Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Constantly Supervising Sleeping Infants
preschoolteacher 08:43 PM 04-29-2013
Hey everyone--

I came across some information that says that, in certain states, providers are required to maintain visual supervision of infants at all times, including when the infants are sleeping.

Does anyone know if this is the case in MN? I read the licensing rule and it doesn't appear there.

For anyone who has this regulation in their state--how does this even work? How can you get an infant to sleep and stay asleep if he/she is in the same room with you and all the other kids? That's the only way I can think a provider could manage constant visual supervision unless video monitors count. Do video monitors count?
mrw_mn 10:15 PM 04-29-2013
I know things are tightening up in MN. I am in the process of getting licensed and frequently chat with my friends/neighbors that do daycare. I heard last week that kids need to be checked on every 15 minutes while napping, must have a monitor if they are on a different floor. I don't now about the video monitor, if that would count for physically checking or not.
mamac 10:24 PM 04-29-2013
I didn't see anywhere in MN regs where it said anything about supervision during nap time. I didn't even see anything about supervision in general for MN. ?? I know in MA we have to supervise infants under 6 months. "Children who are younger than six months of age at the time of enrollment must be under direct visual supervision at all times, including while napping, during the first six weeks they are in care." It doesn't say anything else about nap time that I can see. I remember being told during my inspection that I could be in the next room but to check in every 15 minutes. I just can't find that written anywhere so I'm not even sure what to do when I open. I can't imagine the kids going to sleep with me hovering over them.

I also didn't see anything as far as regs go for video monitors except a "safe sleep" policy that says not to rely on them to help prevent SIDS. (for MA)
Blackcat31 06:26 AM 04-30-2013
MN licensing rules state a provider must be within sight or sound of an infant at all times.

Video monitors as well as auditory only monitors are acceptable under licensing rules.

I was told by my licensor when I first opened that an infant should never be behind closed doors until after 12 months. I have ALWAYS followed that even though it may not be the actual rule. I guess I am not positive as I have always erred on the side of caution as one can never be too safe...kwim?

As far as being concerned about an infant sleeping right in the same room with other busy/noisy kids, it can be done and done easily.

I have had many many infants come through my program and ALL of them have slept in a crib/pnp right in the kitchen area in the middle of EVERYTHING.

It isn't hard when the parents work WITH you. IME, sleeping with noise is just a simple "conditioning" that most infants adjust to easily.

9502.0315 DEFINITIONS
Subp. 29a. Supervision.

"Supervision" means a caregiver being within sight or hearing of an infant, toddler, or preschooler at all times so that the caregiver is capable of intervening to protect the health and safety of the child. For the school age child, it means a caregiver being available for assistance and care so that the child's health and safety is protected.

lilcupcakes09 06:37 AM 04-30-2013
I agree with BlackCat...all of my infants start out taking naps in pnps in the middle of the chaos in our playroom, it doesnt bother them and they adjust easily.

I think it makes them better sleepers in the long run. The last thing you want is a baby who will only sleep when it is quiet, that is the worst habit to form!
Cradle2crayons 06:44 AM 04-30-2013
Originally Posted by lilcupcakes09:
I agree with BlackCat...all of my infants start out taking naps in pnps in the middle of the chaos in our playroom, it doesnt bother them and they adjust easily.

I think it makes them better sleepers in the long run. The last thing you want is a baby who will only sleep when it is quiet, that is the worst habit to form!
Agreed again. When I have an infant, it gets a pnp in the green room with the door wide open.... And yes with the older kids running down the hall playing as noisily as they want. Noting worse than having an infant who is used to sleeping only during complete silence..
crazydaycarelady 07:11 AM 04-30-2013
Originally Posted by :
MN licensing rules state a provider must be within sight or sound of an infant at all times.
This is how it is for MT too. I think it is unrealistic to expect visual at all times. That sounds to me like another government desk surfer who has never been in an actual daycare making up rules.
Play Care 07:28 AM 04-30-2013
The last two infants I've had would not nap in the PNP in the same room as everyone else I tried my best. I do think infants do need that type of supervision in group care and it's one of the main reasons I try NOT to take infants at all.
In my state I am allowed to nap an infant or child in a different room as me so long as I have a monitor in the room, the door is open and I physically check every 15 minutes. But my open floor plan on the main level makes this impossible.
Blackcat31 07:36 AM 04-30-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
In my state I am allowed to nap an infant or child in a different room as me so long as I have a monitor in the room, the door is open and I physically check every 15 minutes. But my open floor plan on the main level makes this impossible.
That's exactly what we are suppose to do as well but for MY personal peace of mind, I choose to keep the infants in the same room just to make the supervision easier.

I only take infants of families I already have enrolled so that helps a lot as those parents already know my routine/philosophy.

When I first opened, we had a provider here in town that had a baby die of SIDS in her care. She never really recovered.

I think that since I do take (some) infants, it is their best interests as well to "train" them from the get-go to sleep in a noisy/busy environment.

