Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Deductions: Time Space, % Use, or 100%
Margarete 12:50 PM 08-03-2013
I'm sure these are answered somewhere else, but I'm having a hard time finding it.

I have 1 daughter, and several DCKs. So all toys get used/ abused much more by the dcks then my own family. Do all toys get deducted under time space if she uses them sometimes on off times? Can I instead use % use for the time she's awake and and has access to the toys vs day care time which would be higher, or maybe something based on the number of kids and hours they have access?
What about toys and supplies that I buy more of of so all kids can have one, or play with similar items together at the same time. I'm thinking that would be 0 for the 1st one, and then 100% for the rest, but I'm not sure if all toys would need to be time space.

I may just do time space or 100% at the end of the year to keep it simple (what I did last year), but trying to figure out what's allowed with % use.

If we get a periodic cleaning service because we have a dc (we would not be getting it or deep cleaning as often otherwise), is that 100% deductible, or time/space?

Thank you
Michael 02:19 PM 08-03-2013
Check here: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ace+percentage
TomCopeland 01:13 PM 08-04-2013
Originally Posted by Margarete:
I'm sure these are answered somewhere else, but I'm having a hard time finding it.

I have 1 daughter, and several DCKs. So all toys get used/ abused much more by the dcks then my own family. Do all toys get deducted under time space if she uses them sometimes on off times? Can I instead use % use for the time she's awake and and has access to the toys vs day care time which would be higher, or maybe something based on the number of kids and hours they have access?
What about toys and supplies that I buy more of of so all kids can have one, or play with similar items together at the same time. I'm thinking that would be 0 for the 1st one, and then 100% for the rest, but I'm not sure if all toys would need to be time space.

I may just do time space or 100% at the end of the year to keep it simple (what I did last year), but trying to figure out what's allowed with % use.

If we get a periodic cleaning service because we have a dc (we would not be getting it or deep cleaning as often otherwise), is that 100% deductible, or time/space?

Thank you
If the only time items are being used are during day care hours, I'd deduct 100% of the cost. If your own child is using the items after day care hours, I'd use the Time-Space%. If you feel that your time-space% is not an adequate measure of how you use your items for your business, you can calculate your own actual business use%. It's not why you bought something that determines its business use, rather it's how you use the item in your business. So, if your cleaning service only cleans 100% business areas, you can deduct 100% of the cost. Otherwise use your time-space%.

For more on the time-space % see: http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/time-...ercentage.html
Tags:time space percentage
Reply Up