Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Hours...Contract wording
Sprouts 10:21 PM 04-30-2013
Hi All

I am changing my summer hours and have written a formal letter to parents letting them know.

One parent is pulling child because change of hours and is refusing to give two weeks notice because she feels I "am not keeping my promise"

she is stating that on my contract it doesn't mention that my hours are subject to change at my discretion,

so how do I word to parents that my hours are subject to change and they have the choice to stay or to pull but must give two weeks notice...i need some good wording, thanks.
Starburst 10:55 PM 04-30-2013
It depends on if you word your contract in 3rd person (the provider) or in the first person (me, I) but here are general statements.

In third person:
"The provider has the right to change the operation hours of the child care home at will, for both short-term or long-term periods. The provider will try to give as much notice as possible if such an event occurs before new business hours are enforced. If new hours do not meet the needs of an enrolled family, the family may choose to stay and make other arraignments for arrival/departure times or find alternative care. If the family decide to leave the program they must give the provider the standard 2 weeks notice.

In first person:
"I reserve the right to change the operation hours of the child care home at will, for both short-term or long-term periods. I will try to give as much notice as possible if such an event occurs before my new business hours are enforced. If new hours do not meet the needs of an enrolled family, the family may choose to stay and make other arraignments for arrival/departure times or find alternative care. If the family decide to leave the program they must give the standard 2 weeks notice."

May also want to add (optional):
*** If the new times lapse over current contract hours and new hours of operation, a new contract maybe needed and must be revised by both the provider and the parents/guardians, if the guardians choose to stay with the provider"

That is something I didn't think about though, I should put something like that in my contract/policies because I plan on starting out with my hours being 6am-6pm and later down the line I may want to start later or end earlier when I have kids or if I decide to take night classes.
Sprouts 03:32 AM 05-01-2013
Thank you !

I am just wondering though, can she void my contract because I don't have this wording already?

The contract I have states she needs to give me a two weeks notice if she decides to cancel. I gave the date of June 14 for the hour change , but she is stating that if she finds something right away she doesn't have to give notice
momofboys 04:55 AM 05-01-2013
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
Thank you !

I am just wondering though, can she void my contract because I don't have this wording already?

The contract I have states she needs to give me a two weeks notice if she decides to cancel. I gave the date of June 14 for the hour change , but she is stating that if she finds something right away she doesn't have to give notice
I have a hard time believing that whoever she finds as a replacement can't wait a week or two. In addition your change isn't taking place for over a month. Fiddle faddle on her! If your contract states she needs to give 2 weeks notice not sure why she thinks she can wiggle out of it, hour change or not!
julie 05:37 AM 05-01-2013
Mary, I understand if the new hours don't work for you. However, if you are pulling, you need to provide two weeks of paid notice as you have agreed to in the contract. I am upholding my promise by giving you six weeks notice of the change, therefore the old hours would still apply during your notice period and nothing about our old agreement would change while you are here. I expect payment for your two weeks by such and such a date, or I will be forced to send it to collections. Thank you for your understanding.

TheGoodLife 06:23 AM 05-01-2013
Hi All

I am changing my summer hours and have written a formal letter to parents letting them know.

One parent is pulling child because change of hours and is refusing to give two weeks notice because she feels I "am not keeping my promise"

she is stating that on my contract it doesn't mention that my hours are subject to change at my discretion,

so how do I word to parents that my hours are subject to change and they have the choice to stay or to pull but must give two weeks notice...i need some good wording, thanks.
Unless you are not giving at least the 2 weeks notice of hour changes, she should still be required to give the notice. (i.e. if your hours are the same for the next two weeks, her notice is required) It sounds like you are not changing hours until the summer? I think it would hold up in court.
TheGoodLife 06:25 AM 05-01-2013
Thank you !

Didn't read this before last post- yeah, she would need to give notice or pay the 2 week's tuition as in the contract. I like the wording on Julie's letter.
Blackcat31 06:28 AM 05-01-2013
Originally Posted by julie:
Mary, I understand if the new hours don't work for you. However, if you are pulling, you need to provide two weeks of paid notice as you have agreed to in the contract. I am upholding my promise by giving you six weeks notice of the change, therefore the old hours would still apply during your notice period and nothing about our old agreement would change while you are here. I expect payment for your two weeks by such and such a date, or I will be forced to send it to collections. Thank you for your understanding.
VERY professional and states what is expected and what will happen if the required action (2 weeks notice AND payment) doesn't happen.

I personally wouldn't say anything more. I would not continue to try and explain your reasons. I would simply stop the discussion, state the above and leave the ball in this family's court......

or you will see them in court.
MarinaVanessa 07:21 AM 05-01-2013
Hi All

I don't think that it's smart to simply limit yourself to the change of hours, I think you should add that you can change any policies.

"Revisions
Revisions to policies in the parent/provider contract or in this handbook will be done with a minimum of two weeks’ notice unless it is a new state regulation in which these changes will take place immediately.
"

This way you aren't just limiting yourself to being able to change your hours, you can change anything at all just as long as you give them advance notice.
Sprouts 07:52 AM 05-01-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I don't think that it's smart to simply limit yourself to the change of hours, I think you should add that you can change any policies.

"Revisions
Revisions to policies in the parent/provider contract or in this handbook will be done with a minimum of two weeks’ notice unless it is a new state regulation in which these changes will take place immediately.
"

This way you aren't just limiting yourself to being able to change your hours, you can change anything at all just as long as you give them advance notice.

Tags:change of hours and contract
Reply Up