frustrating it is assessed so strictly where you are.
The term they use is "usable space". Meaning no furniture, toys or other obstruction to movement. They literally come in with a tape measure and subtract the measurements of the furniture from the measurement of the room. Bonus: Every time they give us a grant it comes with furniture, get enough stars/grants and you lose slots. That is why I keep toys and equipment up and out when not in immediate use. Everything is portable, foldable or light weight enough to be tossed in the attic quickly.

I'll see if I can find the exact wording, BRB.
Cat Herder 01:08 PM 04-27-2021
Building and Grounds

Intent

To ensure that the indoor environment provides adequate space for children’s growth and development through exploration, freedom of movement, etc. To ensure that the physical environment is conducive to the health and safety of children, and to promote a sense of well-being for children and staff.

Clarification

Young children relate to the world through their bodies and their senses, and they require space in which to learn by moving and doing. The size of the play space influences how children behave in a child care setting. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, crowding reduces the ability to control the spread of infection. Crowding can also have a negative effect on children’s activities and state of mind. Inadequate space can lead to aggressive, destructive and unfocused behavior. In addition, the risk of injury from accidents rises when children have insufficient play space. Children’s behavior is more positive when the environment includes enough space for them to participate in developmentally appropriate activities.

Children should be housed in open, well-ventilated areas from which a quick evacuation can be made in case of fire or other emergency. Exits should be kept clear of equipment and furniture to allow for children’s safe evacuation from the Home.

Indicators (for the inspectors )

✓ Observe the areas of the Home used by children to ensure at least 35 square feet of usable floor space per child is available.

✓ Observe basement or other areas below ground level if used as an activity area for children. Measure to ensure compliance with the rule requirements.

✓ Observe the placement of toys, equipment, and furniture in the Home. Check to ensure these items do not block the emergency exits as noted on the Home’s emergency plan.
PB&J 03:33 PM 04-27-2021
Cat Herder I hope the powers that be in my state are not reading this post and getting ideas!

We can still have 4 infants plus 2 older kids per each caregiver. (Ratios for kids older than 16 months are more generous). I would not want MORE than 6 of this age.

We have to follow safe sleep requirements, but they have extended this to no swaddling of any kind (even in special swaddle sacks, or even with arms out), so babies are constantly startling awake. I can’t believe no one has tied lack of deep restorative sleep to bigger health/development issues yet. Our inspector got tired of answering my “but can we….?” Questions and finally said: “we do not allow any practices or devices that let the child fall into a deep sleep. We want them to startle awake.”

For older babies, even if we have monitoring devices and check on them every ten minutes (per regs), we still must have any doors to nap areas completely open. We cannot even have them 1/4 or 1/2… completely open to all light, noise, and traffic. So even at an older baby age, they still become totally alert whenever they naturally wake. Those are the biggest problems in our daycare with infants.
flying_babyb 04:53 PM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
The toughest part of infant care in my state is having to hold those who cannot hold their bottle. I would have two on the same schedule and one would be crying while the other one was eating. We used to be able to place infants in two bouncy seats and feed them at the same time.
This is one of mine too! i had a set of twins and the mom kept them on the same schedule. This meant two screaming babies and only able to feed one. Ill admit they got fed on the boppies a few times.
Tags:infant, infant care, licensing, toddler
Reply Up