Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>new client contracted time enforcement. help?
mim 03:16 PM 03-31-2015
I have a new dcg that started yesterday. At the interview I made very clear to dcm and dcd not to drop off dcg earlier than their contracted time of 8:30am. Well, yesterday was good. Today, 8:25am they ring my bell. Of coarse I cant ignore, as 5 littles are at the big window screaming the new dcg is here. I charge $10 per 15min or portion of that they arrive early. How do I aooroach dcm? I don't want to ignore, because then she may not think I enforce my policies. Perhaps mention it as a "I understand getting the time thing down can be a bit ricky, but for future, I won't be answering, or you will be charged" or charge this time and then she knows. Any advice would be helpful. TIA
Heidi 03:22 PM 03-31-2015
I guess because you already have children there, they may not see it as a big deal, and their clocks may not be synchonized to yours.

"Hey, DCM, I don't know if you realize that you were early yesterday, before it becomes and issue for us, lets make sure our clocks are set at the same time. I know it seems petty, but in order to do my job well, I do need to enforce certain things, and one of those is arrival times".

If they're using the clock in their car, then that may not be the same as yours, but if you go by your cellphones, they should be, kwim?
Unregistered 03:22 PM 03-31-2015
I offer a five minute window for drop off, so I wouldn't charge her, but if your policy is pretty clear and strict, then answer the door with a "you are early! I was not expecting you till 8:30, as we discussed!" Smile and stare And whe dck leaves, say to mom on the way out, "See you at 8:30!"
daycare 03:23 PM 03-31-2015
Originally Posted by mim:
I have a new dcg that started yesterday. At the interview I made very clear to dcm and dcd not to drop off dcg earlier than their contracted time of 8:30am. Well, yesterday was good. Today, 8:25am they ring my bell. Of coarse I cant ignore, as 5 littles are at the big window screaming the new dcg is here. I charge $10 per 15min or portion of that they arrive early. How do I aooroach dcm? I don't want to ignore, because then she may not think I enforce my policies. Perhaps mention it as a "I understand getting the time thing down can be a bit ricky, but for future, I won't be answering, or you will be charged" or charge this time and then she knows. Any advice would be helpful. TIA
I would let it go...... if you think about it this way, every where else in the world, showing up 5 min early is a good thing. i would shut my blinds or be where I can't be seen and just wait the 5 min to open or let it go.

I give all of my parents a 5 min window for drop off and pick up.
Thriftylady 03:24 PM 03-31-2015
I agree with the 5 min window. If it starts stretching earlier, then say something.
Heidi 03:29 PM 03-31-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I agree with the 5 min window. If it starts stretching earlier, then say something.
I'd agree with this, except for the one here parent that arrives first (by at least 10 minutes), and then shows up early (by another 5). Since I don't have a separate space right now, it'd be awkward to sit here and drink my coffee and ignore her (while she sees me in the window).

Next month, daycare will be downstairs (new house) with a separate entrance. Lights will come on when I "open", and if they're not on, I'll be sitting up on the upstairs deck waving "oh, hi...you're early, be right down...." putz putz putz...
mim 04:06 PM 03-31-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I'd agree with this, except for the one here parent that arrives first (by at least 10 minutes), and then shows up early (by another 5). Since I don't have a separate space right now, it'd be awkward to sit here and drink my coffee and ignore her (while she sees me in the window).

Next month, daycare will be downstairs (new house) with a separate entrance. Lights will come on when I "open", and if they're not on, I'll be sitting up on the upstairs deck waving "oh, hi...you're early, be right down...." putz putz putz...
That made me laugh.
Mine is supposed to be downstairs with its own entrance eventually. My dh doesn't even start on his honey do list; which it is on. It's only been 8 years, maybe only 8 more.

Thank you all so much, I decided to let it go and give it a couple days to get the timing down with the drive from home. so I didn't say anything today but if it gets longer I will definitely say something.
Shell 05:35 PM 03-31-2015
I posted almost the exact same thing over a year ago.