I know it isn't a cure and it certainly isn't a guarantee but it makes me feel better that I AM doing everything in my power to supervise an infant 100% of the time with my own eyes....kwim?
preschoolteacher 08:14 AM 04-30-2013
I understand what you are saying, and I agree... I'd like to figure out a system so this can work for me, too.

BC and others, you said you trained the babies to sleep with noise, but how? I'm REALLY curious how this worked out for you. I can see it being possible if you start out with a very young infant since they fall asleep anywhere and everywhere. This would have worked with my son until he turned 4 months old. At that point, any sound disturbs him and wakes him when he's sleeping. If I tried to get him to nap right now in a room full of kids, or even in an adjoining room, I can guarantee that he would be standing up in his crib and crying his head off. Obviously he's not a great example since he's 9 months old and not used to sleeping this way... do you think it's impossible to teach an older baby to sleep like this? What methods did you use for younger babies?

Honestly, this isn't something I have considered well enough in my planning. I believe in MN (and correct me if I'm wrong), that infants under 12 months cannot sleep in Pack-n-Plays and must sleep in cribs. I could put a pack-n-play in our living room, which adjoins the daycare area and would give me complete visual supervision but put the baby in his/her own space.... but I really can't imagine keeping a crib set up in my living room at all times.

This is making me reconsider accepting any infants.
Willow 08:25 AM 04-30-2013
I'm in MN, have pack n plays and licensing has always said they're just fine.

I've always known regs here to require sight or sound during care.
Blackcat31 08:36 AM 04-30-2013
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
I understand what you are saying, and I agree... I'd like to figure out a system so this can work for me, too.

BC and others, you said you trained the babies to sleep with noise, but how? I'm REALLY curious how this worked out for you. I can see it being possible if you start out with a very young infant since they fall asleep anywhere and everywhere. This would have worked with my son until he turned 4 months old. At that point, any sound disturbs him and wakes him when he's sleeping. If I tried to get him to nap right now in a room full of kids, or even in an adjoining room, I can guarantee that he would be standing up in his crib and crying his head off. Obviously he's not a great example since he's 9 months old and not used to sleeping this way... do you think it's impossible to teach an older baby to sleep like this? What methods did you use for younger babies?.
Honestly, there is no magic formula....it just works for me. I get the infants at a young age and just place them to sleep in the PNP with all the kids/noise and they sleep.

It might help that I only take FULL time infants so they nap/sleep here a good portion of their days and are just used to it.

I also ask that parents try to make sure they don't have the infant sleep at home in pure silence....play music, leave the door open, have them nap in the main area of the house, be loud ON PURPOSE.

I may be just lucky, I don't know but I honestly haven't had a single infant have issues with it and all of them have slept this way until I start the transition to a nap mat.....which is anywhere from 12-16 months, depending on the child.

I have had ONE infant that was HORRID! Child was a total rage baby.....Honestly don't know HOW I survived or WHY I continued and didn't term....but it had nothing to do with sleeping....just hated being an infant. The child is now 2 and a perfect angel.

Sorry that isn't much help but that's MY experiences.

Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
Honestly, this isn't something I have considered well enough in my planning. I believe in MN (and correct me if I'm wrong), that infants under 12 months cannot sleep in Pack-n-Plays and must sleep in cribs. I could put a pack-n-play in our living room, which adjoins the daycare area and would give me complete visual supervision but put the baby in his/her own space.... but I really can't imagine keeping a crib set up in my living room at all times.

This is making me reconsider accepting any infants.
You are correct that licensing rules state NO playpens with mesh siding.

HOWEVER, when I questioned my licensor, she said this does NOT include PNP's only playpens (??) and has always passed my inspections with no issue and I haven't used an actual crib in years.

I think they don't know where to actually categorize the PNP since it really isn't a playpen (as us older folks know them to be) and it really isn't a crib either so she just checks to make sure the mesh is in good shape with no rips, tears or holes and that the mattress is firm and flat and signs off on it all.

I suppose it is up to each individual licensor or area I don't know. I've had 3 licensors in 20+ years and all have okay'ed the PNP's.
Play Care 09:11 AM 04-30-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That's exactly what we are suppose to do as well but for MY personal peace of mind, I choose to keep the infants in the same room just to make the supervision easier.

I only take infants of families I already have enrolled so that helps a lot as those parents already know my routine/philosophy.

When I first opened, we had a provider here in town that had a baby die of SIDS in her care. She never really recovered.

I think that since I do take (some) infants, it is their best interests as well to "train" them from the get-go to sleep in a noisy/busy environment.

I know it isn't a cure and it certainly isn't a guarantee but it makes me feel better that I AM doing everything in my power to supervise an infant 100 of the time with my own eyes....kwim?
I totally agree with you, that's why I said I do believe they DO need that level of supervision. I just wanted the OP to be aware that some infants will not adjust to that type of sleeping arrangement even with some pretty heroic efforts by parents and provider. I do think the provider needs to be very upfront about the possibility of the situation not working out due to sleeping arrangements/requirements. I would never again keep the infants I had knowing what I know now.
Reply Up