Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-25-2018, 06:32 AM
LeslieG's Avatar
LeslieG LeslieG is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 205
Default Late Charge? Or not?

Yesterday I had a daycare parent arrive 50 minutes late to pick up dcb because his car broke down. We couldn't get a hold of him because his phone died, so we didn't know what was going on. Would you still charge a late fee? I kind of feel bad doing so since it really wasn't his fault.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-25-2018, 07:04 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,831
Default

It was his fault. Gas stations have phones, wreckers have phones, pharmacies have phones, law enforcement officers have phones......

Adults with children have an expectation, responsibility, of keeping their phone charged and having back-up care/transportation for their children. This is a learning opportunity.

BTW, I don't buy the story. At all. Was the car seat in the trunk?
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-25-2018, 07:19 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieG View Post
daycare parent arrive 50 minutes late to pick up dcb
We couldn't get a hold of him


YOU feel bad?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-25-2018, 08:02 AM
LeslieG's Avatar
LeslieG LeslieG is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 205
Default

Thank you, ladies! I totally do believe him that his car broke down, but yes, I do still need to charge him.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-25-2018, 09:11 AM
Jupadia's Avatar
Jupadia Jupadia is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 507
Default

I would charge and they would be charged at the at my late no call rate of 1 dollar per min (if parents notify me they pay 10 per 30mins of care outside hour) parents would also receive a warning that if it happens again I may terminate. Second last thing I want to do is work extra time. Last thing I want to do is try to track down parents during that time.

Look at this way say it's your coworker late for work because their car broke down, you still get paid extra for staying late past your normal hours. Just cause it's your business dose not mean you should not also receive extra pay for extra time.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-25-2018, 09:17 AM
boy_mom's Avatar
boy_mom boy_mom is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 110
Default

Part of responsible parenting is having your phone charged and on! I would be sooo mad if a parent was late and did not have a plan in place to contact me!

I would not feel bad about charging at all!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-25-2018, 09:23 AM
DaveA's Avatar
DaveA DaveA is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,311
Default

In my contract I give families 1 late pickup without charging fee after 6 months attendance at my discretion. 50 minutes with no contract would make me absolutely charge them.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-25-2018, 09:45 AM
amberrose3dg's Avatar
amberrose3dg amberrose3dg is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: somewhere
Posts: 1,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieG View Post
Yesterday I had a daycare parent arrive 50 minutes late to pick up dcb because his car broke down. We couldn't get a hold of him because his phone died, so we didn't know what was going on. Would you still charge a late fee? I kind of feel bad doing so since it really wasn't his fault.
Just curious how did he pick up? how did he get help if his phone was dead. I am sorry but i would still charge and be mad he had no contact. 30 minutes no call no show here is abandonment and you could call the police.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-25-2018, 02:08 PM
LeslieG's Avatar
LeslieG LeslieG is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg View Post
Just curious how did he pick up? how did he get help if his phone was dead. I am sorry but i would still charge and be mad he had no contact. 30 minutes no call no show here is abandonment and you could call the police.
His wife picked up. She was at a doctor appt when I called and was very concerned at why his phone was going straight to voicemail. When she arrived she was almost in tears and very worried because she still hadn't heard from him. She texted when she got home and found out what was going on.

He was on his way to pick up dcb when his car broke down and his phone died. He was able to walk to his parents house. Once gre got there he called his wife.

I do believe that truly is what happened. Though, I will still be charging them a late fee.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-25-2018, 02:47 PM
CityGarden's Avatar
CityGarden CityGarden is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: The Happiest Place on Earth
Posts: 1,580
Default

Yes you need to charge the late fee. You can feel sorry DCD had an accident but please don't feel sorry for following your policies and the contract they signed. Had a child been left that long with me with no parent communication they would be picking their child up from the police station. Communication goes a long way with me....

It was DCD's fault to not have his phone charged. The most significant reason to have a cell phone is for emergencies on the go.... I feel this reason is lost with how much smart phones can do now. Also in this age of Uber/Lyft (again requiring a cell phone) had his phone been charged he could have called his wife (or someone) to pick up the child or taken an Uber/Lyft to do it.

Summer 2017 I was rear ended on my way to pick up my dd from summer camp.... my car was totaled, it was such a significant accident that I spent hours in urgent care and the car was totaled --- my first phone call was to arrange alternate pick up for my dd and she was picked up on time. Yes it sucked that I was in an accident but that was not the summer camps responsibility or burden.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-25-2018, 07:19 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGarden View Post
Yes you need to charge the late fee. You can feel sorry DCD had an accident but please don't feel sorry for following your policies and the contract they signed. Had a child been left that long with me with no parent communication they would be picking their child up from the police station. Communication goes a long way with me....

It was DCD's fault to not have his phone charged. The most significant reason to have a cell phone is for emergencies on the go.... I feel this reason is lost with how much smart phones can do now. Also in this age of Uber/Lyft (again requiring a cell phone) had his phone been charged he could have called his wife (or someone) to pick up the child or taken an Uber/Lyft to do it.

Summer 2017 I was rear ended on my way to pick up my dd from summer camp.... my car was totaled, it was such a significant accident that I spent hours in urgent care and the car was totaled --- my first phone call was to arrange alternate pick up for my dd and she was picked up on time. Yes it sucked that I was in an accident but that was not the summer camps responsibility or burden.
Not only should they be glad for that, I would term. When situations like this happen and I can't get the emergency contact to come, I term. A lot of parents think it's just a space to write any number. Nope. It's for your child's safety.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-25-2018, 11:32 PM
CityGarden's Avatar
CityGarden CityGarden is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: The Happiest Place on Earth
Posts: 1,580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not only should they be glad for that, I would term. When situations like this happen and I can't get the emergency contact to come, I term. A lot of parents think it's just a space to write any number. Nope. It's for your child's safety.
I would not term in this case but I do require three phone numbers (all local) to pick up children for emergency/illness, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-26-2018, 08:27 AM
Snowmom's Avatar
Snowmom Snowmom is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,109
Default



I just saw the tag on this post... "grow the duck up".

Made my day.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-26-2018, 09:14 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmom View Post


I just saw the tag on this post... "grow the duck up".

Made my day.
.....sometimes the tags are more entertaining than anything else!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ducking responsibility, enabling parents, grow the duck up, learned helplessness, life choices, parenting, responsibility

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Late Payment Question . . . and Hi, It's Been Awhile :-) spud912 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 07-13-2017 04:22 PM
Forever Late Crazy Baby Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 13 02-09-2017 10:57 AM
Late Pick up Policy/Fees & Sick Policy fitsngiggles18 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 5 12-07-2014 06:58 PM
When Contract Is Over, Can You Charge Late Payment Fee? legomom922 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 11-08-2010 08:11 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:16 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming