Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Forum!
Blackcat31 06:21 AM 04-29-2021
Don't forget to check out the new Daycare.com forum!

It's got a brand new look but still offers everything everyone is used to finding here....advice, support, feedback and of course all the wonderful virtual co-workers and daily chit chat we crave in this profession!

It seemed a bit daunting at first when signing up but it became super easy to navigate and use pretty quickly so if you're hesitant because it's something new, don't be!

Jump right in and you'll see how easy it is!
Never fear though, if you do have trouble or run into any issues just post here and Michael or a moderator will help!

Use your same user name and avatar or start over fresh!
Either way....sign up and start posting!!

You can find the link in the white box at the top of this page or here: https://forum.daycare.com/
Michael 08:57 AM 04-29-2021
I think the best feature I like about the new forum is that when you create a new “channel”(no longer called thread), the program automatically converts it to title caps. This forum doesn’t do that. Maybe no one noticed that here because I use to convert them manually by hand on every new thread.
dolores 09:27 AM 04-29-2021
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Use your same user name and avatar or start over fresh!
What are the benefits to using same user name and starting fresh? Deciding...
Annalee 10:23 AM 04-29-2021
Originally Posted by dolores:
As an old-timer, seasoned provider, I can use all the fresh starts I can get.
Michael 11:11 AM 04-29-2021
There are mostly three reasons I started the new forum:
1) The old forum is becoming obsolete.
It is not mobile-ready and most of our users are on smart phones these days. The new forum accommodates all devices.

2) The old forum is not ranked on Google searches as well as before because it is not mobile-ready. Because of that, we are seeing less visitors and other mobile-ready childcare forums or websites are getting the traffic. Even though our forum is the most comprehensive and knowledgeable childcare conversational forum in the country.

3) our database of information is so large that it will not migrate to the new program even though it’s the same program. The servers and platforms that run it are no longer supported. Sventually the server will cease to function and the forum may disappear. I will keep trying to preserve it as long as I can.

Because it’s the best kept secret, visitors come here amazed that they have been in on the web and in childcare for decades an never knew we existed. That’s how much Google is restricting the old forum.

We bow to the web masters and conform with the new forum. It would be great to started getting high listing placement again from search engines and be able to move new members to read and learn from the forum’s knowledgebase. That would be the best of both worlds.

So you can choose either forum depending on your needs and preferences. After all, they are both free to use.
Cat Herder 11:44 AM 04-29-2021
By keeping the same one current members know who you are, immediately.

By changing it you reclaim some temporary anonymity.
dolores 12:28 PM 04-29-2021
Originally Posted by Michael:
There are mostly three reasons I started the new forum:
1) The old forum is becoming obsolete.
It is not mobile-ready and most of our users are on smart phones these days. The new forum accommodates all devices.

2) The old forum is not ranked on Google searches as well as before because it is not mobile-ready. Because of that, we are seeing less visitors and other mobile-ready childcare forums or websites are getting the traffic. Even though our forum is the most comprehensive and knowledgeable childcare conversational forum in the country.

3) our database of information is so large that it will not migrate to the new program even though it’s the same program. The servers and platforms that run it are no longer supported. Sventually the server will cease to function and the forum may disappear. I will keep trying to preserve it as long as I can.

Because it’s the best kept secret, visitors come here amazed that they have been in on the web and in childcare for decades an never knew we existed. That’s how much Google is restricting the old forum.

We bow to the web masters and conform with the new forum. It would be great to started getting high listing placement again from search engines and be able to move new members to read and learn from the forum’s knowledgebase. That would be the best of both worlds.

So you can choose either forum depending on your needs and preferences. After all, they are both free to use.
Got it! Are DOB and email address kept undisclosed to members and non-members?
dolores 12:31 PM 04-29-2021
Originally Posted by Annalee:
As an old-timer, seasoned provider, I can use all the fresh starts I can get.
Ditto !
Cat Herder 01:02 PM 04-29-2021
In user settings you can choose whether to show or hide that stuff.
Michael 01:08 PM 04-29-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
In user settings you can choose whether to show or hide that stuff.
Your email addresses are not disclosed. They are only accessible to Administrators like me.

Your DOB only shows month and day. Not year. It is mostly used for the calendar. The same applies on this forum. I removed the calendar here. I'm not sure if I want it on the new forum. It depends if you all need it to post or view events there.
dolores 01:36 PM 04-29-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
By keeping the same one current members know who you are, immediately.

By changing it you reclaim some temporary anonymity.

PB&J 04:34 PM 04-29-2021
In the old forum, I could click on a thread, hit “view first unread” (or some such), and pick up where I left off. In the new forum, I do see “latest activity” in each channel (aka thread), but it is in the “wrong” order for picking up where I left off. Am I doing something wrong, or is this the new normal?
Also, what is a “junior member”.
Michael 07:42 PM 04-29-2021
Originally Posted by PB&J:
In the old forum, I could click on a thread, hit “view first unread” (or some such), and pick up where I left off. In the new forum, I do see “latest activity” in each channel (aka thread), but it is in the “wrong” order for picking up where I left off. Am I doing something wrong, or is this the new normal?
Also, what is a “junior member”.
Because you didn’t have any posts you were relegated to a registered user. I upgraded you to a Daycare.com Member which should give you more benefits. Check it out and see if you can make the options the way you want now.
PB&J 04:35 PM 04-30-2021
Originally Posted by Michael:
Because you didn’t have any posts you were relegated to a registered user. I upgraded you to a Daycare.com Member which should give you more benefits. Check it out and see if you can make the options the way you want now.
Thank you! I’m still trying to figure out how to quote and reply in the right spot. I’ll practice and get there.

When I try to “catch up” where I left off and read just the newest replies to a channel, it still comes up most recent to least recent, which is disorienting (I’m reading responses to posts further down the line). Is there a setting that will send me to “first unread” and then in chronological order (like the old forum)? If yes, please explain. If not, I’ll adapt this old brain of mine.
Michael 07:10 PM 04-30-2021
Originally Posted by PB&J:
Thank you! I’m still trying to figure out how to quote and reply in the right spot. I’ll practice and get there.

When I try to “catch up” where I left off and read just the newest replies to a channel, it still comes up most recent to least recent, which is disorienting (I’m reading responses to posts further down the line). Is there a setting that will send me to “first unread” and then in chronological order (like the old forum)? If yes, please explain. If not, I’ll adapt this old brain of mine.
It seems that function is not available on the new forum. It may be something that I can set for all the channels but maybe not everyone will like it that way.

There is a function that will automatically take you to the last post. It is a little blue box with two >> at the right side of each channel. Click on that and it take you to the last post. I put a screen shot here for you to see. Its in the red box highlighted.
Attached: michael16 Apr. 30 19.05.jpg (39.5 KB) 
Tags:forum questions, new forum
Reply Up