Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>TGIF!! Wwyd??
Familycare71 07:47 AM 10-25-2013
I'm feeling bad... I know it really isn't my fault but...
Have a 3 yr old dcb who complained his tummy hurt this am. Didnt think much if it because he has yet to poop here (doesn't like to anywhere but home)- he tooted and didn't say anything more. Then we were having snack. All seemed fine until he started gagging- I was right next to him so just watched to see if maybe he choked a little... Then came the dry heaves... We stood in front of the garbage for a little bit and they stopped- nothing come up. I called dad (who works nights and was sleeping) and explained what happened. He said he would come to pick up. By the time his dad got here (about 15 min) dcb was fine- happy, talking, etc... So of course I feel so bad!! I HATE stomach virus'. And I am thinking maybe I acted too quickly on this. But at the same time I don't feel like dry heaving is normal either!
Oh- and add to that I am pretty much positive this dcb will be using the stomach ache to attempt future early pick ups!
Wwyd- for the future??
Blackcat31 07:52 AM 10-25-2013
You really can only go by what the child says/does. He said his tummy hurt and her behaved as though he was going to throw up.

You HAVE to err on the side of caution since you are responsible for more than just him...kwim?

As far as the future and using not feeling well for an excuse...again, you can only go on what you know/see/hear.

Whether the child is lying or not isn't your job to figure out....that part is on the parents and if the child does lie just to get picked up early, his parents will catch on rather quickly.
Familycare71 07:54 AM 10-25-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
You really can only go by what the child says/does. He said his tummy hurt and her behaved as though he was going to throw up.

You HAVE to err on the side of caution since you are responsible for more than just him...kwim?

As far as the future and using not feeling well for an excuse...again, you can only go on what you know/see/hear.

Whether the child is lying or not isn't your job to figure out....that part is on the parents and if the child does lie just to get picked up early, his parents will catch on rather quickly.
Thank you!! I feel better... Once he dry heaved I felt like it crossed the line.
Play Care 09:38 AM 10-25-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
I'm feeling bad... I know it really isn't my fault but...
Have a 3 yr old dcb who complained his tummy hurt this am. Didnt think much if it because he has yet to poop here (doesn't like to anywhere but home)- he tooted and didn't say anything more. Then we were having snack. All seemed fine until he started gagging- I was right next to him so just watched to see if maybe he choked a little... Then came the dry heaves... We stood in front of the garbage for a little bit and they stopped- nothing come up. I called dad (who works nights and was sleeping) and explained what happened. He said he would come to pick up. By the time his dad got here (about 15 min) dcb was fine- happy, talking, etc... So of course I feel so bad!! I HATE stomach virus'. And I am thinking maybe I acted too quickly on this. But at the same time I don't feel like dry heaving is normal either!
Oh- and add to that I am pretty much positive this dcb will be using the stomach ache to attempt future early pick ups!
Wwyd- for the future??
That's happened to me too, and I felt bad But I do think it's up to the parents to play the "heavy" and if their child is trying to fake illness to go home, then they need to make that not such an attractive option.

Although I wonder if he had to poop and was trying to get home so he could - in which case I think you and the parents might need to have a come to Jesus chat with him...
Familycare71 09:49 AM 10-25-2013
I really don't think the dry heaving was fake - he is a young three and he seemed scared and confused. His eyes watered and he was off for a few min after.
I think the fake sickness will come because he got picked up this time- he values his mommy/daddy time
Reply Up