Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thinking Christmas Vacation Already!
MissAnn 10:31 AM 06-30-2011
Actually, I am redoing my parent handbook. I plan to take a one week paid vacation during Christmas vacation.....but now I see that Christmas and New Years lands on weekends. I usually take Christmas eve, day and New Years Day....which all land on weekends! So....I am planning on adding those 3 days before and my week off....extending my time off (and not cheating myself out of 3 paid holidays!)

What are your plans? Love to hear them before I hand out my handbook! Might like your ideas more!!!!
jojosmommy 10:44 AM 06-30-2011
I am off from Christmas eve until Jan 2 every year regarless of when those dates occur in the week. I always tell parents when they sign up, and again when I give out days off for the year at the beginning of the year. We have two big families so getting together on the actual holiday can be a stretch so this way we have a number of days off! Often times most of my parents are off or traveling anyway so rarely do they even need care.

I use it for dr appts, (end of the yr med deductions LOL) dental appts, and time to prep for my taxes. Exciting no. Necessary yes.
Cat Herder 12:48 PM 06-30-2011
I close the entire week of Christmas now. It is unpaid, so I budget for it during the year. It is worth it to me.
Lianne 01:18 PM 06-30-2011
Because Christmas Day and New Years Day fall on a Sunday, I will take the Tuesday and Friday off of the week between Christmas and New Years, with pay, instead. In Canada we get Boxing Day (Dec. 26th) as a stat holiday too but that already falls on the Monday. I will then take the Wednesday and Thursday off without pay but most clients pay me for those two days anyways.
SandeeAR 04:10 PM 06-30-2011
I take 11 Days off for Holidays. I do NOT charge my parents for these days.

I take Thanksgiving Day, Day after Thanksgiving. (I decorate for Christmas, not shop). I take Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and the Day after Christmas. I also take New Years eve.
MarinaVanessa 04:20 PM 06-30-2011
I don't take vacation off during the holiday season, I take a week off in July in the nice, warm, sunny weather instead. I do however take Christmas eve, Christmas and new years day off as paid holidays. If a holiday lands on a Saturday then I close the Friday before that, if it lands on a Sunday then I close on a Monday. If Christmas eve lands on a Friday and Christmas lands on a Saturday I close Monday (happened last year).

My farthest family lives 1hr and a half away so driving to and from their homes during the holidays is not a big issue so I don't see the point in taking off any time during the winter. I'd rather lay out in the sun in my bathingsuit than be in a sweater on my vacation
snbauser 04:44 PM 06-30-2011
I close the week between Christmas and New Year's every year as a paid vacation. I close at noon on Christmas Eve.
daycare 06:16 PM 06-30-2011
I have stated in my PHB that if a holiday should fall on a weekend, that i will take the friday before or the monday after the holiday off paid. Other wise, I would be stuck at home for every holiday and never get to travel to see any of my family.
blueclouds29 06:24 PM 06-30-2011
do you guys take the same vacation date? Like always the same week? Or does it change every year?
Crazy8 07:35 PM 06-30-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have stated in my PHB that if a holiday should fall on a weekend, that i will take the friday before or the monday after the holiday off paid. Other wise, I would be stuck at home for every holiday and never get to travel to see any of my family.
this is what I added to my contract the first time Christmas fell on a weekend.
daycare 07:39 PM 06-30-2011
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
this is what I added to my contract the first time Christmas fell on a weekend.
I made that mistake for 3 years lol. My family was angry at me for not closing. No one could come visit my home and I could not travel far to visit.
Holidays are a time for family so now this is my policy.
Sugar Magnolia 10:21 AM 07-01-2011
We are closed the week between Xmas and New Years...we don't charge tuition for that week BUT the annual supply fee for the new year IS due that week, so no real drop in income. Works for us
TBird 11:32 AM 07-01-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I close the entire week of Christmas now. It is unpaid, so I budget for it during the year. It is worth it to me.
Ditto...exactly what I do!!! My parents sign a tear-off and return it to me at the beginning of the year (or when they sign up). Haven't had an if, and, or but about it...EVER!!!
CheekyChick 02:00 PM 07-01-2011
I take the day after Thanksgiving, and the day after Christmas off - UNPAID. I haven't had a "typical' vacation in 6 years.
MissAnn 12:19 PM 07-02-2011
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
I take the day after Thanksgiving, and the day after Christmas off - UNPAID. I haven't had a "typical' vacation in 6 years.
Why not? I'm taking a week of (paid) during Christmas and an unpaid one during the summer. Hey...we need it!
Tags:christmas, vacation
Reply Up