Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Talked to My Mentor Today.....
Lil'DinoEggs 12:54 PM 01-01-2014
....and I am really excited.

Plans have shifted and we will be at our current location for a few years. I thought it would be great: I can plan for my career, keep doing DC, go back to school, etc.

We talked a lot but she said, "You are extremely qualified for a lot of [child care, early education] positions. You do not need anymore school."

I told her my two year plan and she said that is great but I should start looking now because nothing will really change.

One important thing she said I wanted to share was

"Women tend to think we need to have a certain degree or a certain amount or type of experience, then we can apply for the job. Men tend to apply for the job then get the degree or experience. In today's job market, employers are more open to alternative backgrounds. Therefore, learn to sell yourself."
Michael 01:24 PM 01-01-2014
Originally Posted by Lil'DinoEggs:
In today's job market, employers are more open to alternative backgrounds. Therefore, learn to sell yourself."
This today is so true. We need to brand/market ourselves. That is why a personal website is so important in the future if you are trying to sell your ideas or business.
Tags:marketing
Reply Up