Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>EXTREMELY ANNOYED. Time to Term?
Mdc613 03:23 PM 10-21-2015
This family is pushing my buttons every week. They are always 15-30 minutes early. They are late picking up at least once a week. They knowingly sent their sick kid here. They "forget" payment every week. They text me all evening about things that can be discussed at drop off or pick up. They switch their schedule on me constantly. They forget the diaper bag. And I only charge them part time but they are taking up 3 full time spots bc her schedule is different every week. It's just endless.

Today she texted me at her scheduled pick up time telling me that she's going to be late. She showed up an hour later.

So I texted her back and said "Please stick to the scheduled times you give me. I plan my appointments around the times given and have already had to make changes prior to today bc of not following schedule."

I also gave her an updated paper with new policies about late fees. (I've never charged late fees before)

Then I just received a text from her basically saying she "can't leave a kid in crisis just bc she wrote down a time on a piece of paper for me."

I just feel really down and disrespected. It is not a good feeling.
Heidi 03:36 PM 10-21-2015
"Since I am unable to accommodate your variable schedule, I will take this as your two weeks notice" or "since I am unable to accomodate your variable schedule, this serves as two weeks notice"
Thriftylady 03:38 PM 10-21-2015
Originally Posted by Mdc613:
This family is pushing my buttons every week. They are always 15-30 minutes early. They are late picking up at least once a week. They knowingly sent their sick kid here. They "forget" payment every week. They text me all evening about things that can be discussed at drop off or pick up. They switch their schedule on me constantly. They forget the diaper bag. And I only charge them part time but they are taking up 3 full time spots bc her schedule is different every week. It's just endless.

Today she texted me at her scheduled pick up time telling me that she's going to be late. She showed up an hour later.

So I texted her back and said "Please stick to the scheduled times you give me. I plan my appointments around the times given and have already had to make changes prior to today bc of not following schedule."

I also gave her an updated paper with new policies about late fees. (I've never charged late fees before)

Then I just received a text from her basically saying she "can't leave a kid in crisis just bc she wrote down a time on a piece of paper for me."

While I understand about the kids in crisis, you are leaving my family in crisis.
Laurel 04:28 PM 10-21-2015

If she can't leave a child in crisis, then she needs to have another pick up person who can be on time when she can't. It is HER responsibility to handle these kinds of things or have a back up who can.
Blackcat31 04:34 PM 10-21-2015
we teach people how to treat us
Attached: 10407546_10208141030793682_7085898867285800590_n.jpg (67.3 KB) 
lovemykidstoo 04:55 PM 10-21-2015
Do not let this person do this to you. You are worth so much more than that. I had a dad come 10 minutes late one time and I flat out told him that it was not to happen again. There is no way I would allow an hour late. Get rid of them.
Crazy8 05:07 PM 10-21-2015
oh I would definitely term!! I rarely ever terminate care, I am always afraid of losing the income, but this parent just told you her job is more important and it is time to send them on their way. I would be fuming!!! Let them go pay a center for that full time spot that you were not charging them for or let them walk all over someone else.

This would be grounds for immediate termination in my contract as well, no coming back and no refunds.

Good luck!!
midaycare 06:05 PM 10-21-2015
I would tell dcm she needs to find an alternate pickup. If she can't, the next late pickup is immediate termination.
Play Care 02:59 AM 10-22-2015
When they come early, why are you letting them in? I wouldn't even unlock my door before time.

But yes, it's time to term. Based on their response alone. The only acceptable response is "I'm so sorry, it won't happen again."
DaveA 03:18 AM 10-22-2015
Agree with previous posters- time to term. They aren't going to change what to them is a perfectly acceptable situation, so you need to do what is right for your program and family.
Mdc613 05:39 AM 10-22-2015
Thanks everyone. I'm still pretty new to all of this and haven't fully built up my back bone. Lol.

I'm terming them today at pick up. After they pay me.
laundrymom 05:41 AM 10-22-2015
Can't leave a kid in crisis? So she chooses to
Leave her own child in limbo?
Good for you for terming. I hope
It's effective immediately.
lovemykidstoo 05:45 AM 10-22-2015
Thanks everyone. I'm still pretty new to all of this and haven't fully built up my back bone. Lol.