My new dc family arrived 5 mins early, and it really irked me.

A few posters said to give them time to adjust, which I did, but it became habit.

Then, I had another new family that would show 10-15 mins early and walk to my door. Dcm from the first scenario would see this family getting in early, and they both would come in. I had 5 kids before my day had officially started. 5mins a day, 5 days a week equaled 25 mins of free care.

Some don't think that's a big deal, but I do. Paired with the fact that family #2 was also picking up 5-10 mins late.

I had enough after about a week and a half and told both families that they are contracted for 8:00 and if they need earlier they would need to pay an early drop off fee. I don't think dcm #1 realized it was an issue for me, but family #2 was taking advantage at both drop off and pick up and it needed to stop (family has since been termed for a number of reasons).

I'm pretty sure it was BC that said something along the lines of how we can make exceptions for established and long standing clients, but with new ones we need to be firm- it wasn't necessarily in regards to the early drop off situation- but I think about that often.

I'm always trying to please new families, but they have to earn it, kwim?

I would give it a day or two, and nip it in the bud.
"Dcm, I noticed you've been arriving 5 mins early each day, and I really need each family to stick to their contracted hours."

If she needs an earlier time, attach a fee.
Kabob 05:20 AM 04-01-2015
I had a new family show up 5 minutes early...then 10...then 15...all in the span of the first week. Even with gentle reminders, they weren't getting it.

Finally, it stopped when I very bluntly said "Dcm, please don't arrive any earlier than your scheduled drop off time. I won't be accepting dck any earlier than that unless you ask at least 24 hours in advance and pay the additional fee. I can't operate my business not knowing exactly when to expect you. Thanks!"

No problems since. I don't freak if it is one or two minutes ahead of schedule here and there...I generally am a pretty flexible person for my daycare families...but as previous posters said...it is very easy for parents to go overboard if you don't enforce your policy.
Blackcat31 05:30 AM 04-01-2015
I would absolutely NOT let it go!

5 minutes every day for a week is a free half hour of daycare.

5 minutes every day for week at pick up and drop off is akin to a free hour of care.

If all families did that I'd be out 10-11 hours of care every week!

So I would absolutely address it with the mom and I would probably use the wording Heidi suggested with syncing clocks and making sure you both have the same times.

If I am going to allow a 5 minute grace period, it would be allowing them to be 5 minutes early for pick up (their time) because I don't think it's the provider who should have to give up 5 minutes of HER time (when it's already a LONG day).

If the parents want to have 5 minutes of free, then it needs to be their 5 minutes not mine.
Blackcat31 05:33 AM 04-01-2015
I would let mom know that 5 minutes adds up and it isn't just her family you provide care for (and need to have the same rules for all families).

What I've done is have two sign in sheets. One regular and one for early/late drop off or pick up.

If mom arrives early AFTER you discuss this....start handing her the EARLY drop off sign in sheet. That way she will visibly see she is early.

My early/late sign in/out sheets were BIG BOLD RED lettering so parents KNEW they were outside their contracted times.
laundrymom 06:07 AM 04-01-2015
I would ask at drop off,
Sarah, you've dropped off earlier than your contracted time. Do you need to change your contract? If so the new rate will add $xx.xx per week/day. If not and it happens again, I'll just tack on the early drop off fee of $20 per occurance.
mim 06:47 AM 04-01-2015
Thank you for the other responses. I totally understand the free care thing and it drives me bonkers. I don't think parents get it. I use every last minute before the next kid arrives. Yesterday she did stand outside a min becaus I knew that I should have enough time to get another batch of Waffle mix in the iron before she arrived. But she was early and I hadn't finished putting it in yet. I did finish while she waited outside.
But How do I charge more money for earlier drop off?
My rates show a base rate for 5+ contracted hours between 7:30-4:30. any time before or after is $2.00 per half hour or portion of. I think we would just change the time 15min earlier. how do you guys do it. Do you just keep your time frames to yourself and then set a rate depending on the hours they contract for originally? And then if they need to change to earlier drop off or later pick up then originally scheduled, It raises the rate or how? Thanks.
Blackcat31 07:55 AM 04-01-2015
Originally Posted by mim:
But How do I charge more money for earlier drop off?
My rates show a base rate for 5+ contracted hours between 7:30-4:30. any time before or after is $2.00 per half hour or portion of. I think we would just change the time 15min earlier. how do you guys do it. Do you just keep your time frames to yourself and then set a rate depending on the hours they contract for originally? And then if they need to change to earlier drop off or later pick up then originally scheduled, It raises the rate or how? Thanks.
If she is dropping off BEFORE 7:30 when she contracts for 7:30, then I would charge her what you are already charging PLUS an additional $2 every time she drops off before 7:30.

