Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Spinoff of My Baby Doll Question
cheerfuldom 08:50 PM 05-07-2014
okay so I am thinking, why do baby dolls when I have a bunch of toddler boys who do not ever play with those and then preschool girls that prefer the 18 inch dolls and accessories? maybe just change the baby doll area to the 18 inch doll area? any recommendations? what do your kids actually play with....just the dolls and clothes? or maybe I should get some furniture and stuff to go with them?
Cradle2crayons 08:59 PM 05-07-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
okay so I am thinking, why do baby dolls when I have a bunch of toddler boys who do not ever play with those and then preschool girls that prefer the 18 inch dolls and accessories? maybe just change the baby doll area to the 18 inch doll area? any recommendations? what do your kids actually play with....just the dolls and clothes? or maybe I should get some furniture and stuff to go with them?
My kids prefer the furniture to clothes. and they prefer the 18 inch dolls. I buy the cheapest preemie diapers for them Nd "make" baby wipes. They don't really dress hem just like to pretend to give them medicines with play syringes (all of my daycare kids take meds of some kind so it's normal babies take meds too). They love putting them on the doll furniture and also I have the dr set up there so hey can take their blood pressure etc. I m. Nurse so it's not hard to get real newborn medical supplies like BP cuffs, stethoscopes etc.

Also, the 18 inch dolls are EASY to make cute shorts for. I buy solid preemie onesies for them and match them to shorts I make. The shirts to match are easy as pie tooooo!
TaylorTots 09:12 PM 05-07-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Toddlers (boy and girl) both love the babies and the baby feeding accessories. Clothes just gather dust. Blankets for the babies always end up being claimed and turned into daycare loveys so we only have a couple of those left in the drawers!

Preschoolers (girls) could care less, they like their dramatic play to the theme of the kitchen or a made up doctor office or me making a bit "fort" tent for them for a couple hours, etc.

ETA: And dress up! OMGoodness we have pilot/officer/princessesx5/doctor/nurse/etc outfits and kids of EVERY age love them
cheerfuldom 09:20 PM 05-07-2014
Originally Posted by TaylorTots:
Toddlers (boy and girl) both love the babies and the baby feeding accessories. Clothes just gather dust. Blankets for the babies always end up being claimed and turned into daycare loveys so we only have a couple of those left in the drawers!

Preschoolers (girls) could care less, they like their dramatic play to the theme of the kitchen or a made up doctor office or me making a bit "fort" tent for them for a couple hours, etc.

ETA: And dress up! OMGoodness we have pilot/officer/princessesx5/doctor/nurse/etc outfits and kids of EVERY age love them
I didnt mean to say that toddler boys wouldnt like doll stuff.....but I have three toddler boys here that never touch the doll items. they do like the dramatic play though and my son will dig thru the dress up box on occasion.
I agree with the blanket issue though so that is why my mom crochets small blankets for the dolls about the size of a tissue!
Meyou 02:28 AM 05-08-2014
My group has always liked the 18" babies, doll furniture (cradles, high chairs etc), blankets (a large piece of fleece cut into squares) and they have never played with the clothes.
SignMeUp 09:53 AM 05-08-2014
My kids love the tiniest dolls the most, so much that I put my nice bigger dolls away a while ago. I'm sure I got these at Target a few years back. I sewed their little outfits closed because otherwise we just have naked baby dolls
My older kids are all boys and still love the dollies. I guess it just depends on the kid They all have younger siblings too, so maybe that makes a difference.
And I also crochet little doll blankets. There are sometimes little arguments over favorites, but I can make one in half an hour or so, so no biggie. I just whip off another one at naptime
CraftyMom 10:17 AM 05-08-2014
My dck's go through toy phases. For a while they didn't touch the doll stuff so I put it away about a month ago. Today for some reason they were in a baby playing mood so I brought it all back out and they all played babies for a long time!
Sunshine74 10:30 PM 05-08-2014
Originally Posted by TaylorTots:

Our older 2's love wrapping the babies and covering them for their "naps". We have somewhere between 5 and 8 receiving blankets and need more, there never seems to be enough.
SignMeUp 06:49 AM 05-09-2014
Originally Posted by Sunshine74:
Our older 2's love wrapping the babies and covering them for their "naps". We have somewhere between 5 and 8 receiving blankets and need more, there never seems to be enough.
I always wonder if this kind of play will fade away because we can't use blankets in cribs anymore.
KiddieCahoots 07:17 AM 05-09-2014
My kids love the baby dolls!
I buy the preemie outfits for them to practice buttoning and zipping. And when there are new outfits on the baby dolls, it's like the baby doll is brand new too!
They like to use the doctor kits on the baby dolls too.
I have a baby in the child care now though, and the care I give to the baby, I will see them mimic to their baby doll. It's precious!
spinnymarie 07:25 AM 05-09-2014
My kids love the dolls too, mainly for stroller/shopping cart rides or for putting to bed or playing doctor. I think the accessories make it or break it
daycare 08:55 AM 07-26-2017
let me guess, QRIS standards??
flying_babyb 09:19 PM 07-26-2017
My kids love the bigger dolls. Ours are all 16 inch soft dolls. The most loved one of the bunch? the African american doll! I had one little girl grab it today, run up to a friend and yell"its brown like you! Hes brown too," as he pointed to a friend. Love the cultural exchange. We have one outfit per doll, cause my kids just like to make them naked. We have 2 blankets per doll, cause the kids like to use them to play naptime. I work with 1-3 year olds. Accessories are only fun for a few days then ignored. The most popular thing in our home living area right now? High heel shoes that a coworker donated. Nothing better than a little boy running around in 1 inch pink wedge heels
Tags:dolls, qris
Reply Up