I'm terming them today at pick up. After they pay me.
You can do it!!! You have to ask yourself what you're getting out of it. Especially the fact that they're taking 3 full time spots from you. So when she was an hour late, were they your last people of the day? You will feel so much relief when you term them, close the door and go have a glass of wine!!
KiddieCahoots 09:39 AM 10-22-2015
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
You can do it!!! You have to ask yourself what you're getting out of it. Especially the fact that they're taking 3 full time spots from you. So when she was an hour late, were they your last people of the day? You will feel so much relief when you term them, close the door and go have a glass of wine!!
And then come back here to let us know how it went
Mdc613 10:46 AM 10-22-2015
I did it!! I feel so much better now!

She called me on the way to pick up asking why she has to pay for Monday. (She was a no call no show). I told her bc she is taking up 3 spots while I'm sitting here wondering where she is. Then gave me the sob story that it's been a rough week and I need to be more understanding. Then got an attitude with me bc I made policy changes and put it in the diaper bag instead of talking to her face to face. She didn't appreciate finding it later that night. (I would have told her face to face but she was an hr late that day. Didn't have time).

There was way more to this convo. Just a lot of back and forth.

She finally showed up on time with the full amount for the week. She said she wants to call me over the weekend so we can get on the same page. I told her that it wouldn't be necessary bc I'm terminating care and today was their last day. She said "Well that's just great. The kids love it here." And she walked out the door.

And then I did a happy dance!! Lol
Ariana 10:52 AM 10-22-2015

She called me on the way to pick up asking why she has to pay for Monday. (She was a no call no show). I told her bc she is taking up 3 spots while I'm sitting here wondering where she is. Then gave me the sob story that it's been a rough week and I need to be more understanding. Then got an attitude with me bc I made policy changes and put it in the diaper bag instead of talking to her face to face. She didn't appreciate finding it later that night. (I would have told her face to face but she was an hr late that day. Didn't have time).

She finally showed up on time with the full amount for the week. She said she wants to call me over the weekend so we can get on the same page. I told her that it wouldn't be necessary bc I'm terminating care and today was their last day. She said "Well that's just great. The kids love it here." And she walked out the door.

Way to go DCM. Your kids were happy but you just couldn't get your act together long enough to make it work. She will find out how hard it is to find reputable daycare trust me!!
lovemykidstoo 10:57 AM 10-22-2015
Woohoo! I am so happy for you! Way to go!!
KiddieCahoots 10:57 AM 10-22-2015

Lol! More like dictate, guilt trip, whatever it takes, to get you to do it her way.

Love that feeling of relief.....So happy for you
Rockgirl 11:04 AM 10-22-2015
Good for you! What a relief, huh?

I termed a family in the summer for no call/no shows and repeated late pickups. I actually gave them notice a few weeks before that, and dcm literally begged me to let them stay, because dcg was so happy here, and she felt it was a great environment for her. They only lasted 3 weeks, because of.......no call/no shows and late pickups! Dcm has asked me 3 times since then to take them back--she promises it won't happen again! Nope.

All that really just to say your dcm might ask to stay--be strong!
Heidi 11:05 AM 10-22-2015

Yay!

Now, document everything and call your regulator with a heads up.
Blackcat31 11:20 AM 10-22-2015

If her kids loved it at your house then DCM should probably have made sure to be respectful and appreciative of you instead of doing nothing but give you a hard time about everything.

Too bad the kids don't know it's mom's fault they aren't coming anymore.

Good for you too for terminating care over this.

In this business, RESPECT is so necessary and without it, it creates stale air and makes the entire relationship between a provider and the parents uncomfortable.
daycarediva 11:24 AM 10-22-2015
Good for you! I agree, I give licensing a heads up whenever a disgruntled client leaves.

Crazy Baby 12:18 PM 10-22-2015

Good for you! Happy you got rid of them.

I have been doing home daycare for 2 years now and am starting to think that most parents SUCK! I can deal with the children, it's the parents' constant BS that drives me mad.

I have been thinking real hard about other job options lately.
Blackcat31 12:23 PM 10-22-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy Baby:
Good for you! Happy you got rid of them.

I have been doing home daycare for 2 years now and am starting to think that most parents SUCK! I can deal with the children, it's the parents' constant BS that drives me mad.

I have been thinking real hard about other job options lately.
I agree....... "this job would be great if it wasn't for the parents"

http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...ords=Tori+Fees

Crazy Baby 12:33 PM 10-22-2015

Unregistered 02:28 PM 10-22-2015
Way to go I would have definitely termed as well but then I am quick to do so. I'd rather be late on the bills than let these parents get away with violating MY policies!
Reply Up