Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Over Regulated Crap Trainings vs. Higher Ed Courses
Jo123ABC 09:08 AM 05-17-2021
Hey all!

I'm going to rant a little so bear with me. I just got off the phone with my state's training/education department. For my license in ND, I need to have so many hours of training per year plus sids. I decided a year ago to enter into the elementary education program at a really good university in my state. I'm minoring in early childhood so I will be able to work in either field. College courses sometimes work toward our training hours but they get to decide whether it's relevant or not to the profession in which many elementary ed classes are not. I'm so pissed about this! I think all classes required for a degree to work with children of all ages should be considered relevant. She even tried to belittle me by using her own masters degree in early childhood as an example. Saying she wouldn't be able to work in the elementary setting since her degree isn't for that. I couldn't help myself and told her my bachelor's in elementary with a specialty minor in early childhood will allow me to work in BOTH! Not that I should have to compare my degree to hers to be considered competent anyway. The lady down the street has been doing daycare for over 30 years and could knock me down with her skillset acquired from experience in the field. A degree isn't everything. Anyway, she said things would likely get more strict as too many providers suck basically. I commented that parents have the choice and final say on where there kid is going for care and they can choose license compliant daycares or "crappy" ones to their heart's content. It's their decision. She threw the "BUT WHO SUFFERS?!" card at me. Then she clutched that card for the entire conversation. Ugh! I'm so mad! Who is "for" allowing parents to make the decision on care up to their personal standards? I am. Why is this even a valid reason to not allow "certain" (most) higher Ed classes not to count. I can assure you, I'm learning much more relevant material in my $2,000 university course than I am in that crappy online training about adding sensory bins full of rocks to my classroom I feel like this is just another way to discourage providers and hold them back from their full potential by not allowing them to grow. A provider should be able to further their education without the state telling them whether it's good enough or not. This seems like just another push to do away with family childcare facilities. Why don't we all just take people's children away at birth and stick them in an extra regulated school to brainwash them to somebody's standards. This is all an argument over an intense and very relevant special education class I took by the way called "understanding individuals with different abilities".
Cat Herder 01:09 PM 05-17-2021
Welcome to the dark side. We have cookies.

I wish I could say it gets better, but that has not been my experience. What I have learned is that eventually it stops making you quite so angry and starts making you speak up every chance you are given. Play the game to the best of your ability and target each and every vulnerability they* (licensing) offer you. Shovel some gravel for those coming behind you.
Tags:college, higher education, north dakota, over regulation, regulations, special education, special needs children, training
Reply Up