Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCG Never Has To Go Potty
ihop 09:13 AM 10-10-2013
Literally. She is 2.5 and here at least ten hours a day, five days a week.

she is not potty trained but we are trying to work on it.
In the last two weeks she has had three wet pull ups. I put her on the potty every two hours an she just sits there like she doesn't know what to do and then after a few minutes says I'm done and gets up.

She drinks about 14oz of liquid while she is here. Never seems excessively thirsty

I have talked to dcm about it and she will look at dcg and say you are supposed to be peeing in the potty. I explain where she goes isn't an issue but rather that she isn't going at all. Dcm says she doesn't notice how often she goes since it is always in a pull up. She doesnt seem concerned at all

This seems very strange and worrisome to me. What do you think?
Play Care 09:32 AM 10-10-2013
IMO she isn't ready to potty train. I'd have her in diapers and revisit in a few months. This doesn't sound worrisome at all. I've had some non drinkers in the past, and what usually worked to get them to drink more was to offer a cool water bottle (water only) and allow them to carry it with them and drink as needed. For some reason that got them drinking more. Since it was only water it wasn't an issue for me (no sticky mess or rotten milk bottles laying around) but while I'd push fluids, I'd totally back off on the potty.
daycarediva 09:35 AM 10-10-2013
3 wet pullups in 10 DAYS? Yep, that would worry me as well. She could be intentionally holding it, which is my guess. I have a dcg who took a solid YEAR to feel comfortable enough to poop here and would be so secretive about peeing it was almost comical.
KBCsMommy 09:43 AM 10-10-2013
I'm going to watch this post!!

I have a dcg similar age, similar problem. She only pees once a day. It's so bad!! She doesn't pee during the night and holds it until about 9 a.m. and does one HUGE pee. EVERY MORNING. It is so bad she leaks through her diaper and on her clothes, sometimes it leaves a puddle on the floor (I have tile). She doesn't pee for the rest of the day, usually. Sometimes she will have another HUGE pee around 4 p.m.

I have to change her clothes every morning, it is ridiculous.

She refuses to potty train, and I am not about to start because this particular child has a very negative attitude about everything.
ihop 09:43 AM 10-10-2013
IMO she isn't ready to potty train either but she really likes to sit on. the potty and then wash hands so I let her.

I'm worried she isn't going at home either. They just took away sippy cups at home so I'm wondering how much she is truly drinking there. Of course mom says she is drinking a lot and all water. But I doubt it very much.

I'll keep encouraging her and pushing liquids. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a uti if she is indeed holding it.
Leigh 09:50 AM 10-10-2013
Originally Posted by ihop:
Literally. She is 2.5 and here at least ten hours a day, five days a week.

she is not potty trained but we are trying to work on it.
In the last two weeks she has had three wet pull ups. I put her on the potty every two hours an she just sits there like she doesn't know what to do and then after a few minutes says I'm done and gets up.

She drinks about 14oz of liquid while she is here. Never seems excessively thirsty

I have talked to dcm about it and she will look at dcg and say you are supposed to be peeing in the potty. I explain where she goes isn't an issue but rather that she isn't going at all. Dcm says she doesn't notice how often she goes since it is always in a pull up. She doesnt seem concerned at all

This seems very strange and worrisome to me. What do you think?
She is probably avoiding urination because her mom pesters her about how she is "supposed to go in the potty". She's not ready for training, nor is it healthy for her to drink only 14 oz. of liquid. I'd mix her water with 10% juice to encourage more liquid consumption-dehydration is simply not good.
ihop 09:52 AM 10-10-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
She is probably avoiding urination because her mom pesters her about how she is "supposed to go in the potty". She's not ready for training, nor is it healthy for her to drink only 14 oz. of liquid. I'd mix her water with 10% juice to encourage more liquid consumption-dehydration is simply not good.
Would you talk to mom about this?

She thinks that because she CAN hold it for a long time that MUST mean she is ready train.
Leigh 10:11 AM 10-10-2013
I would probably mention it in the most gentle way possible that daughter is at risk of dehydration. I would NOT mention that you are trying to encourage daughter to drink more-Mom just might have her own ideas about that (and they may not work for you). I would also tell her that you suspect daughter is holding it because she is afraid to go in her pull-up or diaper because she has been told to go in the potty. I would back it up with some very reputable article about how pushing kids into potty training too early or shaming them will often cause resistance from the child and make training more difficult (and less likely to happen).
sharlan 10:37 AM 10-10-2013
From the time she was 2, my niece would only pee twice a day. She went first thing in the AM and at night just before her bath. It didn't matter how often she was taken to the bathroom, she didn't go. She didn't have accidents, either.
mema 10:51 AM 10-10-2013
My dd only goes about 2 times a day, sometimes 3. She's 9, has never had a UTI and has been this way for a long time. When she went in for a well care visit, maybe around 3, I asked her dr about it. She said as long as she is going, not complaining of it hurting or seeing blood, and still drinking, then she's fine.
WImom 10:52 AM 10-10-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
That is what I'm thinking too. Mom is putting way too much pressure on her!
ihop 11:37 AM 10-10-2013
Well she went today! She was playing about ten minutes after I checked her and she kept chanting pee pee pee so I asked if she had to to go. Well she already had. Soaked through her pull up, onesie (dont you just love when they send a "pt ing" kid in those.), and her dress.

I definitely think she is holding it now.
Meyou 11:58 AM 10-10-2013
I've had a DCG who had very low output. She peed a couple of times a day and had always been that way. Mom warned me about it so I wouldn't be couldn't concerned. There was no medical reason and she was very healthy.
Blackcat31 12:32 PM 10-10-2013
There are some really good responses in this article/site

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/weekl...et_diapers.htm
ihop 01:08 PM 10-10-2013
Thanks blackcat! Great info in that article. I think next week I will stop asking her about going potty and see if she relaxes more. Also at home mom leave her naked.with no diaper because that's how she potty trained her boys. I see a whole other host of problems with that!
Tags:dehydrated, won't go potty
Reply Up