You can't really adjust for an earlier drop off unless you offer care before 7:30. If you do, then change her rate to include an additional $2 per day. If she is 5 days a week, add $10 to what she pays now.

My base rate is for families picking up by 3:00.

I add fees for every half hour after that they need care. They set the LATEST time they will pick up and that becomes their pick up time and dictates their weekly rate.

What each family pays is only between myself and that family. The only thing all families know is that the base rate for everyone starts out the same.

What my contracted times and rates are for each family is private though.
PitterPatter 08:29 AM 04-01-2015
I am so relieved to see I am not being petty about early drop offs! Pap drops DCG off 5 minutes early EVERY day for the last month. A friend said so what's 5 minutes. Well when I need every minute to get my own child out the door it's a lot. Well last week it started being another 5... 10 mis early. I commented that they are early and the Pap just sits down and complas as he does daily, about all his health woes. Yesterday they arrived 20 minutes early! I refused to open the door. They stood out there knocking, ringing the bell, then pounding because they must think I'm deaf! My dog is going nuts so I rip open the door and they step in. I tell Pap that it's too early daycare is not open yet, I am not ready for children. He looks at DCG and says "Uh Ohh" and takes her coat off! I said I didn't even get a cup of coffee yet. He tells me he had his he needs it to get going because ....alll of his health problems.. REALLY?

Anyway very very happy to see some advise on a topic I wasn't even going to bring up because I thought I was being petty. I need to make more time for hanging out here. I miss you guys!

Oh and another thing I called bluff in the past when DCM said according to her watch she is on time, ok so she should pick up 5 minutes early then since she arrived 5 mins early but nope her watch must take a 10 minute nap because she's always late for pick up yet according to her watch she's still on time lol
Gemma 08:51 AM 04-01-2015
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
A friend said so what's 5 minutes.
Parents thinks the same, but if you allow the "5 minutes" then they move another 5, and another 5....so it's not the "5minutes" it's the principle of being "on time", as agreed at enrollment time
mim 08:56 AM 04-01-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If she is dropping off BEFORE 7:30 when she contracts for 7:30, then I would charge her what you are already charging PLUS an additional $2 every time she drops off before 7:30.

You can't really adjust for an earlier drop off unless you offer care before 7:30. If you do, then change her rate to include an additional $2 per day. If she is 5 days a week, add $10 to what she pays now.

My base rate is for families picking up by 3:00.

I add fees for every half hour after that they need care. They set the LATEST time they will pick up and that becomes their pick up time and dictates their weekly rate.

What each family pays is only between myself and that family. The only thing all families know is that the base rate for everyone starts out the same.

What my contracted times and rates are for each family is private though.
She has a contracted time of 8:30am-5:00pm. She pays an additional $10/so for the 5pm pick up.
Unregistered 08:57 AM 04-01-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I would ask at drop off,
Sarah, you've dropped off earlier than your contracted time. Do you need to change your contract? If so the new rate will add $xx.xx per week/day. If not and it happens again, I'll just tack on the early drop off fee of $20 per occurance.
I've done this. It worked perfectly. Point across without a confrontation
Reply Up