Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Curriculum

Curriculum Post any curriculum ideas, activites or projects that wouldbe helpful to our Daycare community. What is your teaching philosophy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-10-2018, 09:05 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Exclamation Curriculum Fee Non Refundable

Hey! I received a notification that we owe curriculum fees for the upcoming school year on July 3. The handbook says that they are due July 1, but the daycare is giving everyone until July 10 to pay before late fees are posted. I notified the daycare on July 3, when I was given the bill, that we would not be coming in the fall, therefore we did not need the curriculum. They are telling us that it is a “nonrefundable” fee and therefore we still owe it and will be charged late fees until it is paid. My husband says we just will not pay, but they are saying they will take us to small claims court. Please help! Can they force us to pay for curriculum we will not use?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-11-2018, 07:16 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,805
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hey! I received a notification that we owe curriculum fees for the upcoming school year on July 3. The handbook says that they are due July 1, but the daycare is giving everyone until July 10 to pay before late fees are posted. I notified the daycare on July 3, when I was given the bill, that we would not be coming in the fall, therefore we did not need the curriculum. They are telling us that it is a “nonrefundable” fee and therefore we still owe it and will be charged late fees until it is paid. My husband says we just will not pay, but they are saying they will take us to small claims court. Please help! Can they force us to pay for curriculum we will not use?
It more than likely all depends on the wording in the contract.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-11-2018, 09:12 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

It states that the fees are due at the time of registration (March 5) or by July 1. The daycare did not send out notices to parents until July 3 that they had fees due. It states the fees are non refundable. I am not asking for a refund, we have not paid. I interpreted this to be that as long as we didn’t pay it, we are clear, we just would not receive the curriculum at the time of the class starting in August. The withdrawal policy states a two week notice is due, and I gave them more than a 3 week notice.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-11-2018, 10:03 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,805
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It states that the fees are due at the time of registration (March 5) or by July 1. The daycare did not send out notices to parents until July 3 that they had fees due. It states the fees are non refundable. I am not asking for a refund, we have not paid. I interpreted this to be that as long as we didn’t pay it, we are clear, we just would not receive the curriculum at the time of the class starting in August. The withdrawal policy states a two week notice is due, and I gave them more than a 3 week notice.
If the contract does not specifically state that you have to pay for curriculum if enrolled on July 1st (for the upcoming school year ~ Sept 2018) then I would think you are safe to feel you do not owe any additional fees.

However, be prepared for the relationship between you and the child care/staff to change due to this. They apparently feel they have a right to charge. You feel differently. If your child is still attending things will more than likely change and/or the relationship be a bit "cooler" than it has been.

Personally, I have never heard of a program that charges for curriculum in this way so it's definitely interesting but it is legally dependent on what the specific wording is in the contract.

I'd ask the child care director to show you the contract where it states you owe for a "product and/or service" you won't be using. I suspect the center *might* just be feeling as though they have the ability to influence your actions (payment) by threatening court.

If they did take the issue to the courts, they would bear the burden of proving their case so asking them to show you (prior to the situation developing into a court case) the written policy would be ideal.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-11-2018, 01:36 PM
Snowmom's Avatar
Snowmom Snowmom is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,109
Default

When you said you gave them 3 weeks notice, does that mean you are leaving in 3 weeks or that you just said 3 weeks ago that you're not coming in the fall?

What kind of curriculum? Is it a Fall-Spring preschool and summers are daycare only? When does the Fall session start and will your child be attending ANY days when it starts?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-11-2018, 01:44 PM
rosieteddy's Avatar
rosieteddy rosieteddy is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 841
Default

Also did your child start March 5?If so were you charged a curriculum fee then?It could be that they charge once a year for the year and your child was included from March till now with activities and such.If it is not a huge amount why not just pay it and leave on good terms.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-11-2018, 04:46 PM
CityGarden's Avatar
CityGarden CityGarden is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: The Happiest Place on Earth
Posts: 1,580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieteddy View Post
Also did your child start March 5?If so were you charged a curriculum fee then?It could be that they charge once a year for the year and your child was included from March till now with activities and such.If it is not a huge amount why not just pay it and leave on good terms.
Reading this I was thinking the same question.....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-12-2018, 10:12 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The curriculum is for the upcoming year starting Aug 2018. We will be leaving at the end of July, which is 3 weeks. We just notified them that we will not be coming in the fall, which we only felt obligated to tell them prior to the 2 week notice bc of them pushing the curriculum fees on us.

The relationship has already shifted since bringing this up. They will not even speak to me, and any correspondence they have is now done through the secretary, not the director or program director, which is not how it has been the past 3 years I’ve been there.

We were not leaving on a great note anyway bc of several recent issues at the daycare, this issue feels very retaliatory bc I was open (very respectfully) to the program manager on our reasons and issues.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
curriculum - free

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Substitute Caregiver Orientation Curriculum PLEASE HELP! Dia Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 0 03-08-2014 02:06 PM
Does This Sound Ok? (A Part In My Handbook About Curriculum) melilley Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 10 12-03-2013 08:24 AM
Curriculum: Weekly or Monthly Letters, Numbers, Shapes and Colors MarinaVanessa Curriculum 11 05-04-2013 09:40 AM
Help Me Revamp My Curriculum. All Ideas Welcomed! cheerfuldom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 09-09-2012 04:03 PM
For Those That Don't Use a Curriculum... SunflowerMama Curriculum 11 06-02-2010 01:31 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:44 